Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49723 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
Quote from the AMA relevant to earlier discussion of D3 source code:
Quote from: Matt Toschlog
We may release the Descent 3 source code. Right now we want get a bunch of changes finished and release a version 1.5. Once that's done we can figure out what has to be done to release the source code. We'll have to remove anything that's owned by Interplay, and we'll want to clean up some other part of the code. So I guess the answer is: we'd like to, but don't hold your breath. We're all busy with other things and we do what we can.
Heh, Kevin Bentley's been promising that 1.5 patch for literally more than half a decade, but he actually posted in there about it too.  It'd be great to finally get that, but the source itself would be a far bigger prize.

How much use, realistically, is the Descent 3 source code going to be these days? It's 16 years old; hardware and software standards have long passed it by.
One could have made a similar claim about the FS2 source (though its release was admittedly much sooner after the game's original ship date), but the answer would be pretty similar: modern hardware compatibility, expansion/removal of hard-coded engine limits, and as many new features as are possible.  D3's starting to get somewhat flaky on new hardware running Windows 10, and it's built on some truly ancient versions of DirectX and OpenGL, so there's definitely huge room for improvement there.  (Actually, from everything I've heard, D3 always looked its best in good ol' Glide.)  Hell, the same holds true for the first two Descent games, and there are multiple active projects available for each of those: D2 has two competing source ports that focus on different overall goals, and there's a fork of the main D1 project maintained by the competitive multi community that's focused on that aspect.  There's no reason that D3 shouldn't receive the same attention.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It seems to work fine on OpenGL and Glide. I use OpenGL with it. The D3D mode has a lot of issues, but is the only one that supports 32-bit color properly and some features like bump mapping. I agree that the source needed to have come out a long time ago to get any big project like FS2 Open going, but it would still be useful for bug fixes and minor compatibility updates.

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
I already own a copy of the 1.5 patch, and it does indeed work much better. But the probelm I see with a source release is there just might not be enough interest after all these years. Who knows though, maybe in 5 years time we'll be playing a HD version of D3... ;)
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I'm in for $25 but going to bump up my pledge after pay day if I can. Would love to get access to the beta. :D Looking forward to seeing this funded! Spread the word!

[edit] Increased to $120 after watching this stream on Volition's twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/dsvolition/v/52165322) [/edit]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:33:53 pm by Ulala »
I am a revolutionary.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Received access to the playable teaser. Streamed a bit of it earlier today for the IRC folks.

It plays nice, it sounds nice, it looks nice, it feels nice. Not necessarily in that order. I've upgraded my pledge from 35 to 90 bucks.

Really hope it goes through. There's 4 days left and 130k to go, sidekick predicts 87% probability of success. Go donate peeps!
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Playable teaser is now available for all:

http://playoverload.com/playable-teaser/

Go go go!

Can't up my pledge more, but I wish the team the best of luck. From the teaser it feels like they've already hit the high notes of Descent, so I'm really looking forward to the end product!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They got the teaser on Steam too, which can only help.  And man it is already rock-solid to play through.  Really hope this squeaks by.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Another reminder: The KS at 18 houres and Revival is streaming until the finish line @ https://www.twitch.tv/revivalproductions
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Sidekick's success prediction has dropped to 30% and kicktraq's uppermost projection is $241,500. Things aren't looking good. :(
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

Sidekick's success prediction has dropped to 30% and kicktraq's uppermost projection is $241,500. Things aren't looking good. :(

Considering the KS is already past $ 243,000, take that with a grain of salt ... fundraising has really picked up since the stream began
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It should be noted that it hadn't passed that point when I made that post. :P
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Snarks

Does Kickstarter ever allow for an extension? I feel like this would be funded for sure if they just had another week. It's a shame a lot of their preview content got put up so late in the crowdfunding.

Offline 0rph3u5

FYI Mike Kulas is giving away his Descent: Freespace jacket on the steam (but only if they make more money)

Does Kickstarter ever allow for an extension? I feel like this would be funded for sure if they just had another week. It's a shame a lot of their preview content got put up so late in the crowdfunding.

At least for me it is not an issue of time, but of payment options ... They allow only credit card payments :/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:08:25 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's gonna come right down to the wire, but if we wind up not squeaking by, I think it's almost solely due to how late in the campaign all the goodies came out.  If they'd had the teaser ready right from the get-go and announced the VR support earlier, I think we could have been pushing $100k in that first day easy.

Offline 0rph3u5

8 hours to go and its at 273.040 of 300.000

==================

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Offline watsisname

We're at the point now where goal will be reached if all backers raise by $5!  So close!  Raise pledges!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Yeah, it's gonna come right down to the wire, but if we wind up not squeaking by, I think it's almost solely due to how late in the campaign all the goodies came out.  If they'd had the teaser ready right from the get-go and announced the VR support earlier, I think we could have been pushing $100k in that first day easy.
Indeed.
First week momentum is one of the most important things.  They really should have had the demo ready to go before starting a kickstarter.  Despite the fact no money is taken if a kickstarter fails, a LOT of backers always seem to have a wait and see approach and won't actually back unless it looks like a project might, potentially, make it.
And, again, a large portion of the potential backer pool already donated to Descent underground and just doesn't want to fund another project just yet.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline 0rph3u5

3 hours to go, and less than 9000 USD unfunded

EDIT: below 5k to go
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:40:17 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================