Author Topic: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)  (Read 3786 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)
There are people who unironically use VLC in 2019? :confused:

It plays everything under the sun and it has a portable installation, so why wouldn't you?

MPC is okay, but I find for breadth of playback support VLC is considerably better.  Either works as a generic well-rounded audio/video player.  I don't listen to offline music or watch much offline video that isn't tied into a streaming service's offline mode these days, however, so I suppose if someone still listens to a few thousand MP3 files or downloads discrete video files for offline viewing routinely there are probably better niche options out there for those obsessed with specific quality filters and options.

And I'll grant that VLC's playlist handling is clunky.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:57:51 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Re: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)
It plays everything under the sun and it has a portable installation, so why wouldn't you?

Because the picture quality is total ass?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Because the picture quality is total ass?

Okay, I'll bite - as compared to?  I mean, VLC's "superiority" as a perfect player absolutely isn't a hill I'm prepared to die on, but as an open-source capable play-everything-on-multiple-platforms audio/video player with simplified installation options (i.e. portable), I've yet to be introduced to anything that fits that description and performs better.  Plus the caveats in my last post - it's not like I'm trying to load 4k video into VLC (especially since I don't have a single 4k display). :p
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:17:38 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
MPC with madVR renderer is that all those videophiles use. I wouldnt say VLC looks like ass but there is a subtle difference, especially with advanced neural network upscalers. You can see comparison pics on madVR site here:

http://madvr.com/
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well the biggest problem with VLC is, that it uses own Codecs with wrong settings in some cases or even very outdated versions of them.

But well, i think at least for music playback VLC still works (and that is, what this topic here is about), but i would never use it for Videos again.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

KMPlayer and PotPlayer both work with madVR as well. Anyone who cares about quality will want to use one of the supported players and madVR. And all of these players have a portable version so it's not like VLC has them beat there.
VLC not only lacks that support but as said before only uses internal codecs for both audio and video. You're going to get much better quality, performance, and customizability with things like K-lite codec pack and a player that supports external codecs.

MPC also works best with SVP so if you want framerate interpolation you'll probably want to use MPC-HC.
There is pretty much no reason to use VLC for video playback ever.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
-snip-

Hrmmm.  I've always kept VLC around just because I cannot be arsed to screw around with codecs and it was handy as a portable app.  That said, this is some good information; I'll give MPC-HC a shot for the hell of it next time I'm watching anything offline.