Author Topic: SOON TO BE RELEASED: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17  (Read 50807 times)

Offline CT27

Re: WIP: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17
I'd like to echo Gee1337's opinion; keep the story missions.  Or at least put them as playable in the tech room.

Offline CT27

BTW Herkie, you said your daughters are helping as testers...are they enjoying Freespace?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I would say to include everything that you have done which adds depth to the story. It is your story to tell and I want to experience all of it! The only time I think something should be cut is if it erodes the continuity in you story.

Well, that is an eye opener. And you are absolutely right. The Vasudan Arc will be placed back in. It comprises of 6 missions with full of chaos. And when I say "full of chaos," I meant it literally; hellish firestorms... These type of missions can actually be won in many different ways that even I have yet to discover them.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
BTW Herkie, you said your daughters are helping as testers...are they enjoying Freespace?

Yeah. Some months ago they saw me working on this mod. They thought it was business-related until my eldest daughter saw me playing my creation. They got intrigued and played it ever since. They give me comments and help me find some game-stopping bugs. They have come to love this space-combat game. They even wonder why this game genre is not so popular. I mean, they don't often see 3D space-combat game titles.

The people I have here are Alpha Testers. I will have the mod opened for Beta Testers once I completed it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:45:37 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

I just got done replaying the current version of The Aftermath and am looking forward to the new version coming out soon.

Offline CT27

I just remembered an error I encountered:

I was playing on the final version of 3.7.4 and had a problem with the mission "Battle Of The Bulge".  After the first group of Shivan capital ships were destroyed and Shivan (and allied) reinforcements came in, the mission would crash.  This didn't happen on a recently nightly build (after that mission though, I switched back to 3.7.4 final and was able to play the campaign fine).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was playing on the final version of 3.7.4 and had a problem with the mission "Battle Of The Bulge".  After the first group of Shivan capital ships were destroyed and Shivan (and allied) reinforcements came in, the mission would crash.
Did it crash with an error message, or just CTD?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

I was playing on the final version of 3.7.4 and had a problem with the mission "Battle Of The Bulge".  After the first group of Shivan capital ships were destroyed and Shivan (and allied) reinforcements came in, the mission would crash.
Did it crash with an error message, or just CTD?

The game froze and then a few seconds later it went to my desktop with a small window that said Freespace 2 has stopped working.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I got that error too with the old Aftermath mod. That error is fixed. It has something to do with model pof error (the Orca cruiser). Since most of the assets are replaced and fixed, we won't get that error with the Reboot version. Further on. that particular mission has been remade. But I will look into it just the same. ---Could it be a RAM problem? Because there are a lot of ships involved in this mission. CT, were you playing the old Aftermath (Cyborg's fix)? If so, that will not work well with the latest SCP build.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:03:24 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Guys, I am slightly delayed because I am hospitalized (Bronchitis infection). Looks like old age has caught up with me. Even so, I will still be working with the mod in my hospital bed (the text files - John Richter's Diary - Fiction files).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow.  Get well soon.  Don't work too hard on the mod if it will interfere with your recovery.

Offline CT27

I got that error too with the old Aftermath mod. That error is fixed. It has something to do with model pof error (the Orca cruiser). Since most of the assets are replaced and fixed, we won't get that error with the Reboot version. Further on. that particular mission has been remade. But I will look into it just the same. ---Could it be a RAM problem? Because there are a lot of ships involved in this mission. CT, were you playing the old Aftermath (Cyborg's fix)? If so, that will not work well with the latest SCP build.

I was playing with Cyborg17's fixed version.  Thanks for looking into it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, hope you get better.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks Guys for the wishes. My doctor reprimanded me for having a laptop in my sick bed. He advised me against that. Well, I might be offline again for another week or so. The doctor is actually beside me getting a blood sample while I'm typing this message with one hand. So...See you guys.

Offline CT27

How's your recovery going?

Offline CT27

By the way, in a recent playthrough of The Aftermath (on 3.7.4 final) I encountered a problem (besides that crash I talked about a few posts ago).  Whenever a mission came up that used the Nike corvette, before the mission would load the game would go back to desktop and an error window would come up and say there's a problem with the Nike turrets and subsystems.  At the bottom it said click OK to continue or cancel to exit, I had to click OK for each turret and subsystem.  However, after I did all that and got into the mission, it played okay.  I guess technically this isn't gamebreaking, just an inconvenience.

So if you're still using the Nike could you see if there's a problem?  Thanks.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I just got out of the hospital. I'm back and I might quit smoking (might?). Anyway, my testers found several really disturbing mission bugs (and thank the stars they are not model bugs) especially with the new missions. I'm fixing them now.

By the way, in a recent playthrough of The Aftermath (on 3.7.4 final) I encountered a problem (besides that crash I talked about a few posts ago).  Whenever a mission came up that used the Nike corvette, before the mission would load the game would go back to desktop and an error window would come up and say there's a problem with the Nike turrets and subsystems.  At the bottom it said click OK to continue or cancel to exit, I had to click OK for each turret and subsystem.  However, after I did all that and got into the mission, it played okay.  I guess technically this isn't gamebreaking, just an inconvenience.

So if you're still using the Nike could you see if there's a problem?  Thanks.

The Nike destroyer was severely flawed. It has a model assert error that can't be fixed. Fortunately, I'm not using the model anymore. Actually the 7th Battlegroup are all updated with newer models and I have tested them, Cyborg did the same and, so far, no errors.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I just got out of the hospital. I'm back and I might quit smoking (might?).

Do it! Replace the ciggies with a vapour pen (if they have them where you are). Worked for me! :)
I do not feel... I think!

Offline CT27

Hopefully you can quit smoking; doing so improved the health of one of my relatives and saved money too.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Hopefully you can quit smoking; doing so improved the health of one of my relatives and saved money too.

...It takes a lot of will power.

Anyway, I am editing or processing at least 1,200 frames of Tech Anims (660X300) for the weapons. It's a daunting task. I thought I could finish the mod this month but...I got derailed.

Offline CT27

The new Archangel looks cool, it reminds me of a ship from the campaign Titan Rebellion.