Author Topic: RP To Save Humanity! The Hierarchy Invades Again!  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: RP To Save Humanity! The Hierarchy Invades Again!
I hope my doomy prediction has not dissuaded you two from finishing your RP. There is still glory to be had and worthy tales to be told. I am curious about the methods of achieving Yonsakuran Efficiency and seeing the encounter with the 2nd DD Homeguard and the 1st DD in combat.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
 :p

Travelling to Oxford.

If AdmiralRalwood is OK with it, I'd be happy to do another joint RP.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was just tired after finishing that last "arc"; I fully intend to do some RPing of the 1st DD in combat (up to and including getting blown up).

If AdmiralRalwood is OK with it, I'd be happy to do another joint RP.
Absolutely.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
PM me whenever you like, then and we can talk about where / when you want to place the next RP.

Also, holy crap, TWO misses? Ugh.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

PM me whenever you like, then and we can talk about where / when you want to place the next RP.

Also, holy crap, TWO misses? Ugh.
Oh btw, this time if you'd had just one more boost you'd have taken it down...

Offline Lorric

I feel almost apologetic / guilty that the Special Fleet survived. 3 turns in a row it would have gone down with one more boost, that last turn it would have taken 3 more.

Those last turns were nuts with the Hierarchy hitting everything every time on top of the Special Fleet not going down. Overall I think the dice went the Hierarchy's way more than the Terrans in this game despite the dream Terran start. In particular the Hertak taking very little damage, allowing them to dominate and destroy, the quick elimination of the 1st CSA which is the trump card for the allies yet did no damage, and the 3rd DD, which has been boosted into a juggernaut, underperformed. So the key fleets for the allies underperformed while the key fleets for the Hierarchy overperformed.

I am open to restarting the game with the boosts from this game carrying over into the new game. If I do, people can RP the old game or the new one. The threads have pretty good viewing figures so I know there was some interest, and the late entry of Admiral Ralwood makes me wonder if I might have got some more players if I'd waited and talked about it a bit rather than just surging straight into it. So I'm open to a restart and to listening to people's thoughts, especially if they were interested in joining in but something held them back from doing so. If anyone does any more RP I'll keep a tally of the boosts.

A few other bits, my Hertak emperor was an aggressive, domineering, cocksure and quick to anger individual. Then Spoon presented the Emperor as a much different personality, seemingly more of a pensive, worrisome and introverted character, at least that's what I took from it. So I was left with a conflict. I decided to stick with the personality I'd given him rather than have him do a complete 180 on his personality midway, but if I do repeat, I'll try to give him this new personality. So Spoon, I'd appreciate any more information you'd like to give on him to help me with that.

Oh, and now the game is over, was it worth it to the Hierarchy the way it went? I'm guessing yes because of the low damage to the Hertak fleets. The 1st Zy and 1st Fura / Zy, their next best fleets, survived as well.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time, from that RP post, we've gotten any information on the Hertak form. I was surprised no one mentioned it. Would you be willing to share any more details? I wonder if from the size of their ships they are large creatures?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:01:18 am by Lorric »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The threads have pretty good viewing figures so I know there was some interest, and the late entry of Admiral Ralwood makes me wonder if I might have got some more players if I'd waited and talked about it a bit rather than just surging straight into it.
Things definitely moved a bit too quickly for me; I was still planning out where I wanted my next series of RP posts to take place in the timeline when suddenly the game was over.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Rip huu-mans
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Rip huu-mans
Your precious space elves are next. :p