Author Topic: Receiver 2 is great and you should play it.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Receiver 2 is great and you should play it.
I like it because it emphasizes, well, how incredibly dangerous firearms are [...]

Eh, from what I've seen and heard (mostly from you and other HLPers), this is what the entire game is about :P. But in the case of the Glock, it's more of a reminder of how unfortunately disconnected is simulating things in games to actual real experiences. That reminds me of how I tried to play Forza Horizon 4 at a friend's place with a proper racing setup (wheel + shifter + paddles), and how unbelieveably offputting was the lack of G-forces...
That said, still. When you operate - holster, unholster, wave around - your firearm, you absolutely always keep the finger off the trigger, period. On every half decent shooting range you get that hammered into your head immediately, and it's the first thing that should enter your muscle memory. This is the right way to hold and carry a weapon. In reality, you actually have to put in some effort to holster the weapon not safely and shoot yourself, contrary to the game. (That said, not having a chambered round or using safeties if the gun has any is a way to protect yourself from your own mistake)

I like the concept of the game though. Seeing in how many different ways can something wound or kill you is one of the best ways of teaching people how and why to be really careful with it and how to use it properly. A thing that the vast majority of shooty games just entirely disregards or skims over. That'll really make for some more people educated on weapon safety out in the world, and also they'll be enjoying educating themselves like that. Which is good.
Besides I work with electricity and this rule just gives me a reminder every once a while, so I think this doesn't only apply to weapons and that I at least partially know what I'm talking about :P.

I wonder if such mechanics ever make it into any other shooty survival games. For example, multiple mods for Stalker series games have mechanics of taking care of your weapons (mostly weapon repair/cleaning but nothing very in depth), but not really anything on properly using them. Something like this would be neat to see.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Maybe I'm just a little cynical about the transfer of information/habits from video games to real life, but even with the added emphasis on "firearms are dangerous," it's still a game. A game with a conceit that makes you pause, sure, but still a game. I have my doubts whether it could possibly translate to folks actually being educated about weapon safety IRL, especially because of the massive disconnect between doing something on a keyboard and actually using a firearm safely. It might work better as a VR game, because at least then you have similar muscle memory, but I dunno. IMO, you want someone to learn to respect firearms, take them to a range and put some holes through a target. Even better, take them somewhere safe and put some holes in something more substantial than a soda can or a paper target.

That said, I do think there's room for shooters to include that level of 'realism' (depending on the game of course). I mean, I'm still pretty happy if a game disables, or at least gives me the option to disable, automatic reloading. I know at least one of the many Stalker mods also had a feature that required hitting reload again to clear a jam, which was a nice touch. The Day-Z standalone and several mods for Arma 3 have mechanics that require manually reloading magazines, and manually loading said magazines in the gun, which is another oft-overlooked aspect of firearms, but afaik none of them include having to rack the slide or disable the safety (and certainly nothing about accidentally shooting yourself).

Here I sit, posting my opinions on the internet, about a game I've never played. :rolleyes:

So to be clear, the lore (of which there is a LOT, this is gun simulator first and Listening To Cultist Tapes Simulator second) explicitly says that the mysterious evil force which has stranded you in an endless building complex full of deadly drones is making you fumble and snag the trigger every single time you try to holster/unholster your gun quickly, and is also making the guns malfunction ridiculously often. It's an acknowledged departure from reality, in the service of making management of your gun a bit more unpredictable and consequential.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Maybe I'm just a little cynical about the transfer of information/habits from video games to real life, but even with the added emphasis on "firearms are dangerous," it's still a game. A game with a conceit that makes you pause, sure, but still a game. I have my doubts whether it could possibly translate to folks actually being educated about weapon safety IRL, especially because of the massive disconnect between doing something on a keyboard and actually using a firearm safely. It might work better as a VR game, because at least then you have similar muscle memory, but I dunno. IMO, you want someone to learn to respect firearms, take them to a range and put some holes through a target. Even better, take them somewhere safe and put some holes in something more substantial than a soda can or a paper target.

That said, I do think there's room for shooters to include that level of 'realism' (depending on the game of course). I mean, I'm still pretty happy if a game disables, or at least gives me the option to disable, automatic reloading. I know at least one of the many Stalker mods also had a feature that required hitting reload again to clear a jam, which was a nice touch. The Day-Z standalone and several mods for Arma 3 have mechanics that require manually reloading magazines, and manually loading said magazines in the gun, which is another oft-overlooked aspect of firearms, but afaik none of them include having to rack the slide or disable the safety (and certainly nothing about accidentally shooting yourself).

Here I sit, posting my opinions on the internet, about a game I've never played. :rolleyes:
The reload button mashing to unjam a gun was in Far Cry 2 too.
I only have played the first Receiver (and I admit I reinstalled it yesterday after reading this topic just to refresh my memory) and effectively even with all the controls there are a lot of things that don't translate for the simple fact that you aren't manipulating the real thing.
It took me a guide to figure out how to put cartridges in the magazines because with the inherent distance put between player and game I didn't figure out that I had to holster the empty gun first before being allowed to fill the magazine, IRL it would just be "I need two hands to do this, better put the gun aside while I put the bullets in the magazine".

And I think it's part of the reason I always played spacesims with a joystick rather than just mouse and keyboard, to me it makes it feel not just more real than wiggling a mouse pretending to be doing space pew pew but more intuitive as well (and it's probably the reason why I never had problems with Elite Dangerous' controls). VR would probably help a bit but I think it's the disconnect between the keyboard and what you effectively see on screen that makes the game fiddly, half the stuff you need the controls for would probably be done almost without thinking beyond "need to empty the chamber and put the safety on" while in the game you need to think of the buttons and associate the button with the action rather than pull the slider and push the safety, with motion controls you'd probably still need to look at the gun because of the lack of tactile feedback.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:58:36 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I picked this up and it's been rather enjoyable so far. Just noticed my character's reflection in a window. Has anyone else seen this? Weird stuff.

There's a tape about it.

Spoiler:
A tape talks about how extensive military training involves seeing humans not as humans, but as targets. Eventually don't even recognize themselves as humans anymore. They just see a silhoulette target

For me it's a big indicator that this whole "receiver" thing is not very good
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:55:57 am by -Joshua- »