Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49715 times)

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
Quick SP review for full game

The good:
  • Game plays very well, everything has a slick and smooth feel to it, from the gameplay, to the tight controls, even the graphics
  • There's a nice variety of memorable enemies; each with a unique attack and strategy to defeat. Designs are excellent as well
  • Music and sound effects really are top notch, Den Wenz (as well as other composers) really did a fantastic job in this department. All weapons feel weighty and satisfying, something I remember D3 was lacking. Music definitely reminds me of Descent
The meh:
  • Story is reasonably engaging, though not a masterpiece by any stretch, I guess I shouldn't have been expecting too much given its not the focus of the game, but I still would've like a bit more in terms of lore. Then again I suppose that can be saved for the sequel
  • The graphics (as much as I like them) lack the striking visual style that Descent 1 + 2 had. Can't quite put my finger on why, not colorful enough maybe?
Spoiler:
Gabriel Kantor is something of a mix of Samuel Dravis and Aken Bosch. In fact, his ultimate fate is similar to what Jason Scott had in mind for Bosch in FS2.
The bad:
  • Suicide robots (who's names escape me) are extremely annoying to fight; there small, hard to hit, fast, and do a crap-load of damage over a large area
  • Bosses are a little underwhelming, there are 3 and I think I only died twice. The bosses in Descent were often a bit OP (looking at you D1 L7 boss), so I guess this is an attempt to rectify this, but they went a bit too far
  • There is an annoying bug where I have to load and save outside doors to make them open after blowing the reactor, not game breaking, but definitely a bit mood breaking.

Just started the multiplayer and I got my backside handed to me, but I think I'll persist.

Really hope they add campaign co-op at some point, though I remember Mike saying the required AI changes would be substantial.

As a Descent fan, I give this a solid 8.5/10. Would be curious to know what someone new to the genre would give it.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:11:05 am by rubixcube »
Stuff

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Playing through now and really enjoying this.  Wish I had sprung for a video card, though.  Integrated just barely runs it, and I'm not getting the full experience.  :sigh:  Still enjoying it a whole lot though.  The difficulty is just right.  Defeating hard bots and rooms feels like an achievement.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've been playing this and am halfway through the SP campaign. They got the gameplay spot on and the movement and combat feel very fluid. :yes: As someone said earlier, the game is hard but fair, and rewards player skill much more than a typical FPS. The graphics look quite nice especially for an indie game, and the game still runs more smoothly than many big-budget releases that look worse. I especially like that shiny gold look in the energy centers. I would have liked a bit more variety in the level styling and objectives though, and most of the enemies tend to look and sound pretty similar, as opposed to the very distinctive robots in all the Descent games. There are a few exceptions like the one with the circular saws. The game is generally much closer to Descent 1/2 than 3, which is both good and bad. The weapons are clearly based on the Descent ones. The Cyclone is pretty good when you first get it but some others like the Impulse and Driller really need the upgrades to be useful. Still, it's an excellent game overall. I still have yet to play it online as well.

I got the Steam version even though I prefer GOG and their lack of DRM. The Steam one is the only way to get the soundtrack, which is outstanding and fits the game very well. I recognize snippets of the D1 music in a few places. :D I still need to try out the level editor as well. I made a lot of levels for Descent 1 and 2 back in the day.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Anyone else tried the DLC yet?

First level was a bit brutal considering I only had starter weapons. Second level was mostly fine until I got to the reactor room, then it's a huge difficulty spike.

Offline Snarks

Got this email from Mike and Matt:

Hello Overload backers!

For some time, we've wanted to provide an update on Revival and Overload.  Some of us got busy and we kept waiting for the Xbox version to be done (which it finally is).  Here's the status.

We founded Revival and built a team to make Overload, not really planning to create a lasting company that would build more games.  We wanted to have fun creating a spiritual successor to Descent, and we're very happy with the results.

We would have liked to do more with Overload -- more DLC drops (we will do another community DLC pack), new features, maybe a sequel.  Those things look very unlikely now.  We're gratified by Overload's strong user reviews and we love the community that has formed around the game. Nonetheless, sales have been disappointing and can't justify much additional work on the project.  (We know that people have questions about the long-term plan for multiplayer.  We're still figuring that out, but be assured we won't abandon our MP fans.  Whatever we do, there will be a way to play Overload multiplayer.)

We're still spending time on Overload, but most of us have moved on.  Roughly half the full-time team members are now working at Volition.  (Props to Chelsea and Ed who leveraged their Overload experience into Associate Producer positions!)  Luke is back to working full-steam at Radian Games. (Check out Scorcher, coming any day now!)  Matt is working on ideas for a new (game-related) project. Mike had planned on loafing for several months and then deciding what to do, but suddenly and unexpectedly found himself rejoining Volition as General Manager.

We are proud of Overload and have many fond memories.  The Kickstarter, which was as all-consuming as many had warned, was very satisfying in the end.  We both enjoyed being (slightly rusty) programmers for the first time in years, and it meant a lot to be part of such a talented team.  We were gratified by the community of both newcomers and Descent fans still committed a game we created over 20 years ago.  And it's particularly meaningful to see team members who got a career boost out of their work on Overload.

Maybe we'll do it again in another 20 years.

Thanks for everything,

- Mike & Matt

It's a rough industry. I wish everyone on the Overload team best of luck on their future endeavors, and I thank them for getting together to provide us a spiritual sequel to a decades old series!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:03:15 pm by Snarks »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah that was a bittersweet message to read. I'm expecting Big Things from Volition now, they'd better not waste that talent!

Hey everybody, I have 1 extra Steam key for Overload, if anybody here wanted to try it but hasn't bought it yet. Post here and PM me if you want it.

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
May I have it?