Author Topic: Is this intended?  (Read 673 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm playing Mission 4 after the update and I just want to be sure the changes I'm experiencing are because I'm replaying the mission.
-All the waypoints are gone from the first jump point.
-All the great atmospheric dialogue with the Guardian is gone at the second jump point, it's already under attack and yelling about an FTL failure. It goes straight to launching escape shuttles.

If these changes are meant to only occur on replays, well, okay. It's not as good as a checkpoint but it's there.

If these changes are present on the first run through of the mission I think the mission's basically been gutted. All the great storytelling and atmosphere is gone, the presentation is a shell of what it was.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The HUD updates are super nice though. Replaying from the start now.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The extra ammo is also appreciated! Really felt like I had enough to get through all those tankers without bullet-pinching.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, I finished replaying it. Bummed to see that both Mission 3 and 4 are truncated even on first play. The flyin to the Guardian with the tense com chatter was one of my favorite parts, and now it's gone; so is the intense cinematic battle around the Guardian.

I don't really understand your decisions here. You clearly have the missions set up in clean, distinct stages. All the parts that are annoying to do over and over again on a replay are separated from the combat sections by a jump. Your missions seem to ALREADY have clear checkpoints; you're just not letting the player use them.

Why not, after completing the second stage of mission 3 and 4, simply unlock the option for the player to go straight to the third stage on replays? This wouldn't even require fancy scripting, aside from giving the player the choice.

This would let you preserve the great initial presentation of the minefield/waypoint sequences AND the intensity of the combat.

I haven't cranked up the difficulty all the way to the top yet, but I did find the Raiders a little toothless this time around, even on Advanced. They can barely hurt you in 1v1 circling combat.

I feel the wrong message was taken from the feedback here. Hard combat can be really fun! The problem is not dying in combat, it's having to replay tons of downtime—sequences the player has already mastered—to get back to the skill intensive part.

I love so much about this campaign and hope we see a lot more. I really hope you will consider restoring the old missions but simply letting the player cut directly to the combat sequences once they've reached them for the first time. If you want help I feel like I could do this in a day or two.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • I release things
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • Mix-Hai Productions
Just started playing it. Got to the mainhall and have to offer praise. That is some quality creative stuff right there.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes - MjnMixael's Render Boutique
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes I can't repeat enough that the presentation is S-tier. Everything is on ****ing point.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Okay, I finished replaying it. Bummed to see that both Mission 3 and 4 are truncated even on first play. The flyin to the Guardian with the tense com chatter was one of my favorite parts, and now it's gone; so is the intense cinematic battle around the Guardian.

I don't really understand your decisions here. You clearly have the missions set up in clean, distinct stages. All the parts that are annoying to do over and over again on a replay are separated from the combat sections by a jump. Your missions seem to ALREADY have clear checkpoints; you're just not letting the player use them.

Why not, after completing the second stage of mission 3 and 4, simply unlock the option for the player to go straight to the third stage on replays? This wouldn't even require fancy scripting, aside from giving the player the choice.

This would let you preserve the great initial presentation of the minefield/waypoint sequences AND the intensity of the combat.

I haven't cranked up the difficulty all the way to the top yet, but I did find the Raiders a little toothless this time around, even on Advanced. They can barely hurt you in 1v1 circling combat.

I feel the wrong message was taken from the feedback here. Hard combat can be really fun! The problem is not dying in combat, it's having to replay tons of downtime—sequences the player has already mastered—to get back to the skill intensive part.

I love so much about this campaign and hope we see a lot more. I really hope you will consider restoring the old missions but simply letting the player cut directly to the combat sequences once they've reached them for the first time. If you want help I feel like I could do this in a day or two.
This. I fully feel that some of the commentary wasn't super tactful on release, and I get that (but also, this is the internet and you're always going to get people behaving more abrasively than they ordinarily would) - but the consistent themes throughout almost all of the feedback centre around the gorgeousness of the UI, the overall presentation, authentic BSG vibe, and the thoroughly great time that gameplay during the dogfights is. I understand especially if this was a one person band that receiving some of the more pointed feedback probably wasn't very nice to read, but to echo the sentiment above, the mod is ****ing awesome, and this issue about checkpoints has been blown significantly out of proportion. It's certainly not worth sacrificing a lot of your great creative work wholesale to try and shoehorn some gentler playability into the mod.

You did a great job here and I sincerely hope the reception hasn't turned you off and you continue to produce some amazing BSG content.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hello? Anyone alive in here?

If the dev is gone, does anyone have the original release missions so we can add a couple checkpoints? This campaign should be preserved, it's excellent.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I still have the original 1.0.5 release that was put on Knossos, and all the versions in between.
Let there be light
Let there be moon
Let there be stars and let there be you
Let there be monsters and let there be pain
Let us begin to feel again
--Devin Townsend, Genesis

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, if the dev doesn't protest in the next couple days I'd like to take a spin at adding basic checkpoints.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker
    • My old squad sub-domain
This is my first go at adversary, it looks amazing but reading what General B said in his first post, it sounds like I'm missing out on some dialogue with the esxort carrier as its only fleeting from what I've seen on my only playthrough.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I took a stab at putting a checkpoint in M3 today. The mission is very cleanly set up, and this would've been an easy job if I'd just been able to work in FRED, but unfortunately I wasted so much time on Knossos problems and lua bull**** that I didn't finish the job. I'll try again when my frustration levels are much, much lower.

Reminded me how much fun this mod is to play, though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I have implemented a checkpoint in M3! Once you have reached the big raider fight at the end, you can choose to start the mission right there (it saves your ammo and health state from the mine sequence beforehand).

I'll do M4 next, really excited about that.

Still trying to contact the Adversary guy...

Offline pim

Yes, try to contact him. This campaign is really amazing and it would be sad to discourage Adversary from staying within this community due to miscommunication. I also feel that nobody there was offensive and all the reponses were if not supportive so at least just technical advices. Maybe he took it wrong, maybe he's just not talkative. Who knows.
This campaign indeed did not need any more polishing except checkpoints. Good luck with your efforts (both with contacting Adversary and with adding checkpoints).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I shot them a PM but haven't heard back yet :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I have the checkpoint at the start of the Guardian sequence in M4 done, just need to do one at the start of the final attack. Boy these Raiders really **** you up.