Author Topic: RELEASE: Deneb III  (Read 73813 times)

Offline starlord

This reminds me: any plans to port your fs1 campaign fortunes of war to the Fsport?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Now, for the plot part:

Spoiler:
The Harbinger's capacity to penetrate the Lucifer's shields sure has certain consequences in terms of plot, and we eyewitness the complete destruction of Reactor 4 in the last mission. Considering how unique this scenario is, I wonder if Deneb III was initially meant as a prequel to another FS1 Era campaign during which the Lucifer could be destroyed ahead of its final run for Sol. Right now, I can't think of any other fan-made project which took this storytelling path.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This reminds me: any plans to port your fs1 campaign fortunes of war to the Fsport?

Yes, eventually.  But right now FoW is in a partially-completed state.  My long-term plans are to finish the FS1 version first before converting it using the FSPort.

Have you played the partial FoW release on FS1?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Spoiler:
The Harbinger's capacity to penetrate the Lucifer's shields sure has certain consequences in terms of plot, and we eyewitness the complete destruction of Reactor 4 in the last mission. Considering how unique this scenario is, I wonder if Deneb III was initially meant as a prequel to another FS1 Era campaign during which the Lucifer could be destroyed ahead of its final run for Sol. Right now, I can't think of any other fan-made project which took this storytelling path.

Spoiler:
No, Deneb III was intended as its own thing - a campaign vignette to fill in some missing parts of the ST:R and FS2 stories, in the same sense as Shrouding the Light: Origins.  I had the story outline in mind as far back as 2007; take note of the conversation in the final ST:R mission between the Soyakaze and the Guardian.

I found inspiration for the mission 3 scenario from the following points:

1) Word of :v: said that the Orion in the FS2 intro was not the Galatea.  Since this Orion wasn't mentioned in the FS1 command briefings, this implied it was a secret mission, perhaps a GTI mission.
2) If GTI was involved, it was a nice solution to the problem of what to use as the GTI logo.
3) Now, why would the GTI be involved in such a mission, and why commit so many resources to it?  Perhaps they figured out a way to attack the Lucifer.
4) Word of :v: also said that the Lucifer's shields didn't make actually it invulnerable, and that more powerful weapons would be able to punch through the shields.
5) Perhaps the Harbinger was on the ragged edge of being sufficiently powerful.  This would explain why a bomb used for planetary attacks (from the FS Ref Bible) would be adapted for tactical bombers.
6) At this point the mission scenario began to write itself.  Per the FS Ref Bible, the Vasudans used missile prototypes to attack the Lucifer.  It would make sense that the Terrans would try as well.
7) The nuking of the Orion could be explained as the Lucifer reacting to neutralize an enemy ship as soon as the ship was proven to be a legitimate threat.  The legitimacy could be achieved by the successful destruction of a single reactor.

The rest of the campaign could be filled in naturally by working backwards from mission 3.  For example, the identification of the planet as Deneb III was a nice extra detail from the debriefing of Enter the Dragon in FS1.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Spoiler:
What's the source of 4?

I always thought the Lucifer was never supposed to be truly invincible, and enough punching would have crippled its shields at some point. Whether the ship could be exposed to such firepower for a sufficient amount of time was a different tactical matter, however.

I literally had no idea this concept on the Lucifer's supposed vulnerability could be backed up by "canon" information provided by :v:. I'm surprised, and this is definitely worth some extra investigation.

I remember several arguments focused primarily on how the Lucifer was deemed responsible for wiping out the Ancients due to its supposed invincibility, and I found this concept hard to believe due to the massive scale of the (canon) A-S War. If I recall correctly, Derelict provided a significant contribute to this idea. It may be one of the several reasons why fandom didn't venture further into the Lucifer's vulnerability argument.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unfortunately, a lot of comments posted by Volition are now lost.  The Volition Bulletin Board is gone, and the VolitionWatch Bulletin Board is trapped in a backup somewhere.  And the folks at Warpcore deleted their backups of the FreeSpace Developer List, where Volition employees used to give a lot of inside information.

But this is the closest I could get to finding a comment posted here on HLP:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=26456.msg531216#msg531216
and
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=28173.msg585518#msg585518

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Thanks for these hints, they are exactly what I've been looking for. It'd be great to recover these VWBB backups and learn more about this argument in favor of the Lucifer's vulnerability.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon