Author Topic: Disney-era Star Wars might get reset?  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Disney-era Star Wars might get reset?
Sorry for screaming but:

STOP LINKING BULL****

They kept the prequels in continuity even with all the vitriol thrown at them, the actors that starred in it and Lucas himself, they have no reason not to just wait out a few years and keep the sequels.

And the "pretty reliable" guy has posted countless bull**** over the years, that he got something right doesn't make him credible.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You're free to hope too, I guess? I thought Solo was OK, liked TFA in the theatre, and Rogue One is legitimately my favourite Star Wars movie. I found basically nothing to like in TLJ, and very little in Rise. Largely those are story problems, but also filmmaking problems; I think the ship design and to a lesser extent the creature design have both been very patchy in the new movies. Some of my biggestbproblems though are sticking within the established rules of the universe and telling a coherent story from movie to movie, which kind of float between both.

So yeah, we can hope. What I am hoping for is a Star Wars universe that hasn't been written into a boring and frankly nonsensical dead end after Endor. For a filmmaking ethos that values the things I and millions of others have valued in Star Wars for twenty or thirty years now. And for character arcs that make sense even when different filmmakers are handling the characters.

Disney haven't universallyade trash. As I said, Rogue One is great, Solo is okay. But if you honestly think that the Mandalorian and the Siege of Mandalore arc on Clone Wars are "bland extruded Star Wars product", then maybe it's not the franchise for you?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

And the source for all that? A person going by the handle "Doomcock Overlord"...

Surely you jest.

*clicks link*

:wakka:

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
As far as I'm concerned any fandom that thinks [...] the plot hooks in TFA were ever going to pan out [...]

I'd say these people simply don't know J.J. Abrams, or his breakout project LOST :P
Potato!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
As far as I'm concerned any fandom that thinks [...] the plot hooks in TFA were ever going to pan out [...]

I'd say these people simply don't know J.J. Abrams, or his breakout project LOST :P

Abrams is a TV series guy at heart and as such thinks he can hint at mysteries and then have plenty of time to make up explanantions that make sense in the course of the series.
You cannot do that in a series of three two-hour movies.
There was no way to make up a simple explanation of why Luke wasn't there in the time of need while at the same time keeping his character saintly pure so Johnson went with the dark side relapse and sense of guilt coming from that because it's a simple explanation. Just look at that mess of the return of the Emperor, even if I disagree with the basic idea itself it's the kind of thing that could have worked with an entire TV series season worth of teasing and foreshadowing but when you drop a bomb like that out of nowhere in the first ten minutes of a movie it just doesn't work and Abrams doesn't understand that.
There is a similar case with the convoluted time travel plot of his Star Trek movie and like Palpy's return is both a uselessly convoluted plot device and an attempt to push nostalgia buttons by having an actor of the franchise original installments on screen.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Luis Dias

*opens up thread, reads first post, thinks "This is coming from someone on Midnight's Edge or some friends of theirs right"

* opens link, sees "Doomcock" in the text

* shuts down everything, his worldview confirmed as the predictable **** it has always been

e: Having read the thread, I have to both agree with The_E and Mongoose about what the fandom really wants, but goddamn it would be so simple. Just have someone like Lucas write the "worldbuilding" part of the story, something he actually did alright in the prequels (and probably why the spinoffs like Clone Wars and Rebels are so goddamed good, there was some template onto which they could write stuff), and then ask some of these sequel folks how to write interesting characters, and then get some actual good writer that actually writes good arcs for those characters.

I know, I know, I may be basically pitching for that "dreaded" Rian Johnson trilogy never to be made, but that ain't my fault!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:51:21 pm by Luis Dias »

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I think one major reason why the sequel trilogy (and especially TRoS) was so unsatisfying for me was because of the decision to let each of the three individual directors of each movie has full creative control of their respective movies without even bothering to make a full outline of the plot of the whole trilogy. Seriously? You're going to set out to tell an epic story encompassing three movies each costing hundreds of millions of dollars (to say nothing of the marketing costs), hundreds of thousands of man-hours by the cast and crew, and betting the reactions of a fanbase consisting or literally millions of people and trust the plot of this story to the method of chain-mail writing?

That is completely absurd.

The only stuff I've seen of J.J. Abrams is the 2009 Star Trek, TFA, and TRoS, all of which had severe storytelling flaws that could have and (in the case of TRoS) did ruin their stories for me. I haven't seen any of his other works, but what I did see decidedly did not impress me as to his storytelling skills. I left the theater disappointed in TFA, because I thought it was too much of a rehash of A New Hope. Though I do have to admit that after repeated viewings of TFA at home, it began to grow on me. TLJ had its issues, but I honestly thought it was a better story than TFA simply because it refused to be a rehash of The Empire Strikes Back. Say what you will about TLJ, but at least it seemed like a fresh story, especially with the theme that it's your actions, not your bloodline, that define who you are. But TRoS seemed like a fundamental F-U from Abrams to Johnson from the scene where we see First Order TIE fighters hyperspace-skipping after the Millenium Falcon (something that TLJ established could only be done by large Star Destroyer-sized ships because of the bulky computing power needed for the tracking machines), to retconning Rey being a "nobody" and instead making her Palpatine's granddaughter (and thus begging the question of whether Palpatine doinked some random woman to get her pregnant with his son before or after (*shudder*) he got his face melted by Mace Windu), and all the way to the climax of the movie where Rey managed to defeat Palpatine's Force Lightning, something that Windu couldn't manage without getting thrown through a hundred-story window, simply because she had an extra lightsaber.

So that's the culmination of the Star Wars Saga: "If you want to take on a Sith Lord and win, make sure you have a backup weapon"? That's something that virtually every gamer learns from their first RPG session! That's hardly the stuff of epics.

As for whether or not the sequel trilogy get "decanonized" or whatever, the whole thing strikes me as utterly irrelevant. The movies are out there now. They're made and can't be unmade. Even if "Overlord Doomcock" (gawds, only someone as pathetic and misogynistic as an incel could give himself such a nickname) or whoever manages to get Disney to somehow "decanonize" the ST, all it will effectively do is start a bunch of useless flame wars arguing about "head canon" and which Star Wars stories do and do not (or should and should not) qualify as "official canon." I've always found such arguments as useless and pointless. And even if the ST is decanonized, what then? It's not like Disney is going to set out to somehow retell the "real" ending of the Skywalker Saga. Carrie Fisher is dead so Princess Leia is not going to appear in any future Star Wars stories. I don't know about Harrison Ford reprising his role as Han Solo after TRoS had him appear as...what? A (non-Force) ghost? A hallucination? A guilt-induced delusion that could be seen only by Kylo Ren? From what I can see, it would just be too impractical for a number of reasons for any retelling and/or retcon of the Sequel Trilogy. There's no way to Verbal Backspace the Sequel Trilogy; it's out now and will always be there.

As for the Rian Johnson trilogy, if it ever does come out, at least it will have only one person at the helm and can at least have the benefit of a single author creating its plot, instead of the cluster f*ck of having multiple authors f*cking it up by not even outlining the story.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The only stuff I've seen of J.J. Abrams is the 2009 Star Trek, TFA, and TRoS, all of which had severe storytelling flaws that could have and (in the case of TRoS) did ruin their stories for me. I haven't seen any of his other works, but what I did see decidedly did not impress me as to his storytelling skills.

Pretty OT, but Mission: Impossible III was awesome. Granted, I've always held that a great movie needs a great antagonist, and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman had what it took in spades. But still...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill