Author Topic: Here something handy  (Read 26918 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Here something handy
For those who don't know, Caligari has released trueSpace 3.2 for download and free personal use.  Get it here.

56k users beware, it is a 21 mb file.  Also, registration is required, but it is nothing.  Follow the link in the ReadMe.   Name and E-mail, hit submit and the next screen gives the Reg Code.  

It Free, it works, and its better than GMax:mad:

*update*
Okay, it was brought to my attention that the link was broken.
Here is the updated download.com link

That new link should work, I tested it and it links to the file, I don't know about the registration process.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:07:03 pm by 607 »
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Here something handy (trueSpace 3.2 legal download)
Nice. :)

This version will allow you to make complete models, right?  I peeked into modelling once before, when only version 2 was free, and I think you had to have a later version to make model files.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Yep, I just used it to shave the LODS off of the Raynor in preparation for going into Homeworld.  In 5 minutes flat I might add.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
How DO you shave LODs off a model in trueSpace?

I've got 5.1 I might add.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Raptor

More to the point, how do you MAKE LODS (and other submodels) in Truespace?!?

Only verison 2 here, so I'll be grapping that V3 ASAP (once I clean up my HD to make sure it fits.....)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Hmmm...

Speaking of Truespace, how the hell do you use it? I have to say it's probably the most frustrating and unintuitive program I've ever tried to use.

When you try to do something, e.g. turn a cube into a cuboid, it does something weird. I tried to do just that by dragging one of the faces, but instead of elongating the shape, it stretched it into a sort of reversed-perspective-shaped thingy, that I couldn't then put back to its original shape. It's very confusing and I'm a bit stuck.

There are no help files that come with it, only a bunch of animated video-type "tutorials" that move far too fast and are unpauseable!

Does anyone know any good tutorials for TS?
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
TS=teh suck!!!1

I only use TrueSpace for hierarchy editing, never modeling. If you have other options, don't bother trying to learn as it's really obscure and not much use professionally.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by pyro-manic
Hmmm...

Speaking of Truespace, how the hell do you use it? I have to say it's probably the most frustrating and unintuitive program I've ever tried to use.

i started with 5.0 and i found it intuitive, simple, somehow elegant
i started from zero without having used any 3d prog before, and i never used tutorials..ok i learned only the box modelling tools (i need it only for fs2 modding) and it taked a lot to discover most of the tricks and the uses of most commands (and i'm sure i still have to found many), but i learned the general philosophy in few days just pressing randomly the icons, and this was possible because the icons were exactly where i expected they should be.
Obviously this simplicity implies some disadvantages related to less options or and less powerful tools, but what you have should still be more than enough to make some decent fs2 model.....
I've tried far now max4 and lightwave just for a couple hours, i immediatly noticed the incredible amount, compared to truespace, of possibilities you have, but i had much much more starting problems too (probably because i was already used to TS workflow)

take in mind with TS that you can work at two levels: overall objects and object editing, each level has his own commands (for example a group of commands will pop-up after you enter editing mode)
to switch to editing mode press a select icon (face/vertices/edges) or right click on an object
to switch to object mode, click the icon with the arrow
you can work with general commands (scale move rotate) directly on screen (a toolbox will appear around selected faces/edges/vertices/objects), with a parameter editor (right click on the icon with the arrow) or with specific icons (for a sum of all the icons right click on trashbin icon) and don't forget that many commands parameters can be precisely edited by rightclicking on icons
this is a good part of what you will need to make fs2models, for more infos go to ipandrews' modelling tutorial or search for truespace manuals somewhere
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 03:21:12 pm by 433 »

Offline Mortex

Can you use the Solidify plugin with this version?
Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting.

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by pyro-manic

Does anyone know any good tutorials for TS?

Yahoo rocks:
http://www.tutorgig.com/showurls.jsp?group=4760&index=0
;)

Still using TS1 for the pre-conversion adjustments.
A great prog ! Except for making thruster flames that work. :)

I find the flood of icons confusing and difficult to manage in TS 5.1 compared to the genuine simplicity of TS1.
But no doubt about the superiority of 3DS MAX in modeling and texturing.
Just fly on !

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
TS is very simple. It takes a little time to get used to, especially if you worked in another 3D program like 3D Max.
But it is an excellent program....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
If only it had a Zoom All button! :mad:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
If only it had a Zoom All button! :mad:

???
i use mousewheel to zoom

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think he means the function Lightwave has where it zooms to exactly the amount you need to see the whole model/scene. AFAIK truespace can`t do this you just have to zoom out manually.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
Originally posted by KARMA

???
i use mousewheel to zoom

only in TS5..
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Originally posted by tomcat

only in TS5..

that's a bump, a very useless bump, over a month date devirence, nice. :doubt:
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Meh, it's sticky. :D Doesn't really matter.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
1.5 months late, but so what...
Has anyone proven this copy of Truespace is clean? I got it once, and befre i could use it, my parents killed my HD, possibly a virus... I don't know if it was a virus with TS, or Kazaa... a yes or no will suffice...

--Hippo
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I downloaded it, no viruses.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: 1.5 months late, but so what...
Originally posted by Hippo
Has anyone proven this copy of Truespace is clean? I got it once, and befre i could use it, my parents killed my HD, possibly a virus... I don't know if it was a virus with TS, or Kazaa... a yes or no will suffice...

--Hippo

It's comes from Download.com, so the odds of viruses is next to zero.