Author Topic: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?  (Read 44547 times)

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power
Re: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?
*CLAP*

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
draw laporte as an anime cat girl. do we even have a canon appearance for laporte?

*clap*

Also, stumbled upon these the other day:

https://youtu.be/9DyrfWf-ue0
https://youtu.be/yaCx0kZl1ns
https://youtu.be/AGFxbOnVy-s

Not sure they count as canon. She might have anime cat ears under that helmet though  :lol:

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

draw laporte as an anime cat girl. do we even have a canon appearance for laporte?

She's described as "raven dark" in one of the interludes and her parents are from North Africa.

A new Baru Cormorant book just came out (buy it) which means Battuta isn't on deadline right now, so there's some hope

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

She's described as "raven dark" in one of the interludes and her parents are from North Africa.

Indeed. I could never work out if that and the *'dark little Noemi'* meant she was White with dark hair or if she was Black. I had assumed the latter due to the African heritage. That said, it is set in the 24th century, so it's perfectly possible that people of all races have intermingled throughout the world. For example, finding a Hispanic living in Finland, a Nordic in India, an Arab in Japan, an Asian in Kenya, a Somali in Russia and a European in Africa might be perfectly normal by that point. We are already starting to see this in the present as technology makes travel, migration, relocation etc. easier. If by the 24th Cent. people can travel to other planets and solar systems relatively easily, then moving around the Earth from one continent to the other would likely be fairly trivial.

*NB* This might have been a line from the "Morrigan in..." stories so I might be mixing things up a bit.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

A new Baru Cormorant book just came out (buy it) which means Battuta isn't on deadline right now, so there's some hope

Ahhhh!!!! How did I miss that?!

*finds his local bookstore and purchases immediately*

-Sara- made a number of fanart things like 10 years back, these are probably the only ones that survived to this day. Non of them was BP canon though, that's why they weren't included.

I always figured she was white with dark hair, but I guess not.

Offline Ertanax

• Professional poet, trained scriptwriter.
Etymologically, Laporte, and Laporte's family, are from ethnic groups based in modern-day Zambia or modern-day Democratic Republic of Congo, with some Occidental French mixed in. Manuel is likely French from the limited information that can be parsed, here, whilst Martin is probably African. They're not from the same sides of Laporte's family tree.

Laporte is likely mixed race and brown skinned from a postcolonial nation. Laporte grew up in a household with Zambian cuisine.  Another indicator is the bloodshot eye hallucinogenic bitmap in BP Complete. The image shows one of Laporte's eyes. Whilst you don't see the entire face, the reference image for Laporte shows a coffee brown woman with prominent, plausibly mixed race cheekbones.

Chiwetel Steele has a middle-English and West African name. You can assume he's a person of colour, as well, or he grew up in an environment with a high level of cultural interplay.

However, that is a blinkin' good head avi that deserves to be in -something- BP-esque. I'm going to  liberate it.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
The crawl this mod has taken on it's way to completion...though I could never get much beyond TBL modding...I can sympathize & understand FIRST HAND what it's like to try and complete something that started with a kind of love.

I have a fan-fic that I started on 20 years ago that can never see the light of day. Based on a loop-hole in the STARFIRE universe by David Weber & Steve White. At least the 1st of the 2 can't but even the latter which takes place MUCH later can't really. The latest installment has been in the works (3 parts) since 2003. Pt 1 went through numerous re-writes. Pt 2 went by fairly quick as I began to "write as I see it happening". Pt 3 has been ongoing for about 10 years with the last major "spurt" happening sometime in early 2012. I've crawled tooth & nail from chapter to chapter as I near the end which is only a few chapters away. Currently trying to complete the last BIG chapter after I introduced an original enemy of my own creation. The problem is figuring out how to tie things up. This project has enough OEM content to serve as an internal resource for some back stories to be retold later.

Furthermore the current project had a wrench threw into it when the main nemesis in the later STARFIRE returned in latest 2 installments that Steve White & a couple different go-authors released. Using the same opening I used 15 years before they did. But I can't start the new project until the CURRENT project is complete despite the monkey wrench. Tried starting the future one while working on this (years ago)...but succeeded in only grinding both to a halt.

All I can say is it takes time. Just hopefully we ALL can see the end before the end...
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

*Sends his Ki energy for the BP2-3 completion spirit bomb*
I know you guys have no obligation to finish BP, but I do want to encourage you it's not just one of my favorite mods, BP is one of my favorite games. I replay it probably once every 2 years or so, and I only do that for games that really show their quality.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
*Sends his Ki energy for the BP2-3 completion spirit bomb*
I know you guys have no obligation to finish BP, but I do want to encourage you it's not just one of my favorite mods, BP is one of my favorite games. I replay it probably once every 2 years or so, and I only do that for games that really show their quality.

THIS. I have started replaying though BP now, starting with AoA, then The Blade Itself, Battle for Neptune and now WiH (although I have put that on hold until the bugs that have been reported get fixed.) In the meantime I'm playing through Crysis 2 with a certain difficulty mod that is kicking mah a$$  ;7

Offline kosigan

I haven't played BP since 2010. Decided to check in on it and give it a spin after playing around with the new TIE Fighter TC mod for XWA. I am about to experience Act 2 for the first time, woo! And seriously guys, Blue Planet is in the top 3 of my favorite games ever.

I see it as a tribute to the golden age of PC Sims... Mechwarrior 2, TIE Fighter, WC III/4, Commanche/Hind... capped off with Freespace 2 as the 90s ended. I experienced that golden age of PC gaming at the exact age when most people form unshakeable nostalgia about things (10 - 15yrs old). As I grew older, I often wondered if the reverence I had for those games was that kind of nostalgia - reverence of lost youth and young imagination. You'll never experience games like you did when you were a kid, y'know?

Well, upon playing BP and WiH p1 in 2010 I became that 90s kid again losing his **** over what a computer could simulate and the world, story, and artistic vision it could convey. I was completely absorbed. I even subjected my girlfriend at the time to discussing possible theories behind the Shivans and Vishnans. Your mod is one of the best video games ever, seriously. There's magic in it.  Take as long as you guys need, and I hope one day this can reach a wider audience as more than just a mod to an old 90s game, but rather a masterpiece of interactive art that should be enjoyed like a cherished TV series or movie.

Off to get started on my campaign replay and then WiH pt 2 :D.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 04:17:49 am by kosigan »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I recently watched "The Children of Dune". So that's where BP got some of its orchestral music  :p

Hopefully, I am not too late...

*clap*

Well, that's unlikely for multiple reasons. Unless the patreon is for a pretty hefty amount of money people won't quit their dayjobs over it which doesn't solve the time problem.

And it's also totally against the FSO license agreement which clearly states:

"Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.

All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not
sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you
created based on the source."

And I imagine some team members wouldn't be comfortable receiving money for BP. And it would totally muddy up the asset-sharing part of the community. BP still uses some community assets and the original Age of Aquarius was completely made from community assets. It wouldn't really be ~right to start selling it now.

Well, since Volition uh, died, what happens to the copyright now?

Their parent company still has it.  The rights may or may not end up auctioned off. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Nothing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns