Author Topic: Graphics Issues on OS X  (Read 18049 times)

Offline Benabik

Graphics Issues on OS X
I'm having serious graphics issues on OS X.  (MacBook Pro, 2.16 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, OS 10.4.9)  I used Turey's installer to install FS2_Open.  I also grabbed all of FS2 retail, Media VPs (advanced), and the FS1 port.  My cmdline_fso.cfg (set using the launcher) is:

-spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -3dwarp -warp_flash -img2dds -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ballistic_gauge -mod fsport,mediavps

I haven't gotten past the first FS1 training mission, but so far the graphics look pretty FUBARed.  Similar issues also occur with the first FS2 training mission.  What I'd say is wrong is:

• particles appear as large boxes
  • instructor's ship doesn't appear (except for engine glow and odd decal)
  • target display appears as a block of blue, with green boxes instead of text.

Here's a screen shot (links to full 1440x900 version):

Am I missing files or options?  Wrong options?  What's going on?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Graphics Issues on OS X
That's not an X1600 based machine is it? Cause we've had no end of complaints about that particular card in the BSG mod.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Benabik

Erk.  Yes. From System Profiler:

Chipset Model:ATY,RadeonX1600
Type:Display
Bus:PCIe
VRAM (Total):256 MB
Vendor:ATI (0x1002)
Device ID:0x71c5
Revision ID:0x0000
EFI Driver Version:01.00.068
Hopefully I'm not completely SOL.  Anything I can do to help debug it?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I've handed the code off to someone with the hardware in question (I don't have that card and can't replicate the problem) who is willing to try and locate the problem.  Hopefully there will be a way to work around it in the code.  But a bug report has already been filed with Apple as well, since it ultimately appears to be their problem.  With any luck I'll get some news this weekend with either a fix, or at least the exact cause of the problem.

I'm having the same problems, also an X1600 based mbp. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I've been looking everywhere for a solution. Any status updates yet?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I never heard back from the guy, unfortunately.  I'm hoping that all of the bug fixes that have been done in the graphics code for 3.6.10 will just make this problem go away, but that's really wishful thinking.  There should be a public test build next week for OS X (it will be compatible with 10.3.9+ for the first time too) so you guys with that particular video card can find out for yourselves whether it's fixed or not. :)

I never heard back from the guy, unfortunately.  I'm hoping that all of the bug fixes that have been done in the graphics code for 3.6.10 will just make this problem go away, but that's really wishful thinking.  There should be a public test build next week for OS X (it will be compatible with 10.3.9+ for the first time too) so you guys with that particular video card can find out for yourselves whether it's fixed or not. :)

Thx for all the effort you're doing :). Btw, what do you mean by "compatible with 10.3.9+", I'm using 10.4.9 and aside from the x1600 gfx issues, everything's working just fine.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Btw, what do you mean by "compatible with 10.3.9+", I'm using 10.4.9 and aside from the x1600 gfx issues, everything's working just fine.
Previously, the OS X builds would only run if you had 10.4, and not everyone does.  I changed the building to allow for at least 10.3.9 compatibility, so that those people still using 10.3 will get to play too. :)

Offline wdarkk

I'm having the exact same problem (my boxes are green, though) using an x1900. Any luck with that public beta?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'll release a test build from my Xt tree at some point this week.  I don't want to give anything more specific than that though, since it will just depend on when the new Xt build comes out in general.

Offline wdarkk

Thanks - btw, if you can give me some info on the bug report you filed with apple, I can file another one through my rep there.

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
I'll release a test build from my Xt tree at some point this week.  I don't want to give anything more specific than that though, since it will just depend on when the new Xt build comes out in general.

will this built be available for everyone or only beta-testers?
would be nice to test it on my mbp, so my wife can use the G5  :)
and i don't have to fight for my time at the G5 for fso   ;7

Offline wdarkk

would be nice to test it on my mbp, so my wife can use the G5  :)
and i don't have to fight for my time at the G5 for fso   ;7

Yeah, I'd be interested in pla... er, helping test it too. Mostly because the only computers I have ready access too are the Mac Pro with the aforementioned x1900xt and a cruddy iBook that can't run the game at all (I tried once, runs out of RAM so drat fast).

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Thanks - btw, if you can give me some info on the bug report you filed with apple, I can file another one through my rep there.
I didn't file the report myself, so unfortunately I'm not aware of the details.  Feel free to file another one, but we still don't really know what the cause is, so it's would be probably be tough for an Apple dev to do much with it at this point anyway.

It will be publicly available, but only recommended for testers.  And I probably wouldn't use the term "beta" to describe it's quality, but it shouldn't be too bad.  It's not going to be guaranteed to work properly in other words.

And, just as a test, I think that I'm going to include a possible change relating to this graphics problem.  It's not going to be a fix per-se, but merely disable some bits of code that I think may be hiding what triggers the driver bug.  Performance and graphics quality will suffer as a result of this, but perhaps if enough of you help out then I'll be able to track it down to just the problematic bit of code.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Incidentally, do the Apple executables have debug versions?  If so, perhaps a log.... ?

Offline wdarkk

Incidentally, do the Apple executables have debug versions?  If so, perhaps a log.... ?
:mad: The launcher locks up for some reason when I try to select the debug version. No idea why.

Anyway, I ran the debug version by double-clicking it and ran a mission where I could get the bug to appear fairly easily. Where is the log file saved?

Edit: found it!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:16:28 am by wdarkk »

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
:mad: The launcher locks up for some reason when I try to select the debug version. No idea why.

Anyway, I ran the debug version by double-clicking it and ran a mission where I could get the bug to appear fairly easily. Where is the log file saved?

[your-user-dir]/library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

Offline wdarkk

[your-user-dir]/library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

Thanks. Now, where's this debug_filter.cfg that the log mentions, and what settings should I give in it?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:25:44 am by wdarkk »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Thanks. Now, where's this debug_filter.cfg that the log mentions, and what settings should I give in it?

make an empty file in the same directory as the fs2_open.log, and name it debug_filter.cfg. That'll give you all the debug messages.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline wdarkk

Ok, log file is attached (zipped, since it exceeded the attachment limit otherwise).

Also saw some errors on the console that I put into a text file if they meant anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]