Author Topic: Latest Recommended SCP Version for the Basics  (Read 913 times)

Offline AV8R

Latest Recommended SCP Version for the Basics

Basics = FSOpen, FSPort and ST:R. It seems there have been a lot of major overhauls in both the SCP's EXE as well as the MediaVPs as of late so my concern was if the latest MediaVPs still worked with v19 - or do they? Asking for a friend.   :P

That being said, any word on the possible timeline for the next round of official Release Candidates?

Re: Latest Recommended SCP Version for the Basics
They kind of do but my understanding is that playing any other decently sized mod that depends on them will crash due to hitting an engine limit. We're in an awkward situation right now where the MediaVPs and consequently almost all mods default to using nightlies in Knossos, which works OK but there are sometimes weird bugs that slip into the nightly builds. Current plans are to start the process for the next release in the next month, so there should be new RCs fairly soon.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AV8R

Yes, I've seen quite a few posts of people getting "Out of memory" errors and crashes to desktop usually due to some other memory constraints. It seems FSO may be "reaching the zenith", so to speak, with its 32-bit (x86) code and the coders may at some point have to make a decision on whether they want to continue trying to make FSO work (fit) into a 32-bit environment when their effort is better spent pursuing FSO 64-bit as the sole growth path moving forward (well, for those who want to continue to get all of the newest features, hi-poly models and other effects anyway).

Once you reach a certain point with the size of these files (some of which are pretty darn big) and all of the data they contain, eventually it simply won't fit into the 4GB of space of a 32-bit OS anymore. As much as I hate to say it, at some point either a branching solution for FSO will have to be developed or, if that's too much work to keep track of, then a single pathway to the 64-bit realm may be the only other option.

If branching is selected, there would probably have to be rules such as:

32-bit versions no longer get MediaVP updates (adding any more new models to the MediaVPs will no longer fit into the x86 memory space). The only thing that gets updated on the 32-bit side is the EXE (bug fixes, performance enhancements and non-memory-intensive feature enhancements - but no other new features).

64-bit version continues as normal, since it gives developers the freedom to continue to build within its vast boundaries (within reason, of course - I mean sure, someone could build a ridiculously detailed 8GB Sathanas Juggernaut, but why?)  ;)

I appreciate the info and the reply, though. Be well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:09:38 am by AV8R »

FSO has had 64-bit Windows builds for a long time; the recent spate of "out of memory" errors seems to be some kind of hard-to-pin-down driver bug, possibly on AMD cards, rather than a simple problem with FSO itself. You should be able to check yourself if you're running 64-bit Windows builds; I believe Knossos should select them left to its own devices.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AV8R

I do one better and I have Knossos download whatever nightly I choose, then go to the folder where the nightly was downloaded, delete the x86 folder and then edit the mod.json file to remove all mention of the x86 folder and its file list.

It was a little tricky at first to know exactly what to delete out of the json file without breaking it or causing load errors when starting that particular nightly version when launching it from Knososs - but now that I have the json file editing down to a science, it ensures that when I run any mod from Knossos I'm only running them using the 64-bit EXEs.  :nod:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:27:38 am by AV8R »