Author Topic: [RELEASE] Yet another The Destiny of Peace Upgrade & German Translation [1.2.0]  (Read 153 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only Capella supernova.
[RELEASE] Yet another The Destiny of Peace Upgrade & German Translation [1.2.0]
Heyya guys,

back then between my german translation for the FreeSpace Port and the translation for Silent Threat: Reborn i also created one for "The Destiny of Peace" for which i did not created a topic here.
This is about to change, because i updated my "The Destiny of Peace" translation to be compatible with the new version that is part of the (Unofficial) FSPort Upgrade. (even it should be playable without it if you stick to the english language, but i did not tested it and so i do not give any support if you play it without the Upgrade.)

This time it is a full multi-language release that includes two different mod.ini, one of them in a subfolder. This is needed to start both language versions seperately, because both languages has some specific files that cause display errors if you play it with the wrong one. (font01.vf, i am looking at you!)

I know, that there are two other Destiny of Peace upgrades right now in this forum, this one and the version that is part of the FS1 Campaign Compilation.

Even this translation used the mentioned single Destiny of Peace release as a base, there are actually some additional things i have added to it, that could make this upgrade interesting for english players aswell.

Changes:
• Command Briefings got the uniform appearance from the "The Great War"-campaign. So there are location and date informations now. This campaign takes places from 27th October 2335 to 3rd November 2335, now.
• Several ships got an own invidual name.
• Additional Name Plates for various ships.
• All E-Mails are adressed to the player personally, now.
• Mandala Prime was added to the Background of the mission "No Man's Land" because it take place at the same location as the final mission of this campaign.
• The Wayward Son in the mission "No Man's Land" was changed into a GTC Fenris class, because it is the class the ship has in the mission "Flagstaff".
• Command Briefings chapters that extends over two pages are now in only one.
• The Ship Class for the Unknown Ship in the mission "The White Flag" was changed into the same one the player encounters in "Shadow Dancer".
• Both Aten-Cruisers are now appearing in "Shadow Dancer" aswell which reactivates the Bonus Objective in this mission.
• The Orientation of the Nepenthe, the Unknown Ship and both Cruisers in "Shadow Dancer" were turned around to make the impression that the Vasudans are secretly following the Nepenthe.
• Some changed events and AI goals in "Checkmate" that make it possible to proceed in the mission even without the destruction of all fighters.
• New paths for the destroyers in "Checkmate" so that the Alexander Bell will not be moved anymore by an Orion that jumps out.
• The Orientation of the White Dwarf and Red Giants in the mission "Checkmate" were turned around to make the impression that they are waiting for the Nepenthe.
• Armageddon and Apocalypse wings in "Checkmate" can not receive player orders anymore and will appear in the "Wingmen"-gauge.
• Apocalypse wing appear in the "Wingmen"-gauge during the mission "The Destiny of Peace".
• Some changed events and AI goals in the mission "The Destiny of Peace" to tweak it a bit.

What is needed for this?
• FreeSpace 2  :rolleyes:
FSO Nightly 3.8.1.20180811 or newer.
MediaVPs 3.8.X in a folder called MediaVPs_38x (or change the mod.ini of this mod or the mod.ini of the english version respectively)
wxlauncher 0.12.0 RC2
FreeSpace Port 3.5 with FSPort MediaVPs 2014
FSPort Upgrade 1.3.0 & German Translation AddOn [2.0.0]
As i said, if you play in english only you maybe not need it. It is required for the translation however.

Download
FreiRaum: Das Schicksal des Friedens (23,31 MB) - FreeSpace Files Mirror - MediaFire Mirror - Google Drive Mirror

Installation
You have to extract the download archive into your FreeSpace 2 Folder. In wxLauncher you can select "The Destiny of Peace" as the active mod.
If you are not interested to have the german version in your wxlauncher aswell because you are not using it anyway, you can actually move the files from the FreiRaum_fsport-dop\link folder into the main mod folder.

All available missions/campaigns next to "The Destiny of Peace" aswell the availability of the messagebox is controlled by the FSPort-Upgrade folder. So read the installation instruction in the (Unofficial) FSPort Upgrade topic about that.

Interesting links
German Release Thread
Developmentthread for my German Translations
Page on ModDB

Feedback is appreciated in this thread, on FreeSpaceGalaxy or per E-Mail, because i did that translation and upgrade completely alone.

Happy flyin'!

Some impressions
If you need some impressions here are some screenshots from the current german version.

Female FS2 pilot since 1999.

Global Moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy.
German Translations created by me: Between the Ashes 1, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn
Campaign & Mod Upgrades created by me: Into the Halls of Valhalla, Luyten Civil War, Renegade Resurgence, VeniceMirror Chapter One: The Laramis Schism, A Walk in the Sun, Rogues!, Revenge: Final Conflict

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova".

Re: [RELEASE] Yet another The Destiny of Peace Upgrade & German Translation [1.2.0]
Is this available through Knossos?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only Capella supernova.
Re: [RELEASE] Yet another The Destiny of Peace Upgrade & German Translation [1.2.0]
Is this available through Knossos?

Currently not. And actually i do not know if it will be, because there are already three different Destiny of Peace releases on it, two with a very similar name and i think that another one could simply be too confusing for players, because you can see all three of it in the Explore Tab at once.

Also i do not have a good solution that enables the user to install both languages at the same time. In wxlauncher you can simply switch to the other Language. In Knossos i could include an optional package for that, but that require that the user have to deinstall/install it everytime he want to change the used language version, which contradict the idea, i had in mind for such releases.

The only solution that would be similar is the creation of two individual runable Mods where one of it simply has the requirement not to use the german translation as a base... but that would end in a cluttered Client with several Placebo Mods, which is also not a desireable solution and in wxlauncher you simply only have the mods you choosed. Not to speak that this method is more difficult to manage, because i have to check two mods for their version dependency every time if there is any update to the dependencies.
And there were already problems with the mods i have uploaded in the past because most package dependencies were set to a different option (mostly "Newest") automatically after i have only changed the meta data for an updated description which resulted in countless conflicts that made it unable to run the Mods at all later and i did not knew about that.

Following is only an emotional outburst i could not held back any longer. And so it is totally OT.
Spoiler:
Not to speak of, that i actually dislike the idea, which make a client an requirement at all, where i actually do not see, where the sole future in this is, because especially Galaxy in comparsion to Steam and Origin demonstrated already that this is not the case and that a client should be a helpful optional tool only, but as every method, it has also own downsides.
There were countless mod updates on Knossos that were undocumented which is a very bad habit i know from Steam and Origin aswell. Unfortunately a development i have supported myself in the past months and for that i'm feeling very shabby actually.

But that is a subject for another topic, maybe the Knossos one or the topic where people are to be made to look silly and to be declared as archaic individuals that refuse the future, were i actually very very miffed about because it simply demonstrates disrepectfulness to other opinions.

But well, i said already too much about that.
Female FS2 pilot since 1999.

Global Moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy.
German Translations created by me: Between the Ashes 1, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn
Campaign & Mod Upgrades created by me: Into the Halls of Valhalla, Luyten Civil War, Renegade Resurgence, VeniceMirror Chapter One: The Laramis Schism, A Walk in the Sun, Rogues!, Revenge: Final Conflict

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova".