Author Topic: decent 3 damage rip off  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
decent 3 damage rip off
I had this idea tonght about riping off the damage effect that D3 had were damaged robots would start to get all warped and wavy, so I quickly wiped up a test of the effect to gather opinion

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_da.zip

just open up the tech room and look at it, the amount of noise can be raised and lowered and in reality it will only applyed during the last 10% of a ships life, and probly only to small ships, and I doubt the nois would be any higher than this, so during the last hit or two this is what any ship will look like
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Weird.

I'm not so sure I like it. Perhaps if the noise was added as the craft was in its death roll... nah, I don't like it. Sorry Bob.

Perhaps you could put this down and work on tidying up your engine trails... shine mapping... and 3D shockwave code..?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
...screenies? :rolleyes:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It has possibilities for other mods and so on - and if you could tone it *right* down then it might be pretty cool for certain weapnons or ships and so on... but I really dread seeing this having total implementation - it's painful!

And one other thing, little bug, I tried it on an Aeolus cruiser. The ship warps but the turrets stay static. Just thought you'd like to know ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I really didn't want to call you an idiot in the poll, but that was the only option for "no"

I felt a seizure coming on from those... And the fenris looked hella-funny.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the only thing you could use this for is when a ship is hit by a shockwave. Else it only looks weird :doubt:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Someone post some screenies! We can't all use FSO you know.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK - I take it back - after much fiddling about I did get this build to run at least as far as the tech room. I will not be doing that again.

Oh, and the effect wouldn't translate well to screenshots. Imagine the ships going all wavyy and wobbly... sort of... bleh.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
doing this on a per vertex basis might be cool when a ship is in  a engine wash...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't think it would work for damage either, I played the mission where the Orion attempt to ram the Colossus, and Ewwwwww! :(

Yep, this would look good for Engine Wash, or anything viewed through an Engine Wash or Shock Wave, similar to heathaze?

Flipside :D

For things viewed through engine wash, explosions, and maybe for things viewed through the lensflare effects that are being tinkered with.  Toned down a bit, and possibly applied only to the second LOD.  Perhaps limiting the effect to non-capitol ships might be the way to go as well.

As has been mentioned, turrets do are not affected, but also any other mobile sub-models.  Most installations, except the Arcadia for some reason are not affected either.

Well, under the right circumstances the effect would be a really good addition to the eye candy.  It's a cool idea that just needs a little refinement.

Keep up the good work Bob.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'd like to see what this looks like as part of the cloak effect. :nod: As a damage effect, it just doesn't work. :blah:
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Black Wolf
OK - I take it back - after much fiddling about I did get this build to run at least as far as the tech room. I will not be doing that again.

thats exactly what i did :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
does anyone think it would be usefull on  the warpmodel/shockwave model
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmm, could give it a go - I see all this as experimental, so if it's not to much trouble to do - why not try it?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Screenshots please :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Originally posted by Ace
Screenshots please :)

for some odd reason i couldnt get the "take snapshot" button to work, nor did the Energy Managment System keys. (Home, End, PGUP, PGDWN, INSERT, DELETE). look into Bob...

But in general the moving is too "eww...."

It would make a nice "Organic effect" if the warping was slowed down; the pulsing. Might do good for an effect on newer shivan ships. only problem is the game lags consideribly since everything was on SPACE CRACK!

:ha:

Originally posted by Bobboau
does anyone think it would be usefull on  the warpmodel/shockwave model

yes! also maybe add it for the "ship trails" to give em a fluidic like movement, instead of being a solid thruster mesh, and possibly missile trails?

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
do you get that heat haze thing in space?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
no, it's caused by overheated air above, say, a car.
SCREW CANON!