Author Topic: Descent  (Read 1868 times)

Maybe not the right topic for this (depends on how you feel about Descent being part of the FS universe) but I had a real hankering to play the Descent series again, played them a lot as a kid with my dad and haven't since. Does anyone know where I'd be able to get digital copies? Or know whether the old discs will run on Windows 10?
Current Projects A New Dawn and Empires

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
GoG.com is your best bet. They come packaged with DOSBOX. They're also the only reliable storefront to buy Freespace from.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Descent unfortunately disappeared from GOG.com and Steam a while ago because Interplay(?) apparently owes some money to the original developers of Descent, who left to go on to make the new Descent: Underground game.

More info on this copyright conundrum at GOG.com forums here and here.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

thanks everyone!
Current Projects A New Dawn and Empires

Offline MikeRoz

Descent unfortunately disappeared from GOG.com and Steam a while ago because Interplay(?) apparently owes some money to the original developers of Descent, who left to go on to make the new Descent: Underground game.

These are the Descent developers, who are working on a project called Overload.

These are the people working on Descent: Underground. Notice that none of them have 'Descent' in their credits. They are allowed by Interplay to use the trademark.

Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

I freakin' love Descent. If you want to run through them again and keep them looking like they did back in the 90s, DXX-Rebirth is a great source port to use: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

It modernizes the game while still allowing you to keep it looking and feeling like it did the first time you played.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
And for a modernized version with a bazillion bells & whistles, use D2X-XL (I would highly recommend also having DXX-Rebirth however, D2X-XL is really cool and lets you see how awesome Descent could be, but it doesn't stick as close to the original like DXX.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
And for a modernized version with a bazillion bells & whistles, use D2X-XL (I would highly recommend also having DXX-Rebirth however, D2X-XL is really cool and lets you see how awesome Descent could be, but it doesn't stick as close to the original like DXX.)
Also D2X-XL is vastly more annoying to set up (although I do grant that, once you do and if you set your options right, it can look amazing).

However, pointing basnyy213 towards source ports won't help without the assets, which as has been noted, are no longer available either through Steam or through GOG. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere else to get them (without finding somebody selling a CD copy somewhere).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.