Author Topic: Playing around with the 3d warp effect  (Read 39081 times)

Offline sabaoth

Re: Playing around with the 3d warp effect
Doh!  -.-  and just leave it named "a_subspace.vp"?  o.O

Offline Axem

Ah, sorry. I thought you were extracting the files from the VP.

But yeah, leave it named a_subspace.vp. The "a_" will make it supercede the MediaVPs so you don't get the old effect instead.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The effect is A1 soopah...  Once you got it working, i for one will be a happy bunny FS2'er.......(damn those bunnies)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline sabaoth

Okay...   dadgum!  lol, It's not working for me..  I have the 3d warp effect and such turned off.
Are there any certain options I need to turn on?  (sorry to be such a pain...  -.-  I'm jinxed or something)

:edit:  *reads over his own post..  reads the name of the thread...*

LOL!   Someone shoot me now..  "I have the 3d warp effect and such turned off."
Sorry...  *red faced*  *beats head on table*

It's a sign of some amount of intelligence or obsessive compulsive spell-checking disorder when you're able to find your own stupid mistakes.  :yes:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline sabaoth

Definately the latter...  :P

Looks very good, kinda subspace kitchen sink swirl :yes:

I dropped it into my "mediavps" folder because I always use them as secondary mod anyway.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay...   dadgum!  lol, It's not working for me..  I have the 3d warp effect and such turned off.
Are there any certain options I need to turn on?  (sorry to be such a pain...  -.-  I'm jinxed or something)

:edit:  *reads over his own post..  reads the name of the thread...*

LOL!   Someone shoot me now..  "I have the 3d warp effect and such turned off."
Sorry...  *red faced*  *beats head on table*

best realization of one's mistake EVER. :D :lol:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That'd be this one chick at my school realizing her skirt was...

nevermind...  :D

We all make stupid mistakes, some people however make embarassing stupid mistakes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Anyway, back to the Skirt  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I think the thread served its original purpose well enough.
Go on with the fruity details of your love life. And spare us non of the emberassing details  ;7
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Has anyone tried making a warp effect that doesn't have a glowing front surface, perhaps an "obscure" effect so the ship emerges out of a deep inky blackness?  Or even better, disappears into such.

Could someone post this file again somewhere, as GameWarden appears to be down ATM...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Game Warden is usually more stable than Hard Light... I'm amazed.

Offline Axem

It goes down every now and then. It does get real annoying when your projects are all based on there...  :blah:

Anyway, mirror...

http://www.mts.net/~jmsrmr/a_subpace.rar

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
You have some funny stuff on that webspace.

Yeah, I actually noticed it was down before I read this post, incidently, I was trying to download JAD 2.

Offline Axem

Hey hey hey! No snooping around in there. :mad:

*Removes critical documents*

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Sorry  :nervous:

Offline Axem

Nah, there was only 1 thing that's sorta non-public. The rest was junk, but I got rid of it since it was... junk. ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Huge bump, holy necropost, yadda yadda yadda, I know I know. Now, to business...

How, if possible, can I make the warp-in model to have glow and shinemaps? I'd like to experiment with them just to see what they would look like, but the model doesn't seem to use textures exactly the same way the actual models in the game do.

My line of reasoning: It's a model (despite being used as effect). So by all standards of FS2_Open, it *should* be able to use glow and shinemaps just like any other model. Only thing is, if I copy-paste and rename the effect files to include the -glow or -shine ending (before the EFF index number of course), it doesn't seem to do anything.

The model itself seems to use texture "Warpmap", plain and simple with no numbers... but the actual textures are either warpmap01 or warpmap02 (knossos portal effect). So... when the effect code makes the model use either warpmap01 or warpmap02, does it also prevent it from using glow/shinemaps?

A slightly blurred glowmap could be cool looking if it would work. And shinemap could likewise provide...interesting effects to say the least.

...another thing is that the DDS compression in these images seems to be substantial, resulting in noticeable pixelation when the maps are scaled up. I suppose that's because there are so much gradients in the maps and DDS compression doesn't seem to be at it's best with gradients... I edited them for my own use with selective gaussian blur, and the effect was immensely better, so I for one am ready to sacrifice some memory for that much better subspace warp effects. However, editing once compressed maps definitely eats a little detail away from the maps, so if there are any high-res uncompressed originals, perhaps release them for people to use and play with, if their system can handle them?

Here's how the selectively blurred TGA warp maps look like up close. I'm sure you all have noticed the pixelation that plagues the warp effect when it's big and close - do you see any here?

</necromancer chant>
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.