Author Topic: Shaking Skyboxes  (Read 546 times)

Offline Nightmare

I have noticed that the skyboxes start to shake or vibrate when large/hi-poly ships (not entirely sure but I think it's the latter) are located at positions which are greater than ~150km from the 0,0,0 point of a level. This occurs whenever the player ship moves, either around or while maneuvering. Once the ship stands still the vibrating ceases. This might not effect that many people :D , but it's a bug so I thought I report it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's not a bug, exactly. What you are seeing is a result of the game engine becoming unstable due to floating point inaccuracy.
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline Nightmare

So that probably means there's nothing that could be done about it. :(

Offline m!m

At least for the skybox it should be easy to fix this since the actual rendering position of the skybox does not matter.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At least for the skybox it should be easy to fix this since the actual rendering position of the skybox does not matter.

I am not sure if the camera orientation stays stable enough for that.
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline Nightmare

Actually while I pushed the engine pretty far, with several hundred (about 220) objects being more than 150km from the mission center, some as far as 2200km away, the issue with the skybox was the only problem I've noticed.

Out of curiousity, do the rendering issues on very big ships also result from this "floating point inaccuracy"?

Offline Cyborg17

• A-1 Supar
Could you be more specific?  Are they rendering issues that happen at large distances, and what exactly happens?

Offline Nightmare

The model starts to flicker, some parts are rendered, some not. At first it happens to submodels (turrets etc/at about 100km size), then the main model.

It's a known error though, the first time I've seen it was with the planet models in INFR1.

Offline m!m

I am not sure if the camera orientation stays stable enough for that.
Is the camera orientation dependent on the camera position? Intuitively I would assume that it wouldn't be but I can't check the code right now.