Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 77553 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
nowigetthis

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry, I haven't seen that error before. I just copied all the retail VPs over from an installation I had ages ago, possibly off the retail CD ISOs, but I can't remember for sure as it was too long ago.

How are you trying to install retail? Do you have the GoG installer? Or something else?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

i did from gog
site installer

Not sure if this is the right place, but just wanted to say thank you for this huge revision to the way FS2 SCP is released and enjoyed.  I think I understand where a lot of people's reservations are coming from - especially those of us who've grown accustomed to handling every part of the install by hand.  It feels like a loss of control - where once I knew what every file was doing in its folder, and spent hours combining my preferred mods via .ini, now it's all going to just drop into place with a click?  Yuck!

Then I tried it.  It took a moment, because I hit the warning 'don't use an existing fs2 folder!' or whatever, and tried to do a complete reinstall from disk, but your program outsmarted me and installed in my SCP folder anyway.  Once I realized how it worked - creating a new directory and 'harvesting' needed files from the old one, I got all excited to try all the new campaigns and mods people have made since my last tour of duty (mid 2017).  I'm not spending 2/3rds of my freespace time sorting or extracting or testing settings or figuring which nightly will probably work...I'm just booting up knossos and actually playing the damned game.   I didn't want to like it, but I do, and I think it's essential to the long-term health of the SCP et all that this system succeeds. 

Thank you for all your hard work, and for dragging us into a new era of FS2...again.  I can't believe how long I've been playing because of you guys and gals (and NEVER GETTING BETTER AT IT sorry ignore that I'm fine), and now I think my future kid just might get a chance to do so as well.  That's wild.

Cheers.

"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein