Author Topic: [RELEASE] Silent Threat: Reborn German Translation Package [1.0]  (Read 190 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only Capella supernova.
[RELEASE] Silent Threat: Reborn German Translation Package [1.0]
Heyya,

once again for everybody who is lurking more in this Forum instead of a german-speaking community (that is... yeah apparently dead anyway, unfortunately), i can annouce, that i have finished another translation project of one of the great works of this community :).

After "FreeSpace Port" and "The Destiny of Peace" this time my focus was on the translation of Silent Threat: Reborn!

What is this Package translating?
• All missions have german text with, if available, english voice over.
• All movies have german subtitles.
• The Developer Notes
• Names of objects in the missions itself.
• Subsystems on ships and stations that are mission critical.

What is different to the original files?
• The Developer Notes were integrated from the Freespace Wiki into the Technical Database of the game to translate them there. The mission and cutscene specific entries are only available if you finish the corresponding mission in the campaign.
• The Single Missions were bugfixed and enhanced to work properly. Also they use features that were mentioned in the Developer Notes, for example the Nebula Enviroment in "Cloak and Dagger".
• Every ship from cruiser class or bigger got an individual name.
• Weapons on ships in all missions were checked and fixed if neccessary.
• The Single Missions from the Freespace Port were deactivated, so that only the older ST:R missions are available in the tech room.

What is needed for this?
FSO 3.8.0
MediaVPs 2014
wxlauncher 0.12.0 RC2 (Recommended)
All Files are also part of my FreeSpace 2 Installer (Pre-Alpha).
FreeSpace Port 3.5 with FSPort MediaVPs 2014
• My FreeSpace Port German Translation in Version 1.0.2
This modifications is also part of my FreeSpace Port Installer (1.0.2).
Silent Threat: Reborn 1.4

Download
You can download my Silent Threat: Reborn Installer (2.04 GB) that does not only include Silent Threat: Reborn and this translation in Version 1.0, but includes also a predefined wxLauncher-Profile that houses all needed flags and settings to start the modification right away after the Hardware configuration.

But for manual installation or update purposes, you can still download the translation itself:
Silent Threat: Reborn (German) (1.0) (362 KB)

Optional - The Movies with subtitles.
Silent Threat: Reborn German Subtitled Movies in 480p (129 MB)
Silent Threat: Reborn German Subtitled Movies in 720p (298 MB)
Silent Threat: Reborn German Subtitled Movies in 1080p (664 MB)

Of course you do not have to download the english speaking movies from the original mod if you want to use the german ones. Also you need only to download the resolution you want to use.
They were reencoded for the subtitles with a CRF13.5 Very Slow setting, that means, that it is unlikely to see a loss in picture quality, even there are a little bigger.

Installation
You have to extract the downloaded archives into the Freespace2-Folder. If you using the wxlauncher, you have to load "FreiRaum: Stille Bedrohung: Wiedergeboren" as the active mod. If you use another launcher, that uses folder names, you have to load "FreiRaum_fsport-str" instead.

If you use the profile from the installer, you have only to select the "Silent Threat: Reborn (Deutsch)"-Profile in the wxlauncher and you can start the mod right away after you finished the hardware configuration.

If you use a new pilot, the right campaign is already selected, otherwise select "Stille Bedrohung: Wiedergeboren" in the campaign room.

Interesting links
German Release Thread
Developmentthread for my German Translations
Page on ModDB

Some impressions

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:57:39 am by Novachen »
Female FS2 pilot since 1999.

German Translations created by me:
Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn, Awakenings (in development),

Other projects:
FSPort Mission Upgrade, Out of the Shadow: Nova Safiya Edition (Remake of the Out of the Shadow campaign, in development)

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova" ;).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: [RELEASE] Silent Threat: Reborn German Translation Package [1.0]
Fantastic work!  Glad to see your sustained efforts in modding and translation bearing great fruit. :)

That technique of adding the developer commentaries to the tech database after each mission is a very clever idea.  I may have to include that in the next ST:R update. :drevil:

Offline Novachen

Fantastic work!  Glad to see your sustained efforts in modding and translation bearing great fruit. :)

Yeah thanks. Even i am not sure if anyone will play this :D.
Interestingly i translated "Homesick" nearly 10 years ago... but i do not find my translated version anymore myself on the net.

This whole translation project was announced in 2014 for the first time... with FSPort as my first project... but right at the beginning of the translation a new FSPort that included the original german translation was released unfortunately  :lol:
So this project was sleeping for another 2 1/2 years... but 2017 alone i was able to translate 140 missions in 6 campaigns with over 10.000 entries.

But fortunately i have enough motivation for that now. And it is interesting to play right through that campaigns again, what is the best part of all that of course. A relieve after all the translation work :D.
Because i am playing the missions only after all the translation efforts, with the playtest i only try to find some last errors or bugs into the missions.

That technique of adding the developer commentaries to the tech database after each mission is a very clever idea.  I may have to include that in the next ST:R update. :drevil:

Actually i am sure that i saw this kind of usage of the species.tbl in another modification, even i can not rememeber its name. So you are welcome to use that idea :).

But because ST:R 1.4 is called "Director's Cut" the Director Commentaries were always an important feature of this whole version for me. And so i have always intended to translate them, to take this special feature into account, even my first ideas were a translation for the german freespace wiki (yes, actually there is one :D) or a text document in the mod folder.

In the end, the technical database was the best solution, because i like it more to have such information right into the game you are playigng. All other possibilites where like in the "Destiny" games, where you have to use your Smartphone to read, what you just got. In Destiny i could never comprehend why a developer is interested to keep most of its story outside of the game and not to make all the interesting Lore entries available right from the game itself.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:29:43 am by Novachen »

Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn, Awakenings (in development),

Other projects:
FSPort Mission Upgrade, Out of the Shadow: Nova Safiya Edition (Remake of the Out of the Shadow campaign, in development)

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova" ;).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well thank you, I appreciate your efforts on behalf of FSPort and ST:R. :)  Always nice to see interest from other communities besides HLP.

I was reading a few of the threads on FreeSpace Galaxy (using Google Translate) and I was impressed to see that Revan anticipated many of the ideas that we used in ST:R.  Was he spying on us? :lol:

Offline Novachen

I was reading a few of the threads on FreeSpace Galaxy (using Google Translate) and I was impressed to see that Revan anticipated many of the ideas that we used in ST:R.  Was he spying on us? :lol:

It seems so. That is indeed an interesting catch. I have never realised that :)
But afaik he is also a registered user here, maybe there is a connection.  :nervous:

Ah.. that were times when freespacegalaxy was an active freespace forum :). Today i am nearly a loner there :).
Due to the inactivity there, i started also one thread in a forum from a german gaming online magazine, which has more active users than freespacegalaxy. Maybe i will be successul with it to get some new german speaking players back to this game, maybe not... as long there are new campaign releases on HLP, i am still able to create german speaking contents for the game without to create complete own campaigns from scratch :lol:

Who knows, maybe there will be a german voice acted version of ST:R someday... even it seems very unlikely :D

Other projects: