Author Topic: Please help a noob!! Why does my game not look as good as screenshots?  (Read 12907 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: Please help a noob!! Why does my game not look as good as screenshots?
You know the great thing about a wiki?

Instead of bumping a 5 month old thread to ask someone else to add information thats listed, you could to that yourself!

Yes, but I don't know how to upload pictures  :confused:

(I've updated by myself some other threads, so please, don't suppose I'm SO LAZY. Although, maybe, I should have asked in Wiki zone how to do it ...)

Finally I've uploaded the info to Wiki (without images). Please check it, (I'm neither code expert nor English speaker)

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Sourcecode_Reference#CVS_client_.28TortoiseCVS.29
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Thanks a bunch for that. :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline neoterran

you guys should really consider moving to SVN instead of CVS, it's way better.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
you guys should really consider moving to SVN instead of CVS, it's way better.
If we did, would you join the SCP?

Offline neoterran

well, if i could get the visual studio 2005 build to build an exe that didn't crash, probably so.

Actually, that other new guy who was trying to build ran into the same issue so maybe karajorma has helped him out enough so i can borrow a fix from him.

The problem wasn't linking errors, i solved all those, it was that it successfully builds an exe that crashes.

This was back when i was importing VC6 files into 2005 project tho - i heard there is a better 2005 project checked in now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:12:52 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You know the great thing about a wiki?

Instead of bumping a 5 month old thread to ask someone else to add information thats listed, you could to that yourself!

Yes, but I don't know how to upload pictures  :confused:

(I've updated by myself some other threads, so please, don't suppose I'm SO LAZY. Although, maybe, I should have asked in Wiki zone how to do it ...)

Finally I've uploaded the info to Wiki (without images). Please check it, (I'm neither code expert nor English speaker)

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Sourcecode_Reference#CVS_client_.28TortoiseCVS.29

:rolleyes:

Great.  I prolly just wasted 20 mins... http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Getting_the_FreeSpace2:_SCP_Source_Code

It was already done.. sorry, I used the freakin' search function instead of reading the rest of the thread.  By now I should know never to trust any search engine on a forum / wiki... they're worthless.  :mad:  I searched "tortoise", I searched "cvs", and this didn't show.  Oh, and sorry for the
:necro:

EDIT: Well, at least I learned how to upload pictures, link them, format wiki text, and insert links in the wiki.. not a total waste, I guess.  :doubt:

EDIT2: And it's all kara's fault.  He didn't link to the wiki; he linked to his post:p
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:26:18 pm by jr2 »

Offline Shade

Well, yours has pictures. That means you win ;) Much easier to follow that way.

[Edit] How about this: We'll keep your version, make the old, bland one into a redirect, and stick links to your version in both http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started%28Main%29 and http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Development_Reference ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:31:42 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh.  I guess it was worth it then.  Should we merge the two?  ( kara? )

Offline Shade

Changed links to point to your article, and added a few redirects to cover some likely search terms (getting the source, getting the code, getting the source code).
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thx.  :)