Author Topic: X-Men in MCU: Your Picks for Actors  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
X-Men in MCU: Your Picks for Actors
So it looks as though Disney may be introducing its own take on the X-Men in their MCU, now that they've acquired the characters from FOX.  Whether they decide to include only a smattering of characters as part of their other properties, or recreate the entire team is unclear at this point, though there seems to be a consensus that they won't do anything serious for about 7-10 years or so.  With that in mind, my wife and I, both of us X-Men fans decided to try to assemble a list of actors and actresses that we knew of who, in 7-10 years, might be the right age and a good fit for the roles.  You may see some common themes in the sources of these actors, based on what we're exposed to.  Since our daughter is a fan of the Disney kids TV series, you will find many have been taken from their ranks.  Also, Disney is already familiar with them so they've been vetted.

Lets start with Professor "X" himself.  Many will say, my wife included, that no-one (not even James McAvery) can match Patrick Stewart in that role, but I don't think he'd be a good choice if Disney is trying to set itself apart from the previous Fox incarnation.  My wife says that whoever it is, needs to have the same intellectual presence of Stewart, and should be British as well.  Running through my mental list, I came up with Ioan Gruffudd, star of the first pair of Fantastic 4 films.  My wife was previously familiar with his work from the Horatio Hornblower movies (she likes tall ships), so he's already got an IN in her book.  He's nearly 46 now, so he'd be about the right age within the 7-10 year timspsan.  Granted, he's not bald, but they could CGI that if they needed, just look at what they did to Henry Cavill's beard.

Next we'll cross the aisle and go for Magneto.  You need someone who can play both the villain and the hero in equal measure, and in keeping with British-actors-make-good-intellectual-authority-figures rationale, I thought that perhaps Tom Ellis of the now-on-Netflix show Lucifer might be a good choice.  He's about 5 years younger than Gruffudd, but the two are supposed to be roughly the same age.  Another possibly different take on the character involves the fact that Magneto is born of conflict.  For the previous movies they had Magneto be of Jewish descent, having lived through the WWII Holocaust.  With Magneto having been born in the late 70's, perhaps have him live through the aftermath of the 1991 Gulf war.  After Saddam Hussein was kicked out of Kuwait, the terms of the ending of hostilities allowed him to use his remaining forces to put down a Kurdish Uprising in the North.  If Magneto was from this area his powers could have been unleashed when Saddam came a knockin'.  Also, the Kurdish uprising was spurred on by indications that the CIA would support such an uprising, but there was no support.  This could go towards Magneto's distrust of those who purport to be "the good guys".  Granted, I can't say for certain if Ellis can pull off playing Kurdish.

Moving on, but staying on the same side of the aisle, we'll do Saber-tooth.  You need someone with presence and height.  Previous portrayals have included a Pro Wrestler (Tyler Mane), and Liev Schreiber, both of whom are over 6 ft. tall.  Then it occurred to me that perhaps they should keep things within the family... so to speak.  Go with the brother of Thor himself, Liam Hemsworth, currently 28, who is also 6'3".

Switching to the opposite side of the aisle again, we'll go with Wolverine.  There has been much speculation that Taron Egerton, of Kingsman fame, would be a good choice.  Rather than follow the crowd, I thought that perhaps I'd chose someone with a connection to one of the other actors I've suggested, Jush Hutcherson, who like Hemsworth, was a star of the Hunger Games films.  He's currently coming up on 27 (about 3 years younger than Egerton), and unlike the previous Hugh Jackman, who played an abnormally tall Wolverine (who is supposed to be short and stocky), is 5'7" (Egerton is 5'9") might more closely match the character's intended stature.

BTW, in-case you missed it, my wife is also a Hunger Games fan.

Crossing back to the traditional bad guys, we'll go with Mystique.  I had made a few suggestions to my wife for her, but she reminded me that both recent incarnations of the character have been portrayed as very physical roles, rather than just doing disguises as her thing, and people seem to have come to expect that of the character now.  In keeping with that, she suggested Dove Cameron.  I was reluctant to suggest her, since she already has had a role in a Marvel production, as the character Ruby during the second half of Season 5 of Agents of SHEILD, and that could make her ineligible.  That aside, she already showed in that role that she could handle the physical aspects of Mystique, and is already on Disney's payroll.

Next we'll cross back with Jean Grey.  When Famke Janssen portrayed her in the first film, she was in her mid 30's.  With that in mind, I've suggested Sofia Carson (needing a change in hair color though), currently starring in Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists, who is now 26.

Since I'm running out of bad characters, we'll go with an ambiguous character, Emma Frost.  In keeping with Disney actresses, I've suggested Peyton List, who is currently 21, and certainly has the complexion for it.

Finally (for now), we'll return to the X-Men with Rogue.  At my wife's suggestion, Willow Shields, also of Hunger Games fame, would be a good match, as long as she could get the accent down proper.  Keep in mind, that this would be a more age-appropriate Rogue, unlike Anna Paquin was portraying a young teenager in the first movie, as Sheilds is currently 19 but would be in her mid to late 20's in the anticipated time-frame.

That's all I can come up with for now.  Feel free to include your own suggestions or make comments (constructive criticism).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: X-Men in MCU: Your Picks for Actors
To both rock the boat generally and serve my own selfish desires to hear her talk in a southern belle accent, I choose Scarlett Johanssen to play Rogue  ;7  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Gender-flip every character as a deconstructionist move before casting people.

EDIT: okay, there is another perfectly valid reason other than deconstruction to do this (and I am not talking about enjoying the spectacle that would follow)

So, basically the X-Men have enough of a cultural presence since the first movies that you can assume that even an casual audience has a vague conception of who the characters are - or are familiar enough with the disney/marvel routine to know such a thing exists.

Additionally, part of intellectual backbone of X-Men is the othering of the mutants - i.e. the if, why and how they are recognized and precieved as different and the actions, in-actions and attitudes that follow.

Making a large scale "familiar yet very different"-artistic move would take that point additionally to being part of a movies text into the audience reception - boosting it on meta-textual level.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:10:18 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
I've honestly stopped caring about X-Men movies a long time ago. 

And I'm thinking the MCU will pretty much die off now that its primary arc has been completed.

Not to mention they were obviously trying to set up the Young Avengers with Spider-Man at the lead, which just blew up in their face thanks to their greed.

Iron Man gone, Steve Rogers gone, Thor gone (Love & Thunder will be Chris Hemsworth's last film), Black Widow gone (except for the upcoming prequel movie)...  The entire core of the Avengers has been carved out.  I don't see Captain "Meh"vel as any kind of leader and aside from Spider-Man there isn't really anyone to pass the torch to...which is a non-issue since we won't see him in the MCU anymore.

My guess?  Within 5 years, the MCU will have dramatically slowed down.  I don't see another 10-year buildup leading to Adam Warlock fighting Galactus...as much as I wish that could happen.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Erm what? The biggest media franchise that has cemented itself in pop culture will just fade away after it made the highest grossing film ever that was also very well received by both critics and fans? This is the same media franchise who's worst movies are still passable films. You're talking about the same media franchise that's adding meaningful diversity (not that one) to their slate and got great media hype just a few weeks ago about what's next, right? The one that's giving us Mahershala Ali as Blade? I don't see it yet. It'll happen eventually. Culture always moves on. But I really don't think it'll be soon unless phase 4 is worse than a complete bust.

And the Sony thing is still shaking out. There were new rumors just today. I'd refrain from conclusions until something concrete is published.

Also.. x-men could be a really timely addition with the obvious xenophobic themes present in the material.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:50:18 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
Erm what? The biggest media franchise that has cemented itself in pop culture will just fade away after it made the highest grossing film ever that was also very well received by both critics and fans? This is the same media franchise who's worst movies are still passable films. You're talking about the same media franchise that's adding meaningful diversity (not that one) to their slate and got great media hype just a few weeks ago about what's next, right? The one that's giving us Mahershala Ali as Blade? I don't see it yet. It'll happen eventually. Culture always moves on. But I really don't think it'll be soon unless phase 4 is worse than a complete bust.

And the Sony thing is still shaking out. There were new rumors just today. I'd refrain from conclusions until something concrete is published.

Also.. x-men could be a really timely addition with the obvious xenophobic themes present in the material.

Well, Black Panther was a horrible film (not just Captain Marvel) and I do feel that Endgame was pretty much the highest point the series would reach.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I thought it was a convoluted mess
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png