Author Topic: Star Ruler 2  (Read 885 times)

Offline Snarks

Anyone played Star Ruler 2? They just came out with an expansion. For those who haven't heard about it, Star Ruler is a space 4X game with a unique diplomacy and budget system along with a very indepth ship designer.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
i did, but im not that good at describing...

It is... unique aproach to the genre
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
It's a really interesting game which did not succeed half as well as it deserves. The best thing about it is that in theory you can build spaceships the size of a solar system. It could look better, but the scale is amazing, economy is complex, there is that council system where you can use influence resource to support your political claims, and the tech tree is at least functional. The only gripe I have is that once you surrender to another faction, it's irreversible and you remain a slave faction for the rest of the game. There is a good variety in the way you can play since there are like 5 ways a faction could navigate through the galaxy?, each requiring a different approach, there are modifiers which enable you different ship modules, which completely change the way you will be designing your fleet, etc. etc. I wouldn't call it a gem, but it's probably worth the price if you are into xxxx.
Also, i had no idea about the expansion. Gotta look into that.
Looked into it and it adds starship experience to the game. And a coop defence mode. It just strikes the right notes, this game.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Snarks

Star Ruler 2 has a budget system for its economy model, so rather than hoarding lots of "money" that can magically turn into spaceships and other tangible goods, you go through cycles where you have to get that cycle's worth of money to produce ships and other items and anything that's not spent gets put into social programs that benefit your overall civilization. Diplomacy is handled by a tug of war card game where you spend influence to push a goal through. While the game isn't top notch production quality like Stellaris, I think it takes unique approaches that make it a different experience from your typical space 4X.

I bought the expansion and got a look at the latest content. It definitely feels more like a 4X whereas the base game felt a bit more of a RTS.

I heard this might be the only expansion for Star Ruler 2, as the developers are disbanding following poor sales. Hopefully this expansion generates enough profit to change their minds, but it seems fairly unlikely.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
If anyone's interested, it's at 50% discount at GOG for like 12,5$ with the expansion at 10$, totally worth it.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/