Author Topic: Toss a coin to your Witcher....  (Read 1607 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Toss a coin to your Witcher....
Because this is either heaven or hell (depending on your ability to watch quality TV shows), Netflix released the first season of its Witcher show recently. Now, while I haven't been able to see all the episodes yet, I willl say that this show definitely is very good. Cavill is too damn pretty, but he has the moves and the voice; the rest of the cast are between adequate and perfect.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Toss a coin to your Witcher....
As a fan who has now read all the books and played all the games sans Thronebreaker, I am loving the show.  A couple minor changes that I'm not sure how much I agree with, but I understand television is always a little bit different than the books.

So far, Season 1 very closely follows the first novel, which is a collection of short stories.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
I have mixed feelings...I also have played all the games and read all the books, and overall I liked the show. In theory, I like the idea of having the season follow the 1st book (as a collection of short stories), but in practice I think they needed to tie the episodes together a little better. Like...I read the book, so I knew what was going on, but I could definitely see someone who's just played the games being very confused by all the jumping around in the show... Does that make sense?
Cavill is definitely too pretty, but he did a much better job than I thought he would. They ****ed up Mousesack though, which makes me sad. Both in terms of the casting/costuming, and the character himself.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
As a guy who is fanatically loyal to my beloved Witcher franchise, I was very sceptical... And even more surprised when the show launched. This is damn good. There are lots of issues I have with the show, but it's overally awesome, enjoyable and entertaining. Definitely worth watching.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

The best thing about this thus far is finding out that Cavill is a big Total Warhammer 2 fan.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Kate Beckinsale needs to play Yennifer.....  Dear sweet Kate......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Kate Beckinsale needs to play Yennifer.....  Dear sweet Kate......
imho Eva Green should play Yennefer.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Luis Dias

As someone whose experience was playing an hour of w3 and be utterly bored by it, I enjoyed the show very much, and welcomed the opportunity to experience its story without the dread of reading books (ah ah) nor the dread of grinding boring quests. It was fine. Looking forward to the next season.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished the show yesterday. Definitely a good one that, unlike other Netflix shows (looking at you *all of the Marvel shows*), contained very little filler and was just filled to the brim with interesting characters and scenes.
I'm now hooked (and please, all ye gods, make that "Mark Hamill plays Vesemir" thing happen....)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
My wife and I are halfway through the last episode and I... am not loving it so far.  This is a significant departure from the books to no real purpose, and I've having difficulty understanding exactly where they plan to go from here.  Perhaps it will suddenly about-face, but the changes to Fringilla, Cahir, and Vilgefortz in particular make me annoyed.

I really dislike what they've done to Cahir in particular.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]