Author Topic: The official world cup thread  (Read 92068 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: The official world cup thread
Although lots of oportunities were wasted, now can you see why I was worried? :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Shade

So... Australia vs Japan. I have no clue about the level of either team so this could be interesting. But good luck to those down under :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just remember, you can't pick the damn thing up in this game ;)

Should be an interesting game to be honest. Japan are fast on their feet, and pretty good at working as a team, but lack physical presence, which is where Australia could probably gain an advantage :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*looks left and right*  :nervous:

F*** FOOTBALL!!!!!

*runs away*

Tsch.  and you have Prso in your team and everything.

What can I say - I love it and hate it at the same time.. I love it as a sport. I hate how people behave and the media bombardment...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So... Australia vs Japan. I have no clue about the level of either team so this could be interesting. But good luck to those down under :)

And I can't even get the bloody Radio 5 commentary at work because our network goes via Amsterdam, grr.

Offline Shade

I seem to recall seeing a 'listen to this live' link on the BBC for pretty much every match I read about. Might work if nothing else does. Oh, and wtf is up with Australia having Peter Stormare as their keeper? :p It seems to be working either way, aussies seem to have the upper hand from the start.

[Edit] Yep. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4852706.stm, just above all the red tabs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:17:56 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I seem to recall seeing a 'listen to this live' link on the BBC for pretty much every match I read about. Might work if nothing else does. Oh, and wtf is up with Australia having Peter Stormare as their keeper? :p It seems to be working either way, aussies seem to have the upper hand from the start.

[Edit] Yep. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4852706.stm, just above all the red tabs.

Aye, but it's limited to UK only, and all our networky stuff goes via Hamsterjam (even though I'm actually in cumbernauld).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
lol @ Hamsterjam
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
And I can't even get the bloody Radio 5 commentary at work because our network goes via Amsterdam, grr.

Maybe FootieFox is something for you ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Maybe FootieFox is something for you ?

Nah, I've got live scores.  It's live commentary or - even better - video I'm trying to fetch.  Unlikely, sadly.  Especially as P2P based apps are banned in the office.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Take a radio and headphones in with ya  :wtf:
Surely you can "style it out"
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Take a radio and headphones in with ya  :wtf:
Surely you can "style it out"

Well, it's a bit bloody late now, innit?

Sigh.

time to dig out that old portable telly, I guess. :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
2 Goals in 10mins! Nice going Aussie!

Make that 3....

You guys are on fire ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:54:14 am by Flipside »

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
WE WON!

Further validation of my policy that you can leave everything to the last minute, and still come out on top. :D

Offline Shade

Yeah, that looked like a loss for most of the match. Superb comeback. And I really dont think Japans goal should even have been counted, the way they trounced the keeper looked like a clear foul to me. Can't deny that Japan played well though, better than Australia for most of the match after the 20min mark, so they definitely deserved to score... but damn, the fighting spirit the australians showed was impressive even when they were being outplayed.

Ref had issues I think. the kind of issues best solved by a one-way plane ticket to someplace not Germany. Next up US vs Czech Republic. Haven't seen the US play since they had that keeper with the huge red beard who played in a Danish 1st division club, but their world rankings (for what those are worth, which isn't too terribly much, I mean, Denmark is ranked above both Italy and Germany and we didn't even pass the WC qualifiers. Must be our 4-1 destruction of England that still keeps us floating) suggest they're good. Guess we'll see :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Offhand, I remember the US team as a bit like a middling european team; little short on top-level experience (there's, what, Reyna and Beasley?), strong at the back, good technically, maybe a bit short on flair and genuine invention.  IIRC they beat Latvia and Venezuela in warm-ups but lost to Morocco.

The Czechs', I'd say, are just that bit better all round and - crucially - have genuine world class players in the form of Nedved and Rosicky (although IMO the Us do have a wee bit better width if they play Beasley on the right).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The yanks have a team?
These guys i s'pose you can call em a team  ;7
1 HOWARD Tim (GK)
2 ALBRIGHT Chris
3 BOCANEGRA Carlos
4 MASTROENI Pablo
5 O BRIEN John
6 CHERUNDOLO Steve
7 LEWIS Eddie
8 DEMPSEY Clint
9 JOHNSON Eddie
10 REYNA Claudio
11 CHING Brian
12 BERHALTER Gregg
13 CONRAD Jimmy
14 OLSEN Ben
15 CONVEY Bobby
16 WOLFF Josh
17 BEASLEY DaMarcus
18 KELLER Kasey (GK)
19 HAHNEMANN Marcus (GK)
20 MC BRIDE Brian
21 DONOVAN Landon
22 ONYEWU Oguchi
23 POPE Eddie

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=usa
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The Czechs', I'd say, are just that bit better all round and - crucially - have genuine world class players in the form of Nedved and Rosicky (although IMO the Us do have a wee bit better width if they play Beasley on the right).

Nedved is still in the team ? I thought he resigned after the EC. He's briliant though, I'd put my money on the Czechs.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Nedved is still in the team ? I thought he resigned after the EC. He's briliant though, I'd put my money on the Czechs.

He changed his mind and, er, unretired.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Aha, following the footsteps of Zidane and Figo.