Author Topic: Aeolus  (Read 11130 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
CP's ship list needs AWACS. The rest is quite thourough, but since AWACS vessles are named and apparently fairly rare, they should be included. The Lucidity and Panopticon come to mind, though there are several more.

Yes, I was thinking of adding in all ingame ships with unique designations instead of just the capital ships only. I also need to add in the demo mission ships and probably the FS1 ships too; well, I will do all this in a few days when I get my main computer running again.

i dont know about you guys but i put a aeolus in my missions on fs1 and it turned an orion into scrap!!
If your skills are weak but your soul is strong you must seek to ikmprove your skills. Likewise, if your soul is weak but skills are strong your destruction will unfold.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
There's a lot of lap dogs then.

I was thinking about T**y Bl***

Professor Liebstrom.

Offline Scorpius

• Artíste
My Armageddon could rip any other ship to shreds, if not fired upon :nod:
Illustrator, inker, editor, letter of FREESPACE MARINES. A comic book based in the Freespace Universe
coming in late march.
My Galleries:
 www.3dap.com/hlp/art/scorpius
 http://www.3dactionplanet.com/redfaction/dp/d/art.shtml

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
i dont know about you guys but i put a aeolus in my missions on fs1 and it turned an orion into scrap!!

Where did it approach the Orion from? (Orion's beams are more on the sides than the front)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by CP5670
(Orion's beams are more on the sides than the front)

Uhm... read carefully:

Originally posted by The Refugee

No beams. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Well it's hardly surprising, must have taken a long time though.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Mmkay. I tested the Aeolus and my GTC Peleus ;) separately against wings of fighters and bombers.

Here is the way it worked out.

3 Perseuses + 3 Medusa's (standard loadouts for all) attack the target cruiser. Invariably, they die, but generally they cause quite a bit of damage to it before they do.

Then 3 GVF Heptu's come in (Mekhu/PromS, Hornet/Tornado) and start bombarding it.

The Aeolus did not fare as well as the Peleus. While the Peleus usually managed to get through both waves with at least 35% hull, the Aeolus kept dying from them. Twice the Aeolus died from the first wave, before the second one even showed up. (Peleus often escaped with over 50% hull, but not always.)

Keep in mind that the Aeolus has 38000 hull and the Peleus has 45000. That difference isn't enough to solely account for the Peleus's survival and remaining hull strength.

Therefore, I concluded that the GTC Peleus is better at antifighter than the Aeolus.

:thepimp:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Kitsune

I dont know about you guys but I put an aeolus in my missions on fs1 and it turned an orion into scrap!!

Yeah, it would do a number on an Orion.  Think of how many guns the Aeolus has total compared to the Orion.  Not to mention it's smaller too so that if broad-siding it can bring more of it's front/rear weapons about as well as all it's upper and lower turrets.  Whereas the Orion only has those weapons mounted on the side, and maybe the huge turret packed on the underside of the nose.  The rest of them wouldn't be able to depress their turrets to fire at the smaller ship.

Not to mention the Aeolus has 12 turrets, an Orion has 16!

So there would be at least 9 turrets that could shoot at the Orion while only 5 at max could fire back.

Arm the missle launchers with cyclops's or stilletoes and watch those numbers drop rapidly.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Su-tehp

:lol:

I dont know about the senility part, but Dubya definitely doesn't seem too aware of what's going on around him and he doesn't seem to care even if he is in the know. :doubt:

"Better to keep silent and be thought of as a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."[/b]

The Orion should have been refit with more weapons and bring it up back up to Destroyer specs.  While it's main beams have excellent coverage, too many of it gunpoints are taken up with anti-cap weapons.  :v:  should have added more gunpoints to make it more able to defend itself against enemy fighters.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
You will NOT slander the orion.  The Aeolus is a supercruiser by all specifications, the Orion can still destroy one with ease if it had beams enabled.  While the Aeolus has 12 guns, the better half of them are flak with only 2 capship grade beams and 2 anti fighter beams.  Flak wont do jack to an Orion unless you leave the aeolus in the engine wash of the orion for a few dozen hours.  Loading an aeolus with stilletos and or cyclops is stupid as well as impossible.  The Aeolus does not have missile turrets, and anyone can put BFgreens on a fenris and make it the most powerful GTVA vessel around.  Tampering with loadouts doesnt yield an acurate test.

Offline Kitsune

There's no slander going on about the Orion.

And that's my bad, I thought the Aeolus had a pair of pirahna launchers.

But you're not taking the theme of the question into speculation there.
If the weapons were downgraded to FS1 standards then there would only be terran turrets on the Aeolus and the Orion.

If it were a FS2 slugging match it'd be over really quickly with the Orion and it's BGreen and Slashers ripping the two SGreen weilding Aeolus apart.

And have you ever had two corvettes fight each other?  I had forgotten to enable beams on two Deimos corvettes.  The orbited each other at about 500meters and fired nothing but flak at each other.  They were down to 75% in about 5 minutes.

So it wouldn't take forever with 3 flaks and two huge turrets with beams disabled.

But all in all yeah, with the upgrades going on with all the new ships, one would think that destroyers would get a few more laser turrets for defence scattered about.  If they're not going to get phased out for awhile (and I doubt they will, hell, look at how old the fenris is!) they could afford some more upgrades for a ship that size.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
corvettes take less punishment than the orion and the have more flak cannons than the aeolus.  In fs1, there is no flak and so what you would have is a laer battle where the aeolus can bring to bear a couple more guns than the orion but would still die first because its hull is significantly weaker.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by LtNarol
Flak wont do jack to an Orion...

You'd be amazed at how powerful flak really is against capital ships.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Sandwich

You'd be amazed at how powerful flak really is against capital ships.

That's been my experience too. Flak is quite potent anti cap, faster rate of fire than AAAf, more power than laser turrets.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Bear in mind that - IIRC - many of the Aeolus' turrets are actually on the sdame object (i.e. 2 turrets on object 'turret7', etc)  -so if you blow up the right bits, you can take it down a notch far quicker than you might think.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Beams do even more in FS2 and there is no flak in FS1, so the point is moot as a pair of beams will still tear a ship apart much faster.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by LtNarol
Beams do even more in FS2...

:wtf: Even more than what? Beams in FS1??? :confused:

Offline Anaz

I think he means that beams in fs2 do more damage than [whatever] in FS1...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
That all depends on how powerful the pulse weapon in question is...
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"