Author Topic: Ran installer, now what?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Zemini

Ran installer, now what?
I don't see any applications that I can run.  I see a bunch of folders in games/freespace2 but that is it.  IS there a application I need to download too?  Is see a FSport bitmap file but that will do me now good.  DO I need to download this to my GOG folder?

THanks.

I do get this message though.

The following errors were encountered:

Install FreeSpace 2 from GOG package: An error occurred while examining the GOG package using InnoExtract.  The file may not be a valid GOG setup file, or the system may have been unable to launch InnoExtract.  Check the log file for more details.
Copy GOG cutscenes to the data directory used by FreeSpace Open: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.

Re: Ran installer, now what?
You either need to have FreeSpace 2 already installed or you have to have the Good Ole Games installer somewhere the installer can read it. Otherwise, you don't have anything but a bunch of mods, a launcher, and at least one FSO executable you can't use because you don't have the core install of the original game.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Zemini

I have freespace 2 installed on my GoG account.  All the launchers there bring me into classic mode.  Is the GoG version not installing it correctly?  What or where is this installation package that the installer is talking about.

DO I need Freespace 1 as well?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:10:14 am by Zemini »

Offline Yarn

When you run the FreeSpace Open Installer, you should see a text field labeled "Installation Directory." If you already installed FreeSpace 2, then you need to change that field to where the game is installed (by default, the GOG version does not install to Games\FreeSpace2).

Keep in mind that even after FreeSpace 2 Open is installed correctly, GOG Galaxy and all desktop and Start menu shortcuts will still run the retail version. You need to use an FSO-compatible launcher (preferably wxLauncher) to configure and run FSO.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Zemini

Okay got it to work!  I was following the quick start guide and it didnt say anything about needing a special exe and launcher go to with it.

Just need to configure it now.  I see that there are some mouse issues but I should be able to fix that.  Thanks.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was following the quick start guide and it didnt say anything about needing a special exe and launcher go to with it.
Which quick start guide is this? That sounds like essential information to be leaving out.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Zemini

I went here first.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91849.0

It only talks about running an installer.   Unless I am completely blind.

Since I am here, I also another issue.  The game states that I have 77 errors.  Not sure what that could mean.  I went into the tech room and some of the ships are not appearing.  I am using MedivaVPs 2014 (whatever that means).  There is a faq saying that MedaVps 3612 is causing model issues.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The game states that I have 77 errors.  Not sure what that could mean.  I went into the tech room and some of the ships are not appearing.  I am using MedivaVPs 2014 (whatever that means).  There is a faq saying that MedaVps 3612 is causing model issues.
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.