Author Topic: In defense of the MX-64...  (Read 6105 times)

In defense of the MX-64...
Being a dad of a toddler, I don't tend to get that much time to sit and play, but it doesn't mean I can't print and read FS Wiki entries. I had been poring through the FS2 weapons database and remembered something about the MX-64 that I'd read (how it was a good tool for intercepting bombs), and how I'd somewhat accidentally blasted the forward beam cannon off of the NTC Maelstrom with a barrage of MX-64s. So, I started paying more attention to the humble heat-seeker, and realized...

This is a great missile. It's got a range of 1900m, no lock-on and decent off-boresight firing (if the target is just out of your forward view, you probably will still get a track), and rapid re-fire. Eight missiles knock down any turret on the Cain, which is nice because you can start to engage  turrets on a long-distance attack run, and in a bomber like the Ursa, each missile bank holds twenty MX-64s, so two banks gives you the chance to engage a bunch of turrets on a single run if you start at max range.

I would imagine that on a more nimble and speedy fighter, you could use the MX and the B key to target and hit quite a few bombs without necessarily having to get visual on them and then get the gun over. That's something I'll have to practice. But try viewing it as an alternative to the Stiletto II that can't get shot down. I like it!

Offline Dylnuge

Re: In defense of the MX-64...
The wiki does not have weapon entries. It also absolutly does not have one on the MX-64. Just wondering why you mentioned this at the front of your post. Either, the MX-64 is eaisly the best Fire and Forget missle in the game. I still like aspect syncing missles and bombs better (although flying a bomber is more difficult).

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons_Database

Maybe we're talking about two different things, but this is the Freespace Wiki Weapons DB.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
<3 the Rockeye.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The rockeye was probably the most popular TvT weapon in the PXO days (although harpoons would have been better if they weren't generally unavailable). A barrage of rockeyes is surprisingly difficult to shake off and the heat seeking ability is very useful at close ranges. I rarely use them in singleplayer missions though since you can't carry many of them; a full load of rockeyes will deal out much less damage than one of tempests or harpoons.

Offline Dylnuge

I have no idea why searching the wiki for Weapons, FS2 Weapoms, and MX-64 yielded no results.

Perahps the search is broken. Thanks for the link.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I found the long range very useful in Surrender, Belisarius!

Not for actually killing NTF fighters so much as approaching the Belisarius, shooting it with a few rockeyes and then retreating away to bag an extra 400 points and a Deimos kill on the first mission :D

Given that it's probably more points than you can earn for the rest of the mission that makes it very much worthwhile to do :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I always used all Tempests in that mission, put power to engines, and got most of the Hercs and a Deimos to boot

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In nebular missions, the Rockeye can actually help you find the enemy! Use the infinite weapons cheat and fire around. Some of them will lock onto a target, just keep firing in that direction and you will eventually run into something. Useful in Mystery of the Trinity.

PS You killed the Beli?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The retail version (it might have been fixed in open) ignored beam damage when deciding who had done the most damage to a ship. So it looked at the Belisarius and found that the damage I had done to it with my rockeyes was greater than anything else done to it and gave me the kill.

Ever wondered why you end up with a Sathanas kill to your name in High Noon? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Centrixo

rockeyes are a bit difficult, trust me i know :D. i preferr harpoons. stronger homing, more manoverable, faster and bigger explosion. ive only ever killed 4 enemy fighters and 3 turrets with rockeyes, compared that to harpoon, ive killed well over 250,000 fighters and over 5,600 turrets.

as for that what i said trust me; well. ive fired well over 25,000 rockeyes and over half of these missles miss thier target, so i got stuck in situations with the wrong missle. in some cases i have to dig out of reserve when i have 1% health and more enemies incoming.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
rockeyes are a bit difficult, trust me i know :D. i preferr harpoons. stronger homing, more manoverable, faster and bigger explosion. ive only ever killed 4 enemy fighters and 3 turrets with rockeyes, compared that to harpoon, ive killed well over 250,000 fighters and over 5,600 turrets.

as for that what i said trust me; well. ive fired well over 25,000 rockeyes and over half of these missles miss thier target, so i got stuck in situations with the wrong missle. in some cases i have to dig out of reserve when i have 1% health and more enemies incoming.

:confused:  How do you fire 25,000 rockeyes but only get 4 kills? I get that many kills in the first mission (not including primary fire) with less than 20 missilses!!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
By..... using the cheats to give himself infinite rockeyes, and firing blindly in a nebula for hours on end?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Centrixo

lol, dont you use your brain? my basis is all on the, fs2 missions in the main campaign.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

Offline Shade

I think I get more than 4 Rockeye kills just by playing "Surrender, Bellisarius" two-three times. It's a nice missile, what with not requiring a lock and all, you just need to know how to use it.

Specifically, you have to realise that due to the way it tracks its target you can't use it when there's a high angular velocity between you and the intended victim, so a bit more effort to get a good firing position is needed. Of course, anyone who has fired 25.000 Rockeyes probably knows this... or at least, should.

In my opinion, the biggest downside to the Rockeye is their size and somewhat limited power; you simply can't carry as many of them as you can Harpoons and at the same time it takes more of them to down a target, something which can become a serious issue in several of the longer missions. For those reasons I do prefer the Harpoon, but nonetheless the Rockeye is by no means as useless as 4 kills from 25.000 missiles would suggest.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Centrixo

so be it, i have vast experience on this space stuff. thanks to alot of people who give info without thinking, but my view is my view, and yours is yours, so why the conflict of interest? because im trying to help you understand that you dont think to see that other people no matter how hard they try, cant work the rockeye out. and as im being me, my immediate concern is waiting for the next attack from aldo or some person like thatto happen. anyway now you know about the rockeye so you dont get ideas.

Offline Shade

Um. I'm fairly certain I understand english, but I'm having one hell of a hard time deciphering what you just said. Well, apart from the first line, which was fairly obvious in it's arrogance. A hint about that, by the way: Mostly everyone here has a lot of experience with "this space stuff", so you might want to think twice before accusing anyone who disagrees with you in the slightest of not thinking. I imagine it'll make your stay much more pleasant in the long run.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Heheh...I gave up on him long before he got to "this space stuff".

Anyway, points of view can be fun, don't you think?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The retail version (it might have been fixed in open) ignored beam damage when deciding who had done the most damage to a ship. So it looked at the Belisarius and found that the damage I had done to it with my rockeyes was greater than anything else done to it and gave me the kill.

It was changed to count beam damage shortly after the source was released but then reverted back, as it was affecting the scoring too much. I remember there were some arguments over this back then.

Offline Dylnuge

Its nice aginst fighters and bombers. Aginst larger targets, the Stiletto II is a better fire and forget. But the payload is of course lower, and so is the range it can track at.