0 (0%)
9 (12%)
XP
30 (40%)
Other!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 26, 2002, 01:21:45 pm

Author Topic: What OS do I play Freespace 2 on?  (Read 6185 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
What OS do I play Freespace 2 on?
Originally posted by Pegasus V
The following are really buggy OS's:
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows Me
The following are good OS's:
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 98SE
  • Windows XP
All MAC OS's are crap. I hate MACs. :doubt: I have to work with them all day... :mad2: [/B]

No. Windows 2000 is far from a buggy OS; I can't stand to use ME because it's so buggy compared to 2000. For example, you can repeatedly crash a program on Windows 2000, but if you do that even once on ME, the whole system will likely crash as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2002, 09:51:32 am by 374 »
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
ME works okay for me actually; other than the occasional crash, it seems to be fine, and of course, it loads up completely in under 20 seconds. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The following are really buggy OS's:
  • Anything by microsoft
The following are good OS's:
  • An OS by almost anyone else
[/B]

Think that puts it far better. Shame on you pegasus for daring to call ANY version of windows good.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
Win98, and i have never really had any problems with it.  When i upgrade my comp i will be upgrading to XP, even though my win98 has worked so well for me.
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
XP ALL THE WAY BABY YEAH!

:p

yeah xp works fine for me  :)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
XP, 98SE and 2000 are among the best MS OS's out there.  Win95 was a stability joke and ME was 98 with a ton of bricks on its back.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Dumb question (that I may have posted before already, I can't remember :o)  I am building a new system (slowly -- piece by piece as I am allowed to divert funds from my wife), gonna be a not-quite top of the line, probably AthlonXP 1800; GF3 or GF4, bla bla bla.

What OS should I put on it?  I expect I will be running Freespace (FS:TGW, FS2, and fs2_open), trueSpace4, and MSVC6, maybe other stuff occasionally.

Can you even buy anything other than XP if you're building your own?

I have Win98 on my other box -- how the hell do I know if it's "98SE" or not?  System info says "Microsoft Windows 98 / 4.10.1998"

Keep in mind that I am a Windows idiot :blah: but a Linux guru ;7
your source code slave

Offline RandomTiger

XP takes up a lot of power but its stable, very easy to install.
FS2 works OK on mine, although apartently some peole have had problems. MSVC works just fine as well.

Games seem to run as fast as they did on 98.
Its probably difficult to find anything other than XP to buy.

Offline Kitsune

You CAN buy other versions of windows.
God knows that's where I picked up my copy of it.  They're OEM's but unlike game oems these actually work just fine.

Just go find a "mom & pop" computer store and check them out.

Otherwise go online and do a couple searches.

If they ask for more than $100 us then keep looking.  (That's what everything sells for except NT/2k)
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

XP sucks, it came on my system(ugh...but its pretty powerful) and somehow a few of its core files were deleted so i tried do a system restore(i did one on a 98 system and it worked fine)...oh my god...it gave me one option: non-destructive restore, so im thinkin "ok, cool just what i want."  Well...i finish and boot back into windows.  Non destructive my ass!!  all 16 gigs of **** that i DLed over 6 months was still there just the system didn't recognize that it even existed.  I've tried everything from dos to hacking and nothing is working.  The backup I made just before is dead(blame my cat).  But its all good im getting 2000 Pro this week...
Can the reason that we fear the unknown be that we know ourselves too well?       -The Outer Limits

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
2000 should be able to run FS2 and co., as well as Visual C++ 6. Not sure about Truespace 4, but Truespace 1 ran on my 2K comp :D
-C

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by demon442
XP sucks, it came on my system(ugh...but its pretty powerful) and somehow a few of its core files were deleted so i tried do a system restore(i did one on a 98 system and it worked fine)...oh my god...it gave me one option: non-destructive restore, so im thinkin "ok, cool just what i want."  Well...i finish and boot back into windows.  Non destructive my ass!!  all 16 gigs of **** that i DLed over 6 months was still there just the system didn't recognize that it even existed.  I've tried everything from dos to hacking and nothing is working.  The backup I made just before is dead(blame my cat).  But its all good im getting 2000 Pro this week...

mmh? For me, uninstalling XP brought 98SE back, with my old icons at the same place and everything. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was so cool.
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by demon442
XP sucks, it came on my system(ugh...but its pretty powerful) and somehow a few of its core files were deleted

I think you need to find out how those system files where deleted. You cant expect an OS to function without its most important files.

I also find it unlikely that XP did it to itself, if we were talking about 95 I could totally believe it.

Is your hardware all OK, could you have been hacked even?

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Found Win98SE a few places on the net, probably gonna go w/ that for the new box.

Too much spyware and other baggage w/ XP for my liking...
your source code slave

Offline RandomTiger

k. You might want to check out 98's max memory and stuff like that. Its either 128 or 256 (correct me if Im wrong), any more than that and it it does still owkr but it doesnt really make much most of it. You really have to match your OS to your specs. If you get it wrong you're wasting your power.

I have a P3 450! And a geforce 4 Ti to make up for that and I would never go back.

Offline Kazashi

Originally posted by RandomTiger
k. You might want to check out 98's max memory and stuff like that. Its either 128 or 256 (correct me if Im wrong), any more than that and it it does still owkr but it doesnt really make much most of it. You really have to match your OS to your specs. If you get it wrong you're wasting your power.

Win9x has issues handling more than 512 MB memory, with freezing and crashing and those not so nice things. You can tell it to use a max of 512MB though, leaving the rest untouched, and Win9x as (un)stable as it usually is.
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Kazashi

I'd have to disagree with Win2k being a buggy OS. If anything, I'd have to say that WinXP is buggier - I've had more compatability problems with it than Win2k, probably because whereas Win2k flatout rejects an incompatible program, XP tries to accomodate it, even if it won't actually work.

Having said that, I haven't had any problems running FS1/FS2 on either Win2k or WinXP. But my personal system uses Win2k, with no plans to change.

Having used both 2k and XP, I'd say 2k is the better of the two.  I haven't had any issues with gaming in 2k other than one or two that can't read the 2k/xp version of DirectX. (namely Rouge Squadron and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter)  I haven't tested those games under XP so I dunno if they'll work or not.  FS1 and FS2 work fine under both.

XP is an OK OS, but unless SP1 shows some major improvements I'm going back to 2k.  The only thing I *really* like is the native skinning ability, but you have to obtain a "fixed" dll to enable it beyond Luna.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Subject of the first post in the thread...

What, are we supposed to guess? ;) How would we know?  Good thing you titled the poll itself correctly.

But seriously, I run Win98SE and love it.  I keep it optimized, reformat every eight months (which I have down to a fine art now) and have very few problems with it.

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
From my experience, XP is the most stable system out there. Rumour is though that upgrading from an old system to XP is a no-no for FS2, but you might want to check around with that. I have no idea since I switched from a computer that had 98 SE on it to a Dell with XP and I'm quite happy with it. :)

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
Went from 98 to XP and FS2 runs perfectly. In fact the only real issue I have is that my 56k modem doesn't work anymore but screw that as I already have an ADSL connection.