Author Topic: Ships not arriving as they're supposed to?  (Read 1028 times)

Ships not arriving as they're supposed to?
I've been playing through Homesick, and I'm stuck near the end, at "The Road to Hell..."  Spoilers for Homesick follow, presuming anyone cares about that for such an old campaign. 
Spoiler:
I'm given to understand that the Shivan corvette Kintyre is supposed to arrive to engage the GVCv Khufu to prevent it from destroying the jump node, but it doesn't arrive, either with the rest of the Shivan attack force or separately.  This makes the mission impossible to complete, as the fighter squadrons do not have the ability to destroy or disable the corvette before it reaches the node.  I'm running an old build, launcher 5.5f with the 3.6.12 mediaVPs, which work for my purposes, at least until now.  Does anyone know if there was some sort of bug in that mission or with that particular build of FS2 Open that would prevent ships from arriving?
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Ships not arriving as they're supposed to?
Keeping in mind that I only opened the mission in fred and have not played through it in years.
Spoiler:
It looks like you have to destroy the SC Jazirian, SC Ahriman, Rama, Arjuna, Krishna, Vishnu, and Indra before the Kintyre will arrive. They all have to die for the shivans to commit a corvette.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Just played it, and it looks like the default layout of loki + subach + Prometheus R + Hornet, is just insufficient to kill all the ships.  I would suggest picking the herc with Prom Regular + Subach + Hornet + Tempest.  Use the tempests on the cruisers and the hornets on the fighters.  There's just no time to take everything down with primaries.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:56:08 pm by Cyborg17 »

Ah. 
Spoiler:
It must not arrive if the Khufu leaves/self-destructs before you do it, then, because I've destroyed the Shivan attack force after failing and it doesn't materialize.  I do use a Herc with Prometheus S, Hornets, and Tempests; I'll just have to get to work on the Shivans faster. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Spoiler:
Oh shoot, I just realized, I meant to say harpoons when I said hornets.  Harpoons > hornets against strike craft.  Hornets are basically a less efficient tempest against cruisers.

Your tempests and the corvette will be sufficient for the cruisers, perhaps tell allied wings to ignore the two cruisers so they don't waste time attacking them.... Friendly fighters can often get distracted and killed going after cruisers on medium and higher. 

Yeah, I got it done.  Thanks for your help.  :)  I'll have to replay it, though; the Red Alert flag caught me with almost no missiles left, and oh boy do you need them.   :lol: 
Spoiler:
It's kind of weird how the Khufu and Kintyre don't shoot at each other, but I guess the game is counting them on the same team since they're both marked enemy.