Author Topic: [WIP/Teaser] Vega must burn (formerly "Secret April Project")  (Read 7979 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: [WIP/Teaser] Vega must burn (formerly "Secret April Project")
For those who can't wait - slightly good news:

The Light of Antares re-release will be out on May 1st.

Light of Antares was originally released in 2007, and continuity-wise the directy predecessor to Vega must burn. This new version comes with some significant quality of life improvements.

EDIT: Link
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:10:02 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Quick aisde, because it impacts the release scheudle of Vega must burn:

An important part why and how I got started and went ahead on Vega must burn was that I was expecting to be expelled from university on academic grounds this summer (tl;dr: I failed a course). However after 3 months waiting for the final verdict, I just got a letter from university admin informing me that, on condition I pass an equivalent course this semester, being expelled would off the table.

Since being expelled would also have costed me my potential/future MA-degree regardless of if I turn in my MA-thesis or not, this was kinda a make or break decision - and I was doing all the crunch to get something to for job hunting portfolio out.

So now, I am back to a more leisurely pace. In advance, sorry for the wait :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
That's good news though! Good luck with course. :yes:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Quick aisde, because it impacts the release scheudle of Vega must burn:

An important part why and how I got started and went ahead on Vega must burn was that I was expecting to be expelled from university on academic grounds this summer (tl;dr: I failed a course). However after 3 months waiting for the final verdict, I just got a letter from university admin informing me that, on condition I pass an equivalent course this semester, being expelled would off the table.

Since being expelled would also have costed me my potential/future MA-degree regardless of if I turn in my MA-thesis or not, this was kinda a make or break decision - and I was doing all the crunch to get something to for job hunting portfolio out.

So now, I am back to a more leisurely pace. In advance, sorry for the wait :D

That's great news, well done. Also means I get to feel a little less guilty about my rather glacial pace of proof-reading VMB. I will start in earnest after the bank holiday, promise :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline 0rph3u5

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Well, it's about time...

A few things have happened since my last post:

1.) Hellgate: Ikeya has been fully updated.

If you want to give feedback that will affect Vega Must Burn, give it and Light of Antares a look.

2.) Iain completed the first revision of the full campaign script a month ago.

In in doing so delivered the most savage reminder of just how insufficent my craft is:

Quote from: Iain Baker
“Performing technical support with extreme prejudice” – Quote of the day :)
... because that line is 99.9 percent a quote from Destiny 2: Forsaken.

3.) Axem has extended a helping hand.
Previously there has been a problem with a more "clandestine" aspect of the campaign, mostly due to accessibility issues - I wanted the inputs to be more than a few lines and always readable. But thank the higher-power-of-your-choice-if-such-a-thing-needs-to-exist-for-your-fulfillment, Axem *is*.

In response I am now going to trick out said clandestine aspect. Originally, I was going to have triggers appear semi-random, mixed in with another story telling tool. But now I am going to give its own mission specific triggers - some of those are going to be more obvious than others.

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

So, with Project Erlkönig as of today being 4/4 on mission gameplay and heading for the grind of adding all the visual elements and the AI tweaks (so you don't accidentally sideswiped by a ship ten times you size), and the Rain on Ribos IV-update waylaid by the addition of mjn.mixeal's "Waywarer"-mainhall (from issues with the dependencies -key word file limit- to actually utilizing those new points of action); I am putting Vega must burn on the top of my list starting next week.

Hidden Text: re file limit • Show
I am pretty sure that will just work itself out once I tackle compatibility with the 4.X MVPs, as I am pretty sure the problem is just it with loading two versions of the Mainhalls included in both mjn's knossos distribution version fo the mainhalls and FS_Port Medivps, which I don't think are needed anymore. But since I am locked with the 3.8.2 MVPs anyway due to whatever gives me eyestrain about FSO's PBR mapping, it is not issue I've tackled so far.

As the script is done, I can go straight to the the 5 missions that still need work - esspecially now since in Erlkönig I just went and solved some items of the "technical challenges"-list - its called synergy.

One thing that already happened is that I did a little to make the PVN fighter all a bit more playable. As you probably know, the original crop of Vasudan Fighters, except for the Seth and the Anubis, have a bit of a problem when it comes to bringing all their primaries to full effect.

I added a little and simple weapons convergence to all strike craft of the Vasudans - I didn't go for dyanmic convergence, because that is reserved for the FS-era craft because there had to be some upgrades in 30+ years of service. It doesn't do a lot, but it at least at range now the Horus and the Toth will no longer the forced to choose with which side of their armaments to hit.

Next up will be adding weapons to along with change, with the as the VML-4 and the "Mako", a quick lock on and high acceleration "javelin"-type seeker missile for short range combat (which will replace the MX-50 for Vasudan craft). Full profiles on these guys once they are balanced.

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

A little teaser, the mission briefing for the Mission 5 for players who choose to fight alongside the PVD Hope.

Hidden Text: minor spoilers inside • Show

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Currently fighting a fever, which is slowing me down massively, but I manged to push on - Only manged to complete 2 of 6 phases instead a full mission, but I am about to get to the cool stuff :)

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Fever is finally gone for good - I'm back to 100 percent, no more extended staying in bed

Finished the custom hud gauge set-up...

And thanks to a little help from Axem, I can also go straight to integrating all of them into existing missions.  :)

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Another week gone by and progress made - let's have a look at the full progress board:

- Mission 1:
- - Mission critical mechanics, finished
- - Mission structure, finished
- - Mission balancing, in progress
- - Mission optional mechanics, finished
- - Briefing/Debriefing, almost there
- - Dialogue, almost there

- Mission 2:
- - Mission balancing, in progress

- Mission 3:
- - Mission critical mechanics, in progress
- - Mission structure, in progress
- - Mission balancing, TBD

- Mission 4, Scenario A:
- - Trigger for this campaign branch, TBD
- - Mission critical mechanics, in progress
- - Mission structure, almost there

- Mission 4, Scenario B:
- - Mission critical mechanics, TBD

- Mission 5a:
- - Mission balancing, finished

- Mission 5b:
- - Mission critical mechanics, TBD
- - Mission structure, TBD

- Mission 5c:
- - Mission optional mechanics, finished

- Credits/Epilogue in-game cutscene - TBD

- Mission relevant scripts - DONE (thanks to Axem)
- Mission relevant assets - DONE (thanks to Nyctaeus)

- Custom HUD gauges - almost there

- Keh'Estian Auxiliary skins for the Anubis and the Ramses/Bastet - DONE
- Hammer of Light skins for the Anubis and the Horus - DONE
- HOL/PVN/VI/GTA/GTI "Receiving Audio" comm-animations - DONE

- New weapons - in progress
- "Seeker's Codebook" - in progress
- additional fluff - TBD
- Debbugging all assets - TBD

Thanks to a recent contribution from Nyctaeus, I am now "go" to tackle Mission 4's Scenario A; after that, just to slow things back down I am taking on Mission 3.

... which will mean that one of the campaign branches, the main PVN one, will be complete.  :)

ps. Considering the situation we are all in right now, I am contemplating releasing an Open Beta-version with just the completed main PVN branch, and no support for the HoL-branch (4 Scenario B; 5c) or the second harder PVN-path (5b).

==================