Author Topic: A Question  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Solatar

Could someone look at what the built-in "No" command is caused by? I always wondered whether it had a case trigger or not, it has recorded and tabled lines in both retail FS1 and FS2 but I never heard it so it seems like something might actually trigger it under certain conditions, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure that in addition to the normal "c" communications menu, you can give wingmen orders with keyboard macros (shift + different keys for each command). If you try to give wingmen an order that doesn't work (attack a friendly craft, etc.), you get that "Not here, sir!" response. You don't usually hear those lines, because you can't give those kinds of orders from the normal menu (they're grayed out).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:37:32 am by Solatar »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Could someone look at what the built-in "No" command is caused by? I always wondered whether it had a case trigger or not, it has recorded and tabled lines in both retail FS1 and FS2 but I never heard it so it seems like something might actually trigger it under certain conditions, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure that in addition to the normal "c" communications menu, you can give wingmen orders with keyboard macros (shift + different keys for each command). If you try to give wingmen an order that doesn't work (attack a friendly craft, etc.), you get that "Not here, sir!" response. You don't usually hear those lines, because you can't give those kinds of orders from the normal menu (they're grayed out).

That's what I figured, I was asking if anyone had proof of that.  :nervous:

I'll try it hang on.

EDIT:

EDIT2: Okay, so why doesn't "All Clear" ever play?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:33:48 am by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
🤔🤔🤔
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You are partially right. Player orders to a ship have higher priority than orders to a wing. When given via the comms menu. When given by SEXP or initial orders, they use those priorities instead.

That's why you are advised in the initial orders editor to keep priorities below 89. Priorities above that can interfere with player orders. Now that might be what you actually want (i.e wingmen have a specific target they will go after and only once it's dealt with, will they listen to the player) but you have to be careful.

EDIT: Found the code that defines those priorities.

Code: [Select]
#define PLAYER_PRIORITY_MIN 90
#define PLAYER_PRIORITY_SHIP 100
#define PLAYER_PRIORITY_WING 95

Using the comms menu, orders to "All ships" have a priority of 90. Wings 95 and individual ships are 100. What this means is that if I set Beta wing to attack a Shivan destroyer with a priority of 96 the player can order beta 1 to do something else, but if he orders beta wing to do it, they'll respond with an "Affirmative Sir!" message and then quietly ignore him and carry on with what they are doing until it's finished. Only then will the player's orders have priority.

This seems like legitimately bugged behavior from a player standpoint. If I give a ship/wing an order, and them issue another order, my expectation is that the ship/wing in question will do the last thing I told them to. Finding out this isn't the case after playing this game for almost 20 years is mind-boggling, and probably explains any number of bull**** things I've seen the AI do (or in this case, not do). I mean would it be reasonable to adjust this behavior so that the last-issued order takes precedence, regardless of whether it's a ship or a wing?