Author Topic: So the SG Rahu is essentially...a glowbug???  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: So the SG Rahu is essentially...a glowbug???
@Su-tehp: TLDR when you want to make some Shivan SRBC just take one of the Mjolnir beams, color it red and don't use any custom unbalanced stuff. :)

Hmm, a red beam coming out of a turqouise Terran-designed RBC...those two colors just clash with each other.  :ick: (Not to mention that red-blue color-blind players won't even be able to see that awesomeness. :( )

Unless you mean take an SSG Annihilator and make sure it's equipped with a red-colored Mjolnir beam. If that's what you meant, then I heartily approve. :yes:

EDIT: I just realized all the custom Shivan sentry gun mods all have multiple cannons, not a single large beam like the Mjolnir. And a reskinned Mjolnir with a Shivan skin would be a cop-out as well as too angular and Terran-looking a design for the Shivans. :nono:  :ick:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:21:36 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Unless you mean take an SSG Annihilator and make sure it's equipped with a red-colored Mjolnir beam. If that's what you meant, then I heartily approve. :yes:
This. Also don't forget to use an LRed sound or something like that. :)

Hehe. I'm still entertaining the idea of a Fenris chasing a Rahu and getting blasted by its engine death beam.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hehe. I'm still entertaining the idea of a Fenris chasing a Rahu and getting blasted by its engine death beam.

That brings a whole new meaning to the term "butt blaster."

It is truly a horrifying time when the Shivans are emulating cowards like the Spathi. :eek: :eek2: :eek:

So now the SG Rahu is not just a glowbug, it's a farting glowbug. That farts superheated plasma. On FIRE.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:34:56 pm by Su-tehp »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam

It is truly a horrifying time when the Shivans are emulating cowards like the Spathi. :eek: :eek2: :eek:

So now the SG Rahu is not just a glowbug, it's a farting glowbug. That farts superheated plasma. On FIRE.
Heh. Check out the second picture. https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96249.msg1892677;topicseen#msg1892677

That Rahu beam looks really fancy. I think there are some cruisers that could work as RBCs as well.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Shivan specifically?  I think the fenrisathan is made for it 👍. Huge WiFi dish for stable control connection like a mavic drone and that cute ineffective fusion mortar*

*may not include fusion mortar
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Heh. Check out the second picture. https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96249.msg1892677;topicseen#msg1892677

As I said in the other thread, I still can't tell if the Rahu is going forwards or backwards due to thinking that the red glowing engine was originally a ram-scoop. I'm glad my "farting glowbug" routine inspired Colt, though.

The Order of the Stick

So you're not going to feature the Beamrahu in DatDB?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
So you're not going to feature the Beamrahu in DatDB?

I'm fairly certain I'll need a Shivan RBC, but resorting to a Beamrahu RBC is something that I'll only do under the greatest duress. :P

Remind me, which mission in FS2 features the only canon appearance of the Rahu? (There was only one appearance of it, right?)

The Order of the Stick

The Fog of War is the only one IIRC.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The Fog of War is the only one IIRC.

I just watched Renairen's playthrough on Youtube. Now I remember: the first "appearance" of the Sathanas. I put "appearance" in quotes because I remember that the first time I played this mission (lo, these many years ago), I couldn't see crap of the Sathanas because of the nebula. It wasn't until I could see it unobscured that I could truly appreciate how frakkin' BIG the thing was. :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

And I also saw from Renairen's playthrough of this mission that the Rahu is indeed beyond any possible doubt...a glowbug. Yup, those engine exhaust flames coming out of that big red glowy ass has settled the question for all time. So I guess those small blocky protrusions at the front port and front starboard of the Rahu are where it takes in deuterium to convert to fuel? :confused:

The Order of the Stick

I tought the rotating part might be some sort of Shivan gas refinery that doesn't rotate like normal gas centrifuges do, but in some stepped was.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I tought the rotating part might be some sort of Shivan gas refinery that doesn't rotate like normal gas centrifuges do, but in some stepped was.

Wait, so the rotating cylinder is kinda like the rotating barrel of a concrete-mixing dump truck?

I'm just reposting this pic of a Rahu taking a dump (just because I can). :pimp:

I'm never gonna be able to look at the Rahu the same way again. :( :sigh: :(

The Order of the Stick

Well the Shivans have motherf****** concrete-mixing dump trucks in SPACE :eek:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:40:42 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

I'd guess the Rahu is cursed for you now :p

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I'd guess the Rahu is cursed for you now :p

Meaning what? That every time I look at the Rahu from now on, I'll see a demonic glowbug which farts red lasers and will forevermore remind me of Samuel L. Jackson?

Eh, there are worse curses. *shrug*

The Order of the Stick