Author Topic: Where to get Sol: A history and how to install on FS2 SCP Pack v1.6?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline dborden

Where to get Sol: A history and how to install on FS2 SCP Pack v1.6?
Hello everyone!  By the grace of God I ran across this bittorrent for Freespace 2(Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS )  I couldn't believe it. One of my favorite games of all time back from the dead.  I downloaded it and installed it.  Got it working with a mouse(now I need to go and purchase a flight stick again!)

I heard that Sol: A history was very good.  Can someone tell me where I can download it and how to install it in to my Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.6?

EDIT: Still looking for the Inferno download.  I think I have the download for SAH.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:13:41 pm by dborden »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Where to get Sol: A history and how to install on FS2 SCP Pack v1.6?
Sol : A History is tricky to get working with the SCP. I'd suggest starting by looking at this thread. You'll need Inferno to get it to work as well.

If you click on the link below for my FAQ you'll find a guide on how to install mods.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline dborden

Sol : A History is tricky to get working with the SCP. I'd suggest starting by looking at this thread. You'll need Inferno to get it to work as well.

If you click on the link below for my FAQ you'll find a guide on how to install mods.

Thanks for the link.  Checked out that post.  Little to know information.  It referenced downloading a table fix file on a different thread but did not link to the thread and I cannot seem to locate it.  I am also still looking for the downloads themself for Inferno as well as SAH.

If ANYONE has successfully gotten SAH and inferno to run properly on SCP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE(begs) contact me via pm or post here with quick instructions.  I am more than willing to run with it, and if it works well with the FS2 SCP pack v1.6 I will document the instalation, package the files, and possibly offer them up to download on my servers.

David

I can't tell you how to install it on the SCP Pack v1.6 made by ShivanSpS, however I can post step to step, and I believe it should work:

For Inferno:

1 - Download the Single File Version (INF_Main.vp) and the official SCP Patch update (INF_2Patch.vp), here is the URL:

http://inferno.hard-light.net/R1.htm

2 - Once you extract (or install) all the content (I think it's in a EXE installer), Go to your Freespace2\ directory and there create a folder called "inferno" (without the quotes),
3 - Copy both files into the "inferno" directory (the filenames are "INF_Main.vp" and "INF_2Patch.vp")
4 - Go to the SCP Launcher and select the MOD Tab, there select the directory where you placed the Inferno campaing

(*) My update package has actually a problem with a Missing file, so I won't make this more complex, you can check it in my thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37185.0.html

-----------------------------------------

For S:AH is different, this will not work, because it's a Sub-Mod (**)

Sol : A History

1 - Download Sol: A History: http://www.sectorgame.com/blaise/sah/Sol_A_History.zip
2 - Unzip. Go to you Freespace2\ directory and there create a folder called S_AH or Sol_A_History (or whateaver you like)
3 - Copy the files there
4 - Download the fixed TBLs: http://www.fileh.com/Shadow00000/Sol_A_History_FixedTBLs.rar
5 - UnRAR and be sure to place them in your S_AH or Sol_A_History folder (ex: Freespace2\Sol_A_History\data\tables\ ), it need to be inside the tables\ folder, so be sure to check
6 - Go to the SCP Launcher and select the MOD Tab, there select the directory where you placed Sol: A History

(**) Forget about step 2, in order to work need to copy all the S_AH package + the Fixed TBLs in the "inferno" directory, however by doing this you will not be able to select the INF Campaing, because it will override all the data (the Tables/ *.TBLs), so I'll recommend you make a backup copy of it for faster replacement...(I have already fixed this in my update, but I still not finished it, so there aren't other choices)

-------------------------------------------------------

I know is somewhat annoying, I have already make a VP for S:AH so it's easier to install, however if you want to see what a messed package is you should try to play Solar Wars (probabily I can explain how to install it in 1 to 100 steps)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:36:50 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Why do you need to install anything to the Inferno directory to make S:AH work? By using a mod.ini file you should be able to get S:AH to override anything in the Inferno folder that it needs to.

Offline neoterran

Why do you need to install anything to the Inferno directory to make S:AH work? By using a mod.ini file you should be able to get S:AH to override anything in the Inferno folder that it needs to.

S:AH Is a sub mod of Inferno, that's why. It was made before use of the SCP's mod.ini multimod became commonplace ? Either that or it's a windows vp loading order issue...
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Doesn't matter. Multimod was invented precisely to deal with this issue. Mod.ini's are simply an extention of the idea.

It doesn't matter whether a mod was made with multimod in mind or not. Where as previously you had to dump S:AH in the Inferno\Data folder you can now stick it in its own folder in much the same way as you can stick Inferno itself in its own folder even though it was designed to go in Freespace2\Data.

I'm just simply saying that if Shadow0000 is going to patch S:AH to work with Inferno he should do it so that both mods work correctly. I see no reason why he couldn't just package up a mod.ini file with his fix and have them both work. Maybe there is an issue that I haven't considered but I know damn well that both of those two did work with multimod cause they're the main reason I asked for the feature in the first place :)

I have already the mod.ini for Multi-Mod support, it basically is a "secondrylist = ,inferno,mediavps;" (the same I am using for Solar Wars), and that does the trick, however I didn't wanted to overwhelm dborden with lot of info, I was going to need the upload the mod.ini for download, and blablabla...even more explanations which are useless, after all I bet 99% of the people who play S:AH say just does it by placing it in the same dir as INF (or INF in the same dir as the Mediavps, without Multi-Mod in any case)...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:04:52 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I understand that but I generally find it's easier to deal with setting up a mod.ini now than deal with "Why can't I play Inferno any  more/How can I play Inferno again" style questions later. :)

Offline neoterran

I got S:AH to work with the fixed tables and secondrylist pointing to Inferno, the freespace 1 port, and mediavps. I gave it to dborden.
Chief Grognard.

Offline dborden

It appears to be running ok.  I haven't tested it thoroughly.  Im still playing FS1 port again.  God I love this game.  I also understand now how mod.ini files work.  Very convenient.  I'm having so much fun with FS1 then gotta move on to FS2 then on to inferno, and SAH and all the other downloaded campaigns i have.  So much freespace goodness!

Offline ShivanSpS

I hope to can add this two great mods in my next pack :D

Offline Cyker

WOOHOO! I look forward to that! ;)

Offline ShivanSpS

What happening which Fileh? is down or dead or something?

I need those fixed TBLs :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 10:57:28 pm by ShivanSpS »

Yes FileH is down, I recently registered to FileFront. Here, I upload it, is compressed in RAR Format:

http://files.filefront.com/S_AH_FixedTBLszip/;5080959;;/fileinfo.html

Does it work ?

Offline ShivanSpS

Yeah, thansx :D

P.D. I got S:AH Working which multimod.
[launcher]
image255x112 = SAH.bmp;
infotext     = It is 2335. For 14 years, the Terran-Vasudan War had been slowly grinding its way along, when the appearance of a third species changed everything. An implacable foe that simply would not die, the Shivans resisted everything the united Terrans and Vasudans threw at them. Their flagship, the Lucifer, destroyed the homeworld of the Vasudan people, and now it's on its way to Earth... Over the course of four campaigns spanning 37 years, 40 missions and the fall and rise of two inter-planetary powers, YOU are a soldier for Earth, a warrior for the Alliance, thrown into life-threatening situation after life-threatening situation... what part will you play in the developing history of Sol? ;
website      = http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/sbre/sah/sol_a_history.htm;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,20.0.html;

[multimod]
secondrylist = ,InfernoR1,mediavps;

Inferno R1 and S:AH now is in the Pack 1.8 :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 12:29:00 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline neoterran

wait for shadows full graphics updates and also the R1 update to his "final" version patch...
Chief Grognard.

Offline ShivanSpS

nah, that is not a problem which updates, the problem is which the 2gb files... and for that I have to wait until the Zeta are fully tested :D

How did u transfor the all the folders from Sol A History to a single VP file?

I've just Finished DerelictSCP.

Need new campaign to play, Inferno and S:aH sound good.

So I need SCP 1.8 then do I?

SO HURRY!!!!