Author Topic: Okay, which one of you jokers did this?  (Read 3260 times)

Okay, which one of you jokers did this?
A confused FS2_Open user on FS2's subreddit would like to know.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Re: Okay, which one of you jokers did this?
IIRC, it was placed here by mjn.mixael as a placeholder when he first released his hi-res cmd brief anis, as at the time nobody was satisfied with the blue lion designs he posted on the forums. I don't remember seeing it in my 2014 playthrough though, so that person may not be running with the latest MediaVPs.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
 :wakka:

I've just confirmed that by cracking open the CB Anims VP from my install and sadly 2_cb_sm3-06_a.ani appears to have the correct Blue Lions logo (I would have loved that to have been a legit trick/easter egg :))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline -Sara-

I was reading the top text, thinking what is wrong, until I scrolled down and saw the lion. I couldn't contain my laughter.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wakka:

I remember that. I didn't draw it completely, though. Someone (can't remember who) took my first Blue Lion design and made that.. iirc, when everyone was complaining.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I remember seeing this at some point, but thought it was an intentional re-imagining of the original logo rather than a joke. :D

Can't believe it took me two takes to figure out what was wrong with that picture.

Offline qwadtep

It's 300 years in the future, after all. Maybe nobody knows what a lion's face actually looks like outside of old Internet posts >:3

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
:bump:

Never saw this thread before, but I guess better late than never!

I originally drew that version of the 70th Blue Lions logo here.

As the story goes, back in 2010 I did some re-workings of a couple of squadron logos, the 53rd Hammerheads and the 107th Ravens. Slightly later, in early January 2011 I also did some attempts to re-draw the 70th Blue Lions logo, but never could get it right enough and eventually abandoned that idea. But while I was doing all this, I did a little doodle, starting with the ubiquitous lion face >:3 and then drew in the mane and then the body and the limbs. In some ways, it actually ended up looking better than the "full sized" versions I'd been doing, so I saved the doodle along with other stuff - digitized with a camera, since I didn't happen to have a scanner at hand at the time. So just for ****s and giggles, I posted it in my squad insignia thread as a sort-of-joke.

Later on, MjnMixael was doing his own attempts to re-do the 70th Blue Lions logo in high resolution for the high-res animations; this was in 2012. It was different from the original, so naturally there were some complaints (though to be honest, his version was closer to original in style than mine ever were). I vaguely seem to recall that at this point, I added the colours to the image and edited an alpha channel in so that it could actually work in the game, and probably linked it on the FSU irc channel, or something.

Truth be told, it actually is a fairly nice looking little logo, and it was in high resolution... so MjnMixael used it as a placeholder for one of the animations.

Apparently, it was then forgotten into at least one release; not sure if it's still in there... lurking, waiting.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:50:05 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Damn... was it seriously 4 years ago that I was doing the ANIs? Man.. I've been modding this game a long time and I'm nowhere near the oldest here.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Go into the cbani_2 for the 2014 mediavps. Go to 2_cb_sm3-06c ani. You may be surprised to find that it still lurks.

EDIT: Foot in mouth moment, it appears that I copied my cb_anis from 3612 to the 2014 folder instead of re-downloading and didnt remember I did that. Now arent I the idiot.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:44:50 am by Boomer20 »
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!