Author Topic: Split of Soundscapes: Desaturation Effect From Beams  (Read 1641 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Split of Soundscapes: Desaturation Effect From Beams
Random derail: very large beams de-saturating color in surrounding area during warm-up would be a cool effect.

Re: Split of Soundscapes: Desaturation Effect From Beams
Wait are you talking about visual effects?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

I did say it was a derail.  Didn't think it warranted a new thread, just a passing mention.

I did say it was a derail.  Didn't think it warranted a new thread, just a passing mention.

I don't know if that effect is even possible.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

I don't know if that effect is even possible.

You know how the beam color reflects off of all surfaces when fired? And the warmup glow should do the same for the surrounding area?  Have the warmup glow be desaturation - sort of like how you can have a certain color be "transparent".  Probably would need new coding to implement.

Yep it probably requires coding effort first. Also, I can't imagine how a BFRed makes everything around it... grey. If anything, it should be double-red IMO.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You know how the beam color reflects off of all surfaces when fired? And the warmup glow should do the same for the surrounding area?  Have the warmup glow be desaturation - sort of like how you can have a certain color be "transparent".  Probably would need new coding to implement.

Definitely not possible without some fairly major changes to the post-processing pipeline (desaturation being a post-process effect). Getting beam chargeup to emit light should be doable though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Don't they already emit light while warming up? Anyway, I'd rather prefer to see lightsources where you can specify an intensity unrelated to how bright the actual effect (like the beam glow or whatever is).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Don't they already emit light while warming up?

I thought so.

Yep it probably requires coding effort first. Also, I can't imagine how a BFRed makes everything around it... grey. If anything, it should be double-red IMO.

Sort of like how the current effect seems to draw in light 'particles'.  Think a black hole of grayscale effect - the weapon seems to be sapping vitality from its surroundings.

Should also make the beam breakout seem a lot more punchy when all the color comes back.

That might work as a cutscene effect for a single very, very, VERY big beam, like the Icanus main cannon; even on a Sath it would feel out of place.