RELEASE: MediaVPs 4.3 - 1st of August 2020Discussion Thread Located Here!
Step 1: Ensure you have a working installation of Freespace 2
The MediaVPs require a working installation of retail Freespace 2. If you do not have the retail Freespace 2, it can be purchased from Good Old Games
for ~$6-10 USD
Step 2: Download the 4.3 MediaVPs themselves![DOWNLOAD] - Use Knossos:
Click below to get started. The latest revision is 4.3.x.
If you want to manually install individual packages, you'll need to write your own mod.ini and create the MediaVPs_43X folder in your FSO directory. Then use the link above and click "No, but I know exactly what I'm doing and I just want download links
" and install those packages into the MediaVPs_43X folder. This method is not recommended.
Manual Installs: Get the latest SCP Build and LauncherMediaVPs 4.3.x requires an FSO build 19.0 or greater!
- Current Required Build is fs2_open 19.0
- Launchers, if you don't have one already:
- All platforms: Knossos (combined launcher/installer/mod store) This is the recommended method. See Step 2.
- All platforms: wxLauncher
- Both the fs2_open exe and Launcher exe should be placed in your root Freespace2 install folder. ie: "C:\Games\FreeSpace2"
- Note that this is a HIGHLY recommended place to put your FreeSpace2 files, especially on Vista/Win7.
Play and enjoy! Also, please report any bugs you come across to the FSU Mantis!
- It's a good idea at this point to also copy fs2_open DEBUG exe into your root Freespace2 install folder in case you later on encounter problems you need to ask about on the forums. This is because the debug builds will create the all important "fs2_open.log" file in "user\appdata\HardLightProductions\FreeSpace2\data" that should always be included in such posts. For more information, please check (all posts!) in The Freespace Troubleshooting FAQ thread in the Freespace and Freespace Open Support Forum
- Hi-poly Pegasus
- Hi-poly Elysium
- Hi-poly Orion - This includes both and FS1 and FS2 version of the model
- Hi-poly Azrael
- Hi-poly Demon
- Hi-poly Ravana
- New HD Cutscenes, Monologues 1-4 and Bastion
- More weapon effects from Kestrellius - Akheton, Morningstar, Prometheus R and adjust previously included effects
- Updated SunSathanas effect
- Several bugfixes
- Add some missing textures to MV_Compatibility
- Lots of asset cleanup
Fix minor issues with ML-16Notes for Mods
Fix Sathanas MOI
Fill in Myrmidon glows on wingtips
Restore shields to Hygiea and Nepthys to match retail
Fix Ma'at shield mesh to match retail
Delete old models - Hygeia, Cargo03, BeamSaber, Cruiser01, Cruiser01x, Miner2T-01
Rename Cain POF
Rename Lilith POF
Rename Hercules2 POF
Set Shivans to use Shivan missiles in SM2-10
Add FS1 Ships and weapons to the flashy scripts
Fix Perseus dock path
Remake all Orion Nameplates
Make Vasudan duplicate PVF/GVF entries consistent across all packages
Fix stats for weapons with area-effect damage
Adjust Aeolus paths to be sequential
Adjusted Fenris maps to be painted metal instead of reflective metal
Massive cleanup of unused textures - most moved to MV_Compatibility: Complete list is too long to post here
Fix Sathanas Engine data
Updated SunSathanas effect
Fix name for anim 2_cb_sm1_01b
New HD Cutscenes, Monologues 1-4 and Bastion
More weapon effects from Kestrellius - Akheton, Morningstar, Prometheus R and adjust previously included effects
Fix incorrect mass/MOI on Hercules, Sathanas, Hercules2, Ganymede, Medusa, Poseidon, Rahu, Hippocrates, Mjolnir, Moloch, Apollo, Valkyrie, Amun, Bast
Split MV_Assets_S into MV_Assets_S and MV_Assets_S_Maps1 and MV_Assets_S_Maps2
Split MV_Assets_T_Maps into MV_Assets_T_Maps1, MV_Assets_T_Maps2, MV_Assets_T_Maps3 and MV_Assets_T_Maps4
Split MV_Assets_V into MV_Assets_V and MV_Assets_V_Maps1
Split MV_Advanced into MV_Advanced1, MV_Advanced2, MV_Advanced3, and MV_Advanced4
--The Orion has two POFs: Orion_FS2.pof and Orion_FS1.pof. The FS1 version has the beam turrets replaced with blob turrets. The base Orion ship uses Orion_FS2.pof while Orion (Bastion) uses Orion_FS1.pof. The nameplates are no longer actual textures like the old Orion. Instead they match the more conventional nameplate texture method. Instead of replacing texture capital01-05
, you'll need to replace texture nameplate
. Capital01-05 has been retired. We have included as many Orion nameplates as we could remember existed.
--This release marked a major cleanup of unused textures and POFs. You may find many tiles missing. All should be available in MV_Compatibility. Some POFs were renamed to match our newer naming scheme. You may need to check your tables in those cases and just point to the new POF name. Please note also that we are working towards not including MV_Compatibility as a package that releases with FSU in the future. Now would be a good time to begin adding the tiles you need to your modpacks.
--We noticed that the support ships actually had shields in retail, so we added them back in. Check your mod for balance issues.Older Release post for 3.6.10 Here
Older Release post for 3.6.12 Here
Older Release post for 3.7.2 Here
Older Release post for 3.8.x Here
Older Release post for 4.0.x Here
Older Release post for 4.1.x Here
Older Release post for 4.2.x Here