Poll

Do you think Volition and THQ will buy back Freespace (read below before voting!)

Yes, I sure hope so
33 (45.8%)
Maby
19 (26.4%)
nope
20 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 16, 2002, 03:08:19 pm

Author Topic: There is still hope for official Freespace 3!  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Jake101

There is still hope for official Freespace 3!
Aldo!   Shame on you!  You're one of the finest in this community, and you claim that no one would recognize the universe?  Who cares?!  Do you have any idea what the possibilities are in the immersion of a game with an audience?

There are tons of people who have played sequels to games but had no idea what the first was like, and the sequels excelled further than the originals.  Why?  Storyline development and beginning player immersion.

Take a look at the amazingly popular series.  Metroid, Zelda, EVEN Freespace 2, there's many who played that first, before the original.

The community for Total Annihilation was not always that big.  At the time they began fighting for a sequel, they had to grow to fight it.  That's something we can all do as well.  

[V] doesn't have to make a sequel, they can make a prequel.  They don't have to make it EXTENDING clearly off of everything.  Take a look at Star Trek.  Do you really think everyone who watched Voyager, DS9, TNG, and the original show really knew about ALL of it?   They don't have to know what came before.

In fact, Freespace 2, I felt, veered away from the original almost too much.  It is possible, believe me, to make an excellent sequel that everyone can look into.  They can also remake the stories, port the campaigns, and tell the entire thing throughout records and documents.  IMMERSION.  

The more the player wants to find out, the more there will be for the player to discover and explore.  It's only more of a building base.
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Jake101
Aldo!   Shame on you!  You're one of the finest in this community, and you claim that no one would recognize the universe?  Who cares?!  Do you have any idea what the possibilities are in the immersion of a game with an audience?

There are tons of people who have played sequels to games but had no idea what the first was like, and the sequels excelled further than the originals.  Why?  Storyline development and beginning player immersion.

Fs2 is clearly intended to be followed on - the ending is pretty much an open invitation for a sequel - that means that a proper sequel would have to refer to and follow on from the evnts of Capella to really tie in with it... that in itself could be very tough to do.

And if :V: were going to follow on, the existing community would expect the story to be concluded.

My main point was that the FS unvierse isn't that valuable as a 'brand' - thus THQ are unlikely to want to buy it for anything more than a nominal fee.  I don't want to sound defeatist, but it's true....

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Originally posted by Jake101
You people are sad.  If this entire community wants it, they'll get it.  If FS3 is developed as good as it is, THQ will get smart and advertise the living hell out of it.  Hell, V should team up with Microsoft. Microsoft treats their developers good.  Even though I hate Microsoft, it's something I have to give them credit for.

Just look at how successful Dungeon Siege is.  It reached the top 5 within the first two months of being released.  Freespace 2, just as many have said before, had a bad marketing job done on it.  The original FreeSpace was a decent success.  If it wasn't, I never would have bought it.  I would have bought Freespace 2 sooner, but I didn't have the money.  If they could advertise Freespace 3 as much as they do something like Half Life, Age of Empires, or even that half assed game called Starcraft, they'd make a ****load of money, and make way for FS4.

There is still hope for the series, you negative jackasses.  Just look at the community for Total Annihilation.  They fought like hell to get a sequel to their game, and THEY GOT IT.  If ALL of the fans want it, they'll get it, and then some.

Stop being so damn negative, and fight for it!

It's still not too late.  Total Annihilation 2 is now going to be made after the community for it fought it ever since 1997!  Freespace 3 should be no different.

Whos going to listen to less then 100 potential buyers? How is V or THQ going to hook up with microsoft?

Your putting fs3 with the likes of Halflife, AOE and Starcraft? Do you know what your talking about?

Its nice to have your go get em attitude but until FS garners over 500 people for support and then that support is turned into a petition we wont be heard. Whos going to spend money on a dying product? Its like buying the rights to Nightmare On Elm Street, you'll spend more money making and buying it then making money on the damn thing. Would you make such a stupid business decision?

If you do remind me not to work for you.

A new series is far more likely in honor of FS then another FS sequel. Its sad, its unjust but thats the way life is, so learn to live with it. Their will not be an FS3, accept it. As for the jackass crack, I would look at your statements before saying anything like that, your argument has no base, nor any logic. You my friend are a jackass for putting FS in the neighbiourhood with games like Halflife.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Actually, when you talk about advertising - I've never seen a PC game advertised in the same mass-media way as a console game.... which pretty much restricts the market whoe knows oif the game pre-release to those who buy the games magazine you advertise in.... and seeing as Pc mags are generally vastly overpriced (£5 for 100-ish page mag and a bunch of demos you may never want to play...) many people will never hear of it.  The sucees of Half Life, and Championship Manager is partly due to word of mouth.

Besides which, I bet Interplay would sell the Fs licence (due to their current problems and the general slump in that whole genre, etc) - but have THQ asked them?  I mean, THQ don't seem too much of a risk taker when it comes to original games (i.e. not Wrestling or brand name licensed...)

That said, I remeber when I had a SNEs, and every single THQ game that came out got sub-20% marks in reviews :D

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
I think THQ are nervous about space combat. Their last offering, X-Beyond the Frontier got a lukewarm reception, even though in the UK, PCZ praised it, PCG slaughtered it (they only played it for about four hours, PCZ played it all week, and then some). They may feel (and rightly so) that Space Combat is not a very popular genre - and it's hard to get right.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
You'd think that people would either just drop the subject altogether, or just tell Volition to get their asses in gear and pay the money. As has been said, Interplay need the cash, so they'd sell for peanuts. All I can say is that I hope it happens, but I'm not expecting anything any time soon. Pester them enough, and they'll do it, but it will take time.:confused:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

1.) As for interplay "Let them die, Let them ALL die." That way that bogus slogan "by gamers for gamers" can be reclaimed by people who actually mean it.

2.) I feel bad for volition now that I understand their position (misdirected anger is a terrible thing, my apologies if any are watching).

3.) WE as a community don't have to buy any crap just because it is on the market... When they realise no one is buying it they lose $ If they make FS3 and totally hose it I WILL NOT BUY IT! I will try the demo first or immediately return it to the store in disgust in the worst case senario. As for them maingit into a platform game (PS2 or whatever) I decided to get a NEW computer at twice the cost of old X box since it can't come close to the performance I now get :cool: Anyway een if volition goes ahead with FS3 we need to maintain the source code project despite any handicaps (age of the engine, ect) because if we the gamers really want something then WE have to do it ourselves...

For me it started back in O say around 1984 or '85. We were discussing Star Wars Vs. Star Trek and it always seemed like that would be a cool game. Lo and behold no one has ever produced it though I am sure the fan base is there(meaning $$$$) but 4 years ago I bought a game called FS1. WOW I deleted X wing Vs. Tie fighter (the standard at the time) from my drive and never looked back! Even now the original kicks X Wing Alliances butt all over the cosmos (are you reading this George? Take notes). More than that I wished Mech1-4 could have been better.... Then later that much delayed travesty Battle Cruiser Millenium that looked like a rip off of the late '80's game Elite (the graphis were very similiar). Of course those stink bombs X and Alligence (Pay for that crap monthly? Only if I was on crack!)... So you got a lot of games that HAD a lot of potential and one REALLY good space simulator (except for Klingon Academy the ONLY other space combat sim I allow on my drive).

Now enter FS2... Double Wow! Discovering the FS modder community and the workable but often difficult FRED2  I discovered I CAN make the games I want to play (and would be willing to pay for). Without going into the legal issues as an individual for non profit I can Throw STAR WARS, STAR TREK or any other licensed thing together into my 'uber mod' they was I always wanted since high school. With the talent and quality I have witnessed here alone at HLP Forums we should not worry if they do not make a new FS... In fact the only thing we need to worry about is if they DO make one... Remember if the parties involved DO NOT listen to the customers and want to end up screwing themselves (are you also watching SCI-FI Channel/Universal/Fox - re-imagined BSG indded! HUMPH, Not on my watch Buddy!) I say let them! We have the power.... let them buy the rights, spend the time, money, and energy developing their CRAP and then when it gets to market is IS exactly what we fear it will be then just DO NOT BUY IT! Power of the purse is the ultimate power and the only one we have. Just remember to spread the work everytime you walk into a game store (I have on occasion). Get involved, Get store owners (and managers) involved. As far as I am concerned FS3 is being created right here right now and will be far superior to meeting my expectations of a top space combat simulator than anything Interplay or any other developer (except maybe volition) could produce. I've rambled enough for now (Sorry!) Woke up with a headache after a weekend of scouring the net for things to improve FS with... Mod on true belivers!!!!
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Of course those stink bombs X
[/B]

There was a few things wrong with X, but it was still a great game. How long did you play it for? Twenty minutes? I don't agree.

However:

(are you also watching SCI-FI Channel/Universal/Fox - re-imagined BSG indded! HUMPH, Not on my watch Buddy!)

THAT I do agree with!! :D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by YodaSean

Yes but I think it has a very powerful video card

GeForce 3.5 i think.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
this is the GODDAMN THIRD TIME this topic has  been bumped. Please, someone close it already.,:mad:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Stunaep
this is the GODDAMN THIRD TIME this topic has  been bumped. Please, someone close it already.,:mad:

With pleasure.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill