Author Topic: RELEASE: FS2 Stock Missions with Lightspeed Nebulae  (Read 33756 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
RELEASE: FS2 Stock Missions with Lightspeed Nebulae
I have added Lightspeed nebulae to all of the standard missions in FS2.  These backgrounds were sourced either from other campaigns which were set in canon systems, such as Derelict, from Singh's Background Emporium, or created by me.  The intent is to make each system recognizable on sight and consistent across campaigns.

These are intended for the next Media VPs, but I am putting it up early to solicit feedback.

Includes:
  • Backgrounds using Lightspeed Nebulae pack by Blaise Russel, Singh, Lightspeed and myself.
  • Texture replace now uses the 'standard' replacement method instead of the duplicate model method
  • Retail compatibility should be retained in these missions.  If you do not have Lightspeed's nebulae, the original nebulae will be displayed
  • ARSPR's 'Mystery of the Trinity' fighter positioning fix

FIXED BUGS:

"Rebels and Renegades":
In the briefing animation "Beta" (as it's identified by they briefing text) is labeled "Theta".

"Endgame"
The GTCV Monitor is a Deimos class corvette but uses the cruiser icon in briefings

"Their Finest Hour"
The message "Alpha, Delta wing's heavy bombers are now at your disposal." is sent by the Colossus but the head ani is that of command.

"Love the Treason"
The word "hijack" is misspelled as "highjack"
ship-guardian added to Snipes so that he can not be killed

"Exodus"
Nebtuu's departure order changed to distance relative to its destination (the right side of the warp point) rather than the center of the warp point.

Rehosted at wc saga by Tolwyn, thanks very much!  :yes:

Download

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:28:36 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: RELEASE: FS2 Stock Missions with Lightspeed Nebulae
So is this... Freespace 2: Jump to Light Speed? :lol:

Anyway, this is great thing. Downloaded immediately, will try them tomorrow. :nod:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Woohoo!  Awesome. :yes:

Wow, hadn't realized you even kept retail compatibility.  That's even more awesome.

I am very encouraged to see this fulfilled at last.  Too bad Lightspeed isn't around to see it.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
i played some missions and doesnt found errors.
and it luck really cool, nice work  :yes:. thanks :).

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Shade

Yay, an excuse to replay the main campaign again. Nice work :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Downloading just now

• ARSPR's 'Mystery of the Trinity' fighter positioning fix

This is the very first time I appear in any kind of "credit titles".  (A tear coming down ...)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Most awesome :yes: Thanks
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline ShivanSpS

Is great, good job :yes: adding to the extra mission pack of the 2.0 vercion of the Fs2_open full pack :D

Offline CaptJosh

Yay, an excuse to replay the main campaign again. Nice work :)

You need an excuse?   :confused: :confused: :confused:
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
mhh i think yes.

i believe that the most people they buy the game at the release the campaign played so many times that they know the campaign compltly.

for example, i have played the campaign so often that i have stop to count it *g*, yes i make fun after all, but to play it a next time again in a short time is really low and will go lower.

so without really modifications the will to play it again is imho for the many people low.

back to topic: i played the most mission of the campaign and found no errors.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline CaptJosh

I know absolutely every secret in Super Mario Brothers. It doesn't stop me from enjoying playing through it.

Admittedly it's usually to amaze someone by beating the game in under an hour with no warps...

Still fun, though.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
ok last post for that: i doesnt say that it make no fun or that it isnt enjoyable, but you must understand that if you all know the most people have the requirement to play it often again and again and so on.
its enaugh sometime and some people not have the requirement to play it over a long time again.

thats the same if you dont want to eat very day morning and eveing icecream or some other food ;).

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Bugfixing --I don;t know if anyone recalls a very old thread around fixing the bugs in FS2 as part of FSU.  Since I have added all these backgrounds and nameplates anyway, I thought it logical to fix minor bugs in the campaign itself.  Below is a list of bugs I have already fixed and one to discuss:

FIXED BUGS:

"Rebels and Renegades" (loop1-1.fs2):
In the briefing animation "Beta" (as it's identified by they briefing text) is labeled "Theta".

"Endgame"
The GTCV Monitor is a Deimos class corvette but uses the cruiser icon in briefings

"Their Finest Hour"
The message "Alpha, Delta wing's heavy bombers are now at your disposal." is sent by the Colossus but the head ani is that of command.

"Love the Treason"
The word "hijack" is misspelled as "highjack"

DISCUSS
"Love the Treason"

The invulnerable SEXPs on Snipes can be overcome if he takes too much damage all at once.  This makes it possible for Snipes to die, which V clearly did not intend.  ship-guardian should be added to Snipes at the beginning of the mission to prevent him from ever being killed.  This solution semed to be the consensus in the old thread, but I'll post it up here again before making the change.

Pleae post up any other minor bugs you may know about.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Dysko

Well, I found this bug by chance... :rolleyes:

At the end of the 1st mission, I thought I had pressed "Alt+J" correctly, then I had to help my father in a job. After half an hour, when I returned to the PC, I saw that I didn't press "Alt+J" correctly. And the GVD Psamtik was still here after half an hour, because the wings deployed by the Psamtik (Theta and Zeta, IIRC) didn't have any movement order, so the Psamtik never departs.

Well, I think this bug has a very low priority, since nobody stays to see the Psamtik jump... :)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Who says the Psamtik is even meant to jump?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The psamtik actually yells at you to jump a few times...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Admiral... I think I love you.  :eek2:

Offline Dysko

Who says the Psamtik is even meant to jump?
When I used for the first time FreeSpace (yes, back in 1999, and I was only 11...) I remember that when I jumped out the Psamtik ordered Iota to dock. So I tried to stay and see what happened. After both Iotas docked and undocked (and after Command cursed at you for not jumping, like Taristin said... :rolleyes:) the Psamtik jumps out to aid in the Alpha Centauri blockade.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Did you see this bug very recently? Cause if so I don't think it's a bug in the mission at all. I think it could be that bug from Proving Grounds appearing again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dysko

Did you see this bug very recently? Cause if so I don't think it's a bug in the mission at all. I think it could be that bug from Proving Grounds appearing again.
I don't remember seeing this bug recently. This morning I saw this bug by chance...
Actually, it may be like the Proving Grounds bug, since Theta and Zeta wings remain in front of the Psamtik fighterbays without even attempting to move.
IIRC, the Psamtik departs only when Theta and Zeta return to the fighterbay...