Author Topic: May 2016 Screencap Contest  (Read 5542 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
May 2016 Screencap Contest
The theme this month is BEAMZ

Just remember the rules:
Must be from the FSO engine
No HUDs
No Photoshop or any post procesing
Must fit the month's theme.
Only 3 entries per person, per month

Watch those HUD gauges (especially that sneaky FPS gauge) and check out the Screencam Script to help you win a badge and bragging rights. You can see the rules and the previous winners here on the Wiki.

Screencap Scoreboard:
Betrayal - 1
Spoon - 2
Black Wolf - 1
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Darius

Re: May 2016 Screencap Contest
The theme this month is the perfect theme for Eradica Final Fantasy beams

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Isn't that the Advent Rebels' *what-you-call-a-SoSE-übership-again*?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That definitely screams final fantasy to me
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is that Ravana firing a BFRed from a convergence turret?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.

Basically. This shot was taken from Vassago's Dirge, which I highly encourage you to play.  :)
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Currently replaying WIH (now with voice acting) and the sequel (which I haven't played yet).  After that, probably.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

Not a convergence turret per se... it's a new (invisible) turret
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline -Norbert-

The theme this month is the perfect theme for Eradica Final Fantasy beams

Wait... someone brought the Eradica into FS2? Is that a SoaSE mod for FS2 or something?

Is the model a straight conversion or a re-build? The texture or at least the glow maps can't be a simple conversion though, since the original Eradica had only orange glows (though I made an alternate texture that made the glows team-coloured).

And for those wondering, it's from Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion - the Advent Rebel Titan to be exact.

Offline Darius

Straight conversion.

I've got a converted Vorastra sitting somewhere as well. No plans for a Sins TC anytime soon.

Straight conversion.

I've got a converted Vorastra sitting somewhere as well. No plans for a Sins TC anytime soon.

Do you know of any tutorials on how to convert models that you know of?

Offline -Norbert-

Straight conversion.

But how did the glow-maps become blue then? In the original textures it's orange after all.

Offline 0rph3u5

But how did the glow-maps become blue then? In the original textures it's orange after all.

That's very simple editing once the maps are storted out

==================

Offline -Norbert-

It wasn't easy in SoaSE itself... especially not with how the orange glows weren't just glows but also part of the texture itself and how the orange areas "bled out" into the surroundings of the glowing areas.

But I guess at least part of the difficulty was only having GIMP and nothing else to work with. ^^

I tried taking screenshots for this, but encountered unexpected technical difficulties. When I pasted the screenshot (taken with ctrl+printscreen) into an image editor...it was a screenshot of my desktop, like Freespace 2 was completely transparent.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I tried taking screenshots for this, but encountered unexpected technical difficulties. When I pasted the screenshot (taken with ctrl+printscreen) into an image editor...it was a screenshot of my desktop, like Freespace 2 was completely transparent.
You either need to: use FSO's built-in screenshot functionality, run FSO in windowed mode, or use third-party software like FRAPS.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Four is the new Three

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I *love* that mission
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

BEAMZ that would make Admiral Steele proud. Bring your safety goggles. :cool:

In case the image above does not display correctly:
http://www.malzo.com/i/2016/06/02/ik7.jpg

On the note of the Eradica in FSO - That would make a really nice Vasudan corvette or destroyer if reskinned. Do you have one that is fully turreted? I'm trying to find a really nice HTL'ed Vasudan corvette that can be repurposed into a missile carrier.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:48:12 pm by Erebus Alpha »
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383