Poll

Would you be interested in an INF:A standalone mod?

Yes if there's new content as well
30 (76.9%)
Yes if it's exactly like the currently INFA
2 (5.1%)
No, leave it as it is as FS2 and INF SCP required
7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: February 09, 2007, 03:45:11 pm

Author Topic: Alliance Standalone  (Read 25137 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Since some people seemed interested in the idea.

Would you be interested in Inferno Alliance becoming a standalone mod like INF SCP, TBP etc...

There's two ways that this can be done:

1. Straight port of current mod to run as it is

2. A bigger update, full support for as much FS1 stuff as possible, combine additional fleet and INF:A2 ships into one large table requiring an INF Build. Add new tech entries and possibly new weapons so that the EA ones can be introduced later. Get mission designers in to update the INF:A missions to make them more 'complex', voice acting for all personas and in game dialogue (which will probably be updated for the voice)
The objective of this version is to have a big FS1 style mod that does not require FS2, with INF Alliance/Alliance 2 as the main campaign. I'll need staff members for this one obviously :)
It would take more time, but can be done while INFA:2 is in development

Either way support for the current version will not be terminated, though this version may have more content for user mods to use than the current setup.

My vote went to the best-case situation. =/ I've never worked as staff on a mod, but I do understand that it takes a LOT of time and effort ...and since this is, also, the school year (I do not know how many of you all are still in school), that's even worse.

So, yeah. The updates you proposed (particularly the voice acting and extra ships) sounds amazing, awesome, and just reading your post has me incredibly interested in it ...but it also sounds like it could be borderline too much for you guys. I don't know how much you guys do, I don't know exactly how hard it is to make these things...though I can bet it's hard, and that this would be a lot of work.

If you could pull it off, I'd love all of you INF guys. o.o;

So, yes, I'm interested. Definitely!

...and now I'm annoyed that I can't help out...*prods brain to learn how to FRED better*

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well some of it would be pretty easy, like importing FS1 stuff. Voice acting would be done at the very end so we could use the same voices for the INF:A2 campaign. Most of the work would be updating the INF:A missions and creating new weapons and expanding the original storyline a bit.

Offline Centrixo

ive had alot of trouble with 2, example tbp there is waaaay too many errors. even if you see no errors there are a awful lot.

im sticking with 1
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The only errors in INF SCP is when the coders change things and I don't know about it :D

I'll also provide full patches and continued support for it.

Well, whatever you decide, I'll be happy to HTL-ify some ships (as I have been doing), and I might be interested in voice acting... I don't have any experience, but how hard can speaking into a microphone be? :lol:
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Looks good, at least on paper. I would voluneer my FREDing services should the plan go through.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Cunning, very cunning, Woo. Another excuse to delay INF SCP.

ANYway, a cool idea for people who's FS2Open is messed up. After seeing what it has to offer, I think it's pretty interesting.

I'd say leave as is. It's not that I don't have faith in your modding skills, Woo, it's just that I can't see this as having enough content to become a standalone mod (IMHO).

Besides, INF SCP is standalone, right? Why not incorporate INF:A into INF SCP. (Man, it's fun typing all these acronyms!  :D). It seems the most logical choice to me. Don't know how workable that is, though.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

but how hard can speaking into a microphone be?
It's easy, but having the results be believable and not sleep inducing is not. Compare even say, Derelict (which is OK) to something like Crimson Skies (which is movie quality), it's night and day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:21:49 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Somehow I feel that, somewhere along the line in Inferno's development, it'll eventually become a mod that ties in so tightly with FS2.

I can see it now... the Techroom is bombarded every single weapon, ship, techroom entry, mission, nebula, and every other file/cbanim/voice/wingman persona/BLABLABLA from FS1, FS2, INF:A, INF:SCP, the additional fleet, and even cockpitted versions of the SOC fighters and other abandoned ships meant for the original INF R2, whatever they are... And even that doesn't cover everything...

The Alpha 1 compendium XD

Bleargh, I must be strung-out tired... not thinking straight. :sigh: Oddly enough, my mind's fat-hope-wishing for a regular SCP build that allows unlimited (dynamic, they call it?) shipclasses...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I'd say leave as is. It's not that I don't have faith in your modding skills, Woo, it's just that I can't see this as having enough content to become a standalone mod (IMHO).

Besides, INF SCP is standalone, right? Why not incorporate INF:A into INF SCP. (Man, it's fun typing all these acronyms!  :D). It seems the most logical choice to me. Don't know how workable that is, though.
Well the final INF:A and INF:A2 combo with the additional fleet goes over the 130 ship limit already, so I don't thing content will be an issue.
You can run INF:A as a mod of INF SCP already, but you can't have both sets of ships at the same time.

The problem is that INF:A runs on slightly different tables for both versions which may cause issues for modders trying to get new content to work for both versions. This version would have a seperate table set so that wouldn't be an issue.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Its up to you Woo, i would vouch for whatever is chosen. A Standalone is certainly a cool prospect though.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Although I voted for Standalone, things that Dark Hunter pointed out have changed my overall view. I'm so easily swayed. :o

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well like I said content should not be an issue, INF:A's already getting too big for regular builds as it is :D

Offline mr.WHO

I vote for stand alone version, with reFREDED missions to have more action/more complex and voice acting (in place of current: mission start, incoming enemies message, 8 waves of attack, mission end :(  ).

I woud be happy to see some single missions where you play as Earth, JC, Plutonians and some FS1 style ambush missions.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How come INFA will have voice acting but not INF SCP? :wtf:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Because INF SCP is a lot bigger and needs to also have the voice done at the ned of the main story, since the INF SCP campaign will be released in parts, voice can't be done.

Also I can't gurantee voice for INF:A if nobody is interested and no voices are provided.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No voices > Bad Voices > MSSam (arguably MSSam could be better than Bad Voices :P)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Standalone already partially working with mission 1 playable, though there's practically no sound effects at the moment :D