Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 116932 times)

Re: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)
Yes.
The Psamtik is part of the 14th13th Vasudan BG.
(iirc)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:02:48 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
My point was that there are a number of ways that Vasudan fleet structure could differ from Terran fleet structure.

Offline crizza

TEI is Tev only. The Zods have new toys (for which the game assets haven't been selected/completed yet, which is why we have nothing to show), but the fleet organization is vastly different and doesn't follow the same tiers as the Tevs and their TEI.
I was just going about the point, that Zods use another organisation thiny, not more or less

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The only canonically known vasudan fleet organization in FS2 is the 13th Battlegroup, based in Deneb, of which the Psamtik was the command ship until it met its end.
(source: FS wiki)
So they did, at least at the time of FS2.
Terrans have always just had "fleets", with no mention of battlegroups if i recall correctly.

Given that's all we ever hear of vasudan fleet structure (that they have a 13th battle group)...discarding it entirely saying "Vasudans don't use battlegroups anymore, but now Terrans do!" feels a bit strange.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:35:36 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Bwhuh wuw what is happening

Vasudans still use battle groups

I'm also a bit confused. I think people misunderstood what MatthTheGeek said about the Tev and Vasudan fleet structure. And now some people think that the other people think Vasudan's don't use BattleGroups. Which isn't what was said.

I think we should all put the Ranch Dressing away.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I was talking mostly about technological tiers, Terrans have quite obvious lines drawn between Capella-era tech and TEI tech, with very little blending between the two.

Zods are more diffuse, and more prone to keep retrofitting and upgrading to modern standards their older designs way past the point Terrans would have decommissioned them (remember how the appolo and valk were already decommissioned by Capella, but Seth and Horus upgrades are still in use by the Zod military in the WiH era, and they even deploy Aten cruisers in militarily contested areas). They do not have an equivalent to TEI because they do not think of fleet organization in term of design generations with an expected operational lifetime, scheduled to be replaced every X years (this sentence is obviously an oversimplification of the way Tevs operate, but I think it carries the point across).

Although this is only relevant to the mainstay Zod fleet. The Medjai is an entirely different story.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:09:22 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline CT27

In terms of the Vasudans upgrading old designs rather than creating new ones...didn't Freespace 2 say the upgraded Typhon class was kind of a mess?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Vasudan development in general is quite idiosyncratic. Check out the new techroom.

In terms of the Vasudans upgrading old designs rather than creating new ones...didn't Freespace 2 say the upgraded Typhon class was kind of a mess?

I suspect that "power grid issues" were actually the shenanigans pulled by Kames Admiralty as they did with Mentu.

Offline CT27

So a rough analogy to ship development would be:
Terrans make Windows 10
Vasudans keep issuing service packs to Windows 7/8.1?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Terrans would have a fleet comprised of aging win7 machines and newer win10 machines. They've ditched all the winXP machines.

The Zods would have a haphazard fleet composed of very old (they still have late 90s and early 2000s machines running) to very new machines, sporting various flavours of (mostly) recent linux kernels, and try to keep driver compatibility all around. This may seem suboptimal to a Terran, but they still manage to keep all their software running and can gather more processing power than the Terrans can.

And then there's the Medjai server farm hidden somewhere in the corner.

In this metaphor the hardware represents the age of the ship design and the software the tech level used in the ship.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:29:40 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Is the... Shepsekaff or however that DD is written a Hatshepsut Amaru?

Offline CT27

Terrans would have a fleet comprised of aging win7 machines and newer win10 machines. They've ditched all the winXP machines.

The Zods would have a haphazard fleet composed of very old (they still have late 90s and early 2000s machines running) to very new machines, sporting various flavours of (mostly) recent linux kernels, and try to keep driver compatibility all around. This may seem suboptimal to a Terran, but they still manage to keep all their software running and can gather more processing power than the Terrans can.

And then there's the Medjai server farm hidden somewhere in the corner.

In this metaphor the hardware represents the age of the ship design and the software the tech level used in the ship.

Would Shivans be Apple then?

No, shivans would be pure hax.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

The Shivans would be a supercomputer from the future running every virus in existence.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.