Author Topic: FSO Installer problem  (Read 6442 times)

FSO Installer problem
Hi guys,

I have a copy of FS2 from GOG installed and working though I haven't started a game yet. I'm running Windows 7 and running FSO Installer v.2.2.1 and choosing the Complete installation option however the following components fail to download and install everytime, I have run it multiple times and even tried reinstalling FS2 and running the installer again but have the same problems each time.

The following errors were encountered:

FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows AVX: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows SSE: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows NO-SSE: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows Standard: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The file 'fsport-mediavps_2014.7z' could not be downloaded.
HD Cutscenes by MjnMixael (720p): Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
HD Main Halls by MjnMixael: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Remixed Music by Dan Wentz: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.

Can anyone help please? Am I right in thinking because some of these aren't downloaded and installed that FSO isn't installed and working?

Re: FSO Installer problem
Having fiddled more I think the FSO applications are working, it just gives me an error message saying the scptrackir.dll file is missing then runs. Which version of FSO should I be running?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Either the Standard or AVX one, depending on whether your CPU is new enough.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I have an i5-3470 @ 3.2ghz with 12 GB of RAM.

Which one requires the beefier processor?

Also how can I tell whether or not the FSO has installed properly or not and is running?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, fire up wxlauncher and select mediavps_2014 as your mod, and you'll be able to tell right away!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have an i5-3470 @ 3.2ghz with 12 GB of RAM.

Which one requires the beefier processor?

Also how can I tell whether or not the FSO has installed properly or not and is running?

You should be fine using the AVX builds then.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks guys.

Have just been playing the SSE2 version and that was working, not sure if it was the modded version or not though.

Have activated FSportMediaVPs _3612 v3.5 (how does that differ to the 2014 one?) in wxlauncher and selected FS2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX) in Basic Settings.

It works, but comes up with a message saying there are 73 error reports that could be due to files missing. Presumably this is because it hasn't installed properly through the FSO installer as per my original post?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:02:23 pm by Fatfrank68 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You should not be using the FSPort MediaVPs unless you want to play the FS1 campaign. You should also not be using a version of FSO as old as 3.7.1. How did you even get such an old version? A nightly build like that should never have been available through the FSO Installer.

You should re-run the installer and see if it succeeds on the files it failed on before.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hi Admiral, thanks for your reply.

What should I be using then? I only selected FSPortMediaVPS because someone above said to. Apologies but 3.7.1 was a typo it's actually FS2 Open 3.7.1 (AVX) that I'm using. Which mod should I be using to play the original campaign?

I have tried running the installer multiple times and over different days, but it still can't download those same files. Just been doing the Tutorial using the above settings and couldn't complete it because the Drone ships didn't appear so I couldn't shoot them, could lock on, but couldn't see them.

Oh and yes the graphics were notably better in FSPortMediaVPS than they were in fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX, completely different loading screen as well, the FS2Open(AVX) having the original loading screen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You're confusing Builds and Mods. 3.7.4. AVX is a build (the game code you are running). The MediaVPs are an asset pack (the 'fuel' you are feeding into the game engine).

Select 3.7.4 AVX.

Which 'original' campaigns do you mean?

For the original FS1 campaign, yes, select the FSPort.

For the enhanced FS2 campaign, select the 2014 MediaVPs.

Just tried the installer from a link to this forum instead of www.fsoinstaller.com, and even though it's the exact same file, this time it's downloaded all the mods etc except the radar one. Though now when I look in the Free Space directy all the different builds aren't there?! Eh? The folders for the mods are there, when I rerun the installer it says they're already installed.

Ah I see, thank you for explaining that it's not made clear anywhere. :D

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:54:46 pm by Fatfrank68 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just tried the installer from a link to this forum instead of www.fsoinstaller.com, and even though it's the exact same file, this time it's downloaded all the mods etc except the radar one. Though now when I look in the Free Space directy all the different builds aren't there?! Eh? The folders for the mods are there, when I rerun the installer it says they're already installed.

Ah I see, thank you for explaining that it's not made clear anywhere. :D

I just checked, and the FSO Installer  thread and www.fsoinstaller.com both have the exact same file (I verified the file hashes, the contents of the files are exactly the same).  So, unless the first download got corrupted, your results should be exactly the same, unless something server-side changed between the Installer runs.  Which is possible, perhaps a server was overloaded last time or something.

The Installer is aware of what has and has not been successfully downloaded in previous runs.  There is an option to make it re-check everything, and also, in an absolute worst case scenario, you can delete your %userprofile%\fsoinstaller.properties file to erase the record of previous runs (I'd ask here before trying that though).

Offline Movian

Just to chime in I am having the same problem...

Just downloaded FS2 from GOG through gog galaxy.

Downloaded the installer linked on this page (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FreeSpace_Open_Installer)

The installer fails on exactly the same files...

FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows AVX: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows SSE: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows NO-SSE: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows Standard: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The hash value for '2014_mv_fsport.vp' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.

Should I try downloading this other file? Should I wait and try downloading again later ?

@Movian
If you don't use TrackIR, then you can safely ignore scptrackir.zip. If you still want it, file is in this topic.
MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip is here. FSPort files are here.

@Fatfrank68
Delete fsoinstaller.properties in C:\Users\<username>

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The installer links to http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/scptrackir.zip for every Windows version of FSO, and that link definitely seems to be working for me.

The link http://mvp.fsmods.net/3612/MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip also works for me.

FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The hash value for '2014_mv_fsport.vp' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.
This just means you should re-run the installer (that's why it means by "if this problem persists over multiple attempts"; if you run the installer again and the same file has the wrong hash, there may be a problem with the file on the server).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Ok, so I removed Freespace 2, deleted the folder, removed the FSO Installer profile, deleted the FSO Installer and redownloaded it and this time ran it by directing it to the GOG setup file. And this time I have the following errors:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Install FreeSpace 2 from GOG package: An error occurred while examining the GOG package using InnoExtract.  The file may not be a valid GOG setup file, or the system may have been unable to launch InnoExtract.  Check the log file for more details.
Copy GOG cutscenes to the data directory used by FreeSpace Open: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons.7z' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The file 'fsport-mediavps_2014.7z' could not be downloaded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
None of those except the first one really matter if you're just trying to play FS2 with better graphics.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So, I just updated my FSO installation using FSO Installer.  Only had a problem with Warzone, and that was solved by re-running the Installer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your anti-virus might be nuking the FreeSpace executable, or at least preventing the Installer from accessing it.  That has happened before IIRC.

What Anti-virus do you both use?