Author Topic: Star Fox Zero  (Read 2541 times)

Offline CT27

Has anyone played the new Star Fox game yet?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Not yet, I'm most likely going to buy a wii u just to play it, but I'm going to wait for a few more weeks
Stuff

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I can't justify buying a $300 console for about 3 tops games I want to play.  I'm hoping the new console that's apparently due out soon isn't as stupid and gimmicky and the good games from the wii u are ported forward.
I like to stare at the sun.

The way things are going it's quite likely that the Wii U won't even see a new Zelda release, which is pretty lol.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I heard it's going to be like twilight princess with a dual release.  But yeah, nintendo tried to follow stupid fads and this time it bit them.  Not that other consoles didn't have gimmicks *ahemkinectahem*, but they were more or less ignorable.  the wii U made that awful gamepad its centerpiece.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It seems the controls are somewhat horrible because it forces the player to use the gyroscope rather than the analog sticks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:07:01 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Have you tried using the Pro controller instead of the Gamepad?
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The "it seems" implies that I haven't had personal experience of the game, but I follow Jim Sterling regularly and he slammed it, lamenting being forced to use the tablet thing and that it doesn't really work well.
I find the Star Fox series quite singular, the first game looks like an interesting tech demo for the time and platform, the second seems a nice railshooter, and later Nintendo tried in every way to do something completely different with the series almost like some of the higher ups somewhat despise spaceship shooting games.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I have it and I have scheudled it as a diversion between MoGW-update and my "summer portfolio project" ... so more on it in about two weeks...

Not compatible, says so on the Box (and yes, that is what actually sold me on the game)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:31:33 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Yeah, I've tried playing Star Fox with gyro controls on the 3DS.  It doesn't work well.  I would not be excited about being forced to use them.

Offline CT27

Honest Trailers did a review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IceMIN7wzAk

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Well at least THAT was entertaining.

Offline CT27

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on opinions of this game.  People either really love it or hate the controls.

Offline 0rph3u5

So first interim report:
Note: I am a bit more comfortable around the "tablet" WiiU controller because I use to play Virtual console games without using the TV. That doesn't go without saying, consdering how much hustle it is for others (evidenced by the fact that when we play Smash Brothers or Hyrule Warriors in couch coop not one of my friends wants to let go of the pro-controller ;) )

The controls of Star Fox Zero are certainly different. The first thing I had to figure out was a position to sit/lie/stand while playing with the motion controls and then figure out how to make them work best for me. If you have a comfortable chain in which you can put your feet up without constraining your upper body mobility works good for me (my usual half-sit, half-lie on my couch did not work at all).

The next thing is that the whole thing is visually very overwhelming with the two screens. While they show mostly the same it is hard not to constantly switch between them or switch around which one is on the TV at the moment. It's not at all helped by the tutorial which out of game wants to prepare you for the pace on screen but undercuts helping you into the controls.
So it is not exactly a game you can play for houres on end just because of the load of information you process each session ... which than conspires with the "needs getting used to" controls, so you don't really ease into them...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline CT27

I think if Nintendo had allowed an option for 'traditional' (SF64) controls and let people use the regular controller if they wanted, most of the complaints about this game would have gone away.

Offline 0rph3u5

Then there would have been no need for another game now, would there? - They are clearly not delivering a new story for what I could gather around the internet...

But the motion control are not that bad, they are unusual and you need to learn them (but its not worse than realizing that you have to get up when using the Wii Remote). What's most frustrating, simply because it would have been a no-brainer to impliment, is the lack of options to fine tune the motion controls to the user. There are only two options, invert vertical axis on the sticks and "put motion controls into toggle mode" (so the cursor doesn't bounce around the screen when you are not shooting), and none of the really improtant ones like setting up a deadzone or making the controls less sensitive. Both would fix a lot about the motion controls...

==================

Offline CT27

I'm not saying get rid of motion controls, just make them more optional.

For better or worse, that's where most of the complaints about the game are.  A lot of people don't like them.