Author Topic: Vasudan Speak  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Hi All!

I’m working on a Vasudan focused campaign and I would like to make the Vasudan speech patterns a little more distinct from that of us Humans. Is there a ‘Vasudan Speak reference bible’ or something similar anywhere? I hear there was a ARG called Phoenix which may have had something like this but I haven’t be able to find any details about it. Anyone have any more info or a link I can look at?

I hear Blaise Russel  / Lt. D may have created something like this for his Vasudan focused campaigns such as Shrouding The Light, but, in truth, I’m going off old second or third hand info. If anyone knows more please let me know.

Sa Vasuda!
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
You could take a look at Scroll of Ataka- Atka-.... ... Scrolls Part 1, to get a good idea of what they could be like. Of course, it's all fanon speculation but I think it's an interesting perspective nonetheless.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
* Colonol Dekker puts his joking hat on.

Propogating Zod culture....... Barbaric.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I think someone went to the trouble of making up a full Vasudan alphabet for ST:R, so that's probably floating around somewhere, if you want to reference it. But really, canon Vasudan speech isn't all that different from normal human speech; they just tend to be a little more stiff and formal in their delivery. Scroll (and a handful of places in canon, like Operation Templar) emphasizes the honor-related aspects of their culture, so they come off sounding like Klingons.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Would this be useful?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It's worth saying that the above mentioned campaign mixes Vasudan speech as perceived from the perspective of a Terran with more "regular" Vasudan speech between individuals of the same species. The player's Terran but gets stay onboard a Typhon destroyer for a while.

In case you're wondering, it's The Spirit of Ptah:)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You may want to use these if you're making any Vasudan audio files:
http://fsport.hard-light.net/extras/vasudantalk.zip
http://fsport.hard-light.net/extras/snippets.zip

Here is all we know about canonical Vasudan speech:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=48316.0

Offline Luis Dias

Was this language really developed and we just don't have access to most of it, or merely some very tiny parts of it were developed, enough to make the game, etc.?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It was developed to the extent that a lot of Vasudan vocabulary was created, but we don't know how much.  It was more than a tiny part, but probably much less than other created languages (e.g. Klingon).

We know that there were extra vocabulary words beyond that simple email; reference the Vasudan countdown from 10 to 1 in "A Flaming Sword".  But we also know that English was used occasionally; CP5670 found "you're a thief" in one of the Vasudan failure debriefings.