Author Topic: OpenVR support  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
With the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx as a VR-only title, and inspired by this, I've felt compelled to do a full OpenVR support for FSOpen. I believe VR is the future of FSO, and while someone got it working under VR headsets such as the HTC Vive in at least one Youtube video, it hasn't been materialised.

As you know, OpenVR is an API and runtime that allows access to VR hardware from multiple vendors without requiring that applications have specific knowledge of the hardware they are targeting. This repository is an SDK that contains the API and samples. The runtime is under SteamVR in Tools on Steam.

At the moment, I could add simple initialisation and cleanup in the freespace.cpp file. But how to integrate the entire OpenVR library?

In the long term, OpenVR could open FSO to supporting not just the Vive, but also Valve Index, Oculus Rift and Windows MR.

EDIT: I've forgot to add some of the benefits of VR in FSO. For example, you want to call out support, issue commands to wingmen, and taunt enemy targets by simply saying out words that act as commands, here's your chance to do it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:57:40 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At the moment, I could add simple initialisation and cleanup in the freespace.cpp file. But how to integrate the entire OpenVR library?

So you can do the really easy bit that anyone can do, but have no idea how to do any of the truly hard bits.

Here's a friendly suggestion, Bryan: Go away and start learning. We're not your teachers. There are plenty of resources available out there for graphics coding and VR integration, go and read them and do your own experiments; then, if you think you know how you can do a VR application, you can try and add VR support to FSO.

EDIT: I've forgot to add some of the benefits of VR in FSO. For example, you want to call out support, issue commands to wingmen, and taunt enemy targets by simply saying out words that act as commands, here's your chance to do it.

You don't need VR for any of those things.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yeah but it wouldn't be VR then. ;)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

So you can do the really easy bit that anyone can do, but have no idea how to do any of the truly hard bits.

Here's a friendly suggestion, Bryan: Go away and start learning. We're not your teachers. There are plenty of resources available out there for graphics coding and VR integration, go and read them and do your own experiments; then, if you think you know how you can do a VR application, you can try and add VR support to FSO.

Thanks, but I'll add VR support for FSO regardless, along with COLLADA and PhysX.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, you won't. You've been talking about doing it for literally years now and have not written a single line of code that would get you to that goal; just like all the other big projects you claim to be doing but that never go anywhere, really.

Seriously, Bryan, how stupid do you think we are? You have no credibility, and, based on the quality of your work, no skills whatsoever. You're a bad writer, an even worse game designer, and your coding skills are nonexistent. If these are things you want to do, skills you want to develop, then you need to put in the hours and do the ****ing work; right now, all you're doing is talking about doing things, and I for one am tired of it. It's either put up or shut up, and I don't see you putting things up.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks, but I'll add VR support for FSO regardless, along with COLLADA and PhysX.

Ok. Can you deliver by the end of this month? Would be your chance to impress people.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Bryan, FSO is an open source project that anyone can improve. There isn't really any "SCP dev team" you can tell to work harder, as you did, everyone who wants contributes.

If you think you have a good idea, implement it in your FSO repository fork. If it works and is useful for anything, show us and it may be merged into FSO master. That's how it works.

Also usually frequent FSO contributors have nothing against making some adjustements if asked nicely, but you don't only want rewriting of a large portion of the engine, but you're basically demanding it.

This is called voice recognition and I'm pretty sure it is implemented in FSO and working.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yeah VR and VR aRe two different things BS 👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
<snip>
This is called voice recognition and I'm pretty sure it is implemented in FSO and working.

I think it's actually not working very well. I remember trying it once and not only did it often fail to recognize commands, it also was slow to act on the ones it did recognize. Unless it has improved since. It's also quite undocumented, a player wouldn't know how to use it even if they knew it existed.
Though I guess this is not what this thread is about anyway.
Potato!