I am really a newbie at this and I have some basic questions that I didn't see answered in the FAQ or using the search tool. If this is covered somewhere, please forgive me for asking here:
I am using the FSO Installer v2.3.1 with a pretty fast Core i5-7400 3Ghz computer, a nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GPU, and 8GB RAM.
1. Everywhere I look, I see the current version of Freespace Open 3.7.4. However, when I run the installer it gives me an option for 3.8.0. Do I want 3.8.0?
2. I am running Windows 10-64 bit. I have options for:
- FreeSpace Open 3.8.0 Win32 Standard
- FreeSpace Open 3.8.0 Win32 AVX
- FreeSpace Open 3.8.0 Win64 Standard
- FreeSpace Open 3.8.0 Win64 AVX
I installed it once only installing both Win32 options (at least I think I did both). I noticed the Win64 options later and tried installing them. FS2 didn't want to run anymore.
3. When I am running the wxLauncher program, it gives me an option to Validate (I think that's the word it used) the different mods installed. When I click the buttons to validate, it doesn't seem to do anything. What does that do, if anything?
4. I am guessing I want the 2014FSU MediaVPs and not the 3.6.12 version. Am I correct?
5. Do I want to install the "Freespace Port Mission Upgrade" if I install the Freespace Port Media VPs and Silent Threat: Reborn?
Sorry for such basic questions; but, I am really finding it difficult to find basic installation information for the Installer.
Thank you for any help.