Author Topic: Please help a noob!! Why does my game not look as good as screenshots?  (Read 12816 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Please help a noob!! Why does my game not look as good as screenshots?
To be honest we need good programmers more than we need good artists at the moment. Only a few of the team are actually actively fixing bugs and committing code at the moment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
What is volition doing now?  I want to work for them or make FS3

Wow I dont even have the texture files because im on dial up :( but I got the music and advanced effects. 
I want to make a game like this !!

I'll get the textures tomorrow on the wireless network at school but Im in awe about what you guys have done so far.
I can't believe I never found this game before.  I played Privateer and WC prophecy and Xwing and Tie Fighter.  Ive been around for awhile with the whole space sim thing.  This is what I love.  Homeworld etc Ive played alot of space based games but this is it!  I need to learn more about the game engine and c++ in general and Im not good at artistic things like textures and such but I can see an FS3 in the future and I want to be part of it!

email me at [email protected]

Psssst, Don't mention F------------S--------------3!

Or D*r*k S*m*rt

Read Karajormas FAQ for more details! It's in his signature above!

and welcome again!

EDIT: Edited to spell Karajormas name correctly! Sorry Kara!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:55:09 am by Wobble73 »
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:LOL:, I feel like its 2002 again, the amount of **3 questions flying around right now.
We need to make a new to HLP sticky with the ten HLP commandments or add to the Codes of Conduct.

In the beginning there was petrarch and he said..
"LO' ALPHA ONE DID FACE THE NOVA IN CAPELLA, BUT HE KNEW NO FEAR!, AND ON HIS RETURN TO US HE BESTOWED THE WORDS OF :V:"
1-Though shall not mention Eff Ess 3"
2-The D*R*K SM*RT Heathen will not be spoken of EVER
3-ETC, add to this by all means :D
[/i]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
From what I've seen ATI has perfectly good OGL drivers. You probably has a ****ty ATI card

If you don't believe me you can ask Taylor what he had to do to make env mapping work properly on ATI cards.  :nod:

However, as I said before, general usage should be fine. It's just riddled with tons of little bugs here and there.

Ugh i got wincvs and im trying to check out the code but it keeps exiting with a 1 error code.

[email protected]: /home/fs2root/cvsroot

is this the correct thing to put or did I leave out a space or not put one in or something?

I'm going directly of the cvs 1.2 page on how to get a copy of the code. 

What is an inferno build?  Do I need to get that in order to have the screenshots seen here??

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/wmcscreenies/inferno/index.php

I got the latest cvs and 3.6.8 media

Where are those cool nebula backgrounds coming from and there must be more textures that make the ships look metallic and more solid vs whats in the 3.6.8 media.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Inferno is a mod that is fairly popular, those screenshots are from Inferno.

The Inferno builds are special builds that used to be required by Inferno, because it removed several limits from the engine, now I think it is no longer required, but it's useful to keep a build with higher limits.

For the CVS:
It's /home/fs2source/cvsroot
That should worg...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
    Don't use WinCVS if you can help it. It's a horrible program. Tortoise CVS is a lot nicer.

Here's how you set things up

• Go to the Tortoise CVS homepage and download the latest version
    • Install it. You'll have to restart your PC afterwards
    • Make a new folder on your HD where you'd like to install the code. You'll need a fair bit of space for the code + the intermediate files when building it. Press right mouse and choose CVS Checkout from the list.
    • An new window will open up. Cut and paste this into the CVSROOT: textbox :pserver:[email protected]:/home/fs2source/cvsroot
    • In the module option at the bottom type fs2_open (exactly as shown. Do not use capitals) Your screen should now look like this
    • If you want to checkout the current stable branch rather than the development branch (Since you don't have write access you probably should go with the stable build so that that more of the bugs you encounter are your own fault) you should click on the revision tab
    • Click on the "Choose Branch or Tag" option. Press the Update List button. TortoiseCVS will then connect to the server and get a list of revisions
    • If you set up things correctly on the Module tab, you will be prompted for a password. The password for anoymous access is anonymous.
    • In the "Branch or Tag Name" dropdown you can now see a list of branches that CVS contains. fs2_open_3_6_9 is the one you want
    • Your screen should now look like this
    • Press OK to begin downloading from the repository. If not previously asked for a password you will be asked now. The password for anonymous access is anonymous.

It's pretty easy. Shouldn't take you more than a minute or two to do once you've installed Tortoise.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent!  Wikify that post! :D

Thanks again guys for the help.    ;)

Now how do I get the inferno build all set up and running??

I found an ftp site that said latest exes and dled an infernobuild there but it still looks the same.

Can you give me details on what files specifically I need.

Im currently running 3.6.8 mediavps and opengl 3.6.9 fs2open.

The inferno build I got was 20060630-P4Inferno.rar

There must be more to it then just that.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Indeed!
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Did you grab the R1 stuff from http://inferno.hard-light.net/R1.htm ? Don't forget the SCP Patch.

The inferno build is only going to make things look like those screen shots when you're actually playing inferno.....otherwise (in the case of Playing FSPort or any other mod) it's still going to look like a regular scp exe.....the data is in the mod.

If you DID grab all the R1 stuff (and the patch) and you're still having problems, then what are the command lines being used in the launcher?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:03:33 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Wow thats exactly the link I needed.  I didn't know how to get that mod before now.  Thanks alot i'll have to download it all and let you know if I come across any problems.

BTW the regular FS2 with 3.6.9 and the vps looks awesome!!

The lighting advances are really noticeable too very nicely done and great eye candy!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmm. I think there has been a misunderstanding here. You don't need Inferno builds unless you're a developer on the Inferno team. The current release runs perfectly well with standard SCP builds AFAIK.

I intend to. I tend to write posts like that with an eye for transferance to my FAQ or the wiki now :)

EDIT : Only problem is that I just tried to FTP in to upload the pics and my password wasn't accepted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:22:48 am by karajorma »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

I've just reached this thread... (sorry as it is pretty old).

PLEASE Kara, add it to Wiki  :yes:
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You know the great thing about a wiki?

Instead of bumping a 5 month old thread to ask someone else to add information thats listed, you could to that yourself!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
You know the great thing about a wiki?

Instead of bumping a 5 month old thread to ask someone else to add information thats listed, you could to that yourself!

Yes, but I don't know how to upload pictures  :confused:

(I've updated by myself some other threads, so please, don't suppose I'm SO LAZY. Although, maybe, I should have asked in Wiki zone how to do it ...)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
File upload in FSwiki still broken or rather prevented.

But next time... If you have the HLP theme, look at the selection bar on the left. Just under the 'search' field you can see toolbox area. Now if you are registered just press 'Upload file' and you are taken to upload page..
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
What is an inferno build?  Do I need to get that in order to have the screenshots seen here??

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/wmcscreenies/inferno/index.php

I got the latest cvs and 3.6.8 media

Where are those cool nebula backgrounds coming from and there must be more textures that make the ships look metallic and more solid vs whats in the 3.6.8 media.
I just realized that those nebulas are the ones I made a couple of years back.  Still nice to see them circulating around :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."