Author Topic: Wingman Status Monitor  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Wingman Status Monitor
Would it be possible to accomodate more wing names in the wingman status monitor? Maybe have it so FS2 reads the names of the allied fighter and bomber wings and inserts them into this monitor.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Re: Wingman Status Monitor
Originally posted by Hudzy
Would it be possible to accomodate more wing names in the wingman status monitor?
Probably.  
Maybe have it so FS2 reads the names of the allied fighter and bomber wings and inserts them into this monitor.
No.  The three letter abbreviations indicating the wing name (i.e. ALP, BET, GAM, DEL, EPS) are actually frames in an ani file created just for this purpose.  FreeSpace simply uses frame 0 for Alpha wing, frame 1 for Beta, etc., instead of putting text under the wing icons.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
:( Is there no way to change that then?

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Probably the easiest way would simply be to add a few more frames into the ani, so we'd have ALP, BET, GAM, DEL, EPS, ZET, ETA, THE, IOT, and probably no more than that, since all those wings would reach halfway across the hud if all on there together.  That, incidentally, is why I am not in favour of adding wings to the hud display.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Obviously, no one would ever use them all at the same time. Plus, it could be two rows, one underneath the other. That works with high resolution, I don't know about low though.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
(This popped up before in another thread)

I don't see why it would be difficult at all to replace the wing designation ANI frames (ALP, BET, etc.) with text.  There is text all over the screen.  

I can't think of a single good reason why :V: did it this way (there's gotta be one, I just can't think of it)...
    ver 1: Use the same algorithm to determine which wings are displayed, but show text instead of the ANIs

ver 2: Use a different algorithm :) maybe a flag in the #Wings section of the mission files (e.g., "show-wing-status" in the $Flags field)
your source code slave

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by penguin
(This popped up before in another thread)

I don't see why it would be difficult at all to replace the wing designation ANI frames (ALP, BET, etc.) with text.  There is text all over the screen.  

I can't think of a single good reason why :V: did it this way (there's gotta be one, I just can't think of it)...
    ver 1: Use the same algorithm to determine which wings are displayed, but show text instead of the ANIs

ver 2: Use a different algorithm :) maybe a flag in the #Wings section of the mission files (e.g., "show-wing-status" in the $Flags field)
[/B]

the gfx shows the status of ALL the ships in thw wing, though - the colour (red, 'clear', green) indicates their hull integrity, and you also know how many wingmen you have.......  i'm not sure you could replicate this with text.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by aldo_14

the gfx shows the status of ALL the ships in thw wing, though - the colour (red, 'clear', green) indicates their hull integrity, and you also know how many wingmen you have.......  i'm not sure you could replicate this with text.
the status images (there are four: empty & filled in both red & green) would remain; I was only talking about the labels underneath.
your source code slave

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
done... wingman names are now strings instead of from the ANI files. :ha:

TODO: Might want to clean up the code there, the ANI is still being loaded unnecessarily.

edit: if you want to test it, you can edit the wing abbreviations... they're in Wingman_status_name_abbr --  try adding a  ! at the end of each abbr (it's narrow), and fly the 2nd mission in the first loop ("Love the Treason...") where you have all the wings present...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2002, 11:48:03 pm by 334 »
your source code slave

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
BTW I haven't tested it on hi-res but it looks identical to the bitmaps on 640x480.  Someone with a half-decent videocard please provide hi-res feedback (looks OK or not).
your source code slave