Author Topic: Adjusting/rebalancing TBG difficulty  (Read 3450 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Adjusting/rebalancing TBG difficulty
There have been slight differences in how the game does stuff. Herkies build is really old... but while balancing might be difficult sometimes, it shouldn't be that something that's "easily playable" on one build suddenly changes everything, elseway there'd be many reports of such things going on where stuff has become too hard as there are many campaigns that haven't been altered much (leave alone rebalenced) over the past years (from even before the version Herkie used).

So basically when playing the same campaign on an older build and then on a newer one, one might notice some small differences but it shouldn't transform the campaign from easy (Herkie says his 12 year old tester finds "Hard" easy) to very difficult like a lot here have said?

I'd take BP as example, while I think that there were some missions that were effected by changes in the engine IIRC, there was never a point where the entire campaign suddenly became unpleasant difficult.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
The boy is 13 now. He's my son. Played the AF Reboot since he was 8. Even I was shocked.

Anyway, I fix the difficulty issue. It should be playable now. The trick was  just tweaking the difficulty factors like player damage, recharge rate, number of attackers allowed, and other stuff like that. There was little need to modify the missions and the ships. I will upload the update as soon as I am able. 

FOR NOW, STRICTLY PLAY IN "VERY EASY" DIFFICULTY

I tried reducing the enemy hit points like someone suggested but I results that I didn't like. My Friendly squadron destroyed the all the hostiles before an important event was triggered like an enemy destroyer comes within range. Since I don't want to respawn lost hostiles to keep the intense action going, I made the enemy fighters equal to the friendly fighters. The specs of the Serapis Mark II is almost the same as the Avalanche with 1000 hit points. But that is not always the case. Because in some missions where I need to conserve enemy fighters, I increased their hit points even more. In other instances I change their armor types in-game.

It just that players must not be detracted with "filler" hostiles, hostiles that there for setting the environment.